• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers Aren’t Your Friends…!
9 9

256 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2023 at 8:02 AM, blazingbob said:

I did not know.  Normally people ask if they can take a picture or interview.  

I get it,  they want "real"

"real" depends on your reality I suppose. Not cool in my book. Not to mention you become the content (for free) they sell to however Youtube $-metrics work.

Edited by NoMan

On 8/15/2023 at 9:52 AM, Robot Man said:

Maybe depending on their intentions and how well you know them. I have only had a few board members that I know, like and trust come over. Most of my non collecting friends have been here but have no knowledge or interest in my stuff. Makes them smile but I will never divulge prices or value. 

There is a local kid who has bugged me for years to “get in”. He started out by asking what my “best book” (most expensive) was. He is an aggressive flipper who basically wants to get in with his cell phone and take inventory of what he thinks he can cheat me out of to flip. Nice kid, but he has no appreciation of the hobby or understanding of what it takes to curate a collection. I am always cordial with him but give him no information. He will NEVER “get in”…

Lots of guys like that out there.  They just see you and your collection as a dollar bill

On 8/16/2023 at 12:40 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I just watched his next video and OMG please tell this guy not to come anywhere near any booths I'm manning.

I made it to about the 4:00 mark, and couldn't take it anymore. What a Doosh.

On 8/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, blazingbob said:

Listen,  this is the new version of reporting.  No interaction,  come up with an opinion, throw a title that is always one to create controversary and basically say whatever you want.   

If I came up to his booth at a show he sets up at I'm sure I could "paint him with broad strokes" as he responded to Foolkillers post in the video thread. 

I am also not sure how Dealers could be your friend if we have never met before or done business and frankly this isn't a guy that rings a bell.  

Usually friendship builds over time.  

Friends usually don't throw you under the bus either.  

Shoot. I have known you for what 14-15 years? I wouldnt call us friends, I would say we are friendly for certain and that we always have some kind of nice conversation. But to think because you went up and looked at a dealers books that they should just give you books below cost and ask how your dogs are doing is absurd. And your pricing is always fair, and your grading is accurate, so whats he crying about? See you in Baltimore Bob, I am sure you will be happy to see Jess lol

On 8/16/2023 at 11:07 AM, thehumantorch said:

Lots of guys like that out there.  They just see you and your collection as a dollar bill

True dat. After 50 years collecting they are so easy to spot. Their pathetic stories and manner of dealing has been going on for decades. I’ve probably seen them all. I have used the kid I mentioned earlier to dump stuff he thinks he is getting a great deal on. Just a little spice to lead him on. I lead him on with the flimsly promise that when I get ready to sell some good stuff, I will give him a call. I won’t.

You can’t fool an old fool…:roflmao:

lol what a d-bag. I made through maybe 5 minutes of the second one clicked away.

I'm not sure what he's expecting from dealers. Does he think that a five minute conversation makes him a BFF? It's symbiotic relationship between buyer and seller that hopefully benefits both parties. I hopefully get a good (percieved) deal and the dealer moves inventory at a profit. I've met a number of people from here at cons, had dinner with a bunch and would have a beer with anyone of you. Hopefully I'll meet more of you either traveling or at cons, talk some comics, hopefully have a few laughs but I'm likely not going to invite you over for dinner and meet the fam. If over the years that happens with some people, that's cool too. 

I find most dealers open to respectful offers. I've made many offers here, sometimes they get accepted or countered and other times it can't be worked out so we both move on. No harm, no foul. At cons, including Terrificon last month, I was able to negotiate a discount on a multi-book purchase. I made an aggressive but reasonable offer, he countered a little and I accepted. I thanked him, grabbed his business card if so I ever make it out that way again I would be a repeat buyer. I didn't consider asking him out for dinner after the show because I thought we were now friends :eyeroll:.

Show up and if looking to make a larger purchase, be prepared with a price point(s) on books you are looking to acquire. I have two books that I'm looking to get, knew the grade range and  price I was willing to spend. No one had them at the con so I went with plan B (shrug)

Nobody trying to sell anything to you is your friend.  Or at least that's the approach I take. LOL. :)

I've seen some of this guy's previous YouTube videos, and he seems like a nice enough guy, but some of the videos just seem like he's out to get clicks and cause controversy to get those clicks.  He's a bit of a hot take guy in that regard.  I decided not to follow him after watching a couple of those videos and deciding he was not my friend. :(

PSA : Car dealers are not your friend, either.  Just want to get that out there.

On 8/9/2023 at 12:52 PM, Antman’s shorter brother said:

I finally watch the video. I take offense to his  using a photo of High Grade Comics as an example of an overpriced dealer. At the last NYCC, Bob sold me a copy of OAAW 83 and couple of early Showcases at an attractive price. And that was the first time I ever met Bob.

this sticky goose has lost credibility with me.

Yeah, I take offense as well. These clowns have no idea how many different factors can go into the price of the book. I bought from several different dealers in SD and Bob was one of them. I purchased a few cool books including a nice Atlas PCH and he gave me what I believe to be a strict grade and a fair price. At no point was the concept of "overpriced" part of the narrative. No, this is just another example of YouTube weenies being weenies.