• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers Aren’t Your Friends…!
9 9

256 posts in this topic

this guy is a collector, and does not take a high priced book out of the Mylar to inspect it? LOL. drop 5K and leave the con and go home? then all of a sudden the light bulb goes off and "lets pull it out of the bag, and see if it's all there"? 

whoever this dealer was should not be off the hook either, selling Key books, and not going over them page by page to determine a price. 2c

On 8/23/2023 at 5:39 PM, DR.X said:

this guy is a collector, and does not take a high priced book out of the Mylar to inspect it? LOL. drop 5K and leave the con and go home? then all of a sudden the light bulb goes off and "lets pull it out of the bag, and see if it's all there"? 

whoever this dealer was should not be off the hook either, selling Key books, and not going over them page by page to determine a price. 2c

This is top advice and one thing I tell every one to do. Well, a few days ago, I didn’t take my own advice and paid the price.

I was selling at a local toy show and bumped into a guy I buy and sell to frequently. I pulled out 3 or 4 GA books. I checked them out in the bags and they looked good. His prices were real good so I bought them.

Got home and found one had a panel out. I went back the next day but didn’t mention it. He turns up a lot of cool stuff at great prices so I don’t want to spoil the source. It was cheap and even with the damage worth at least what I paid for it.

My bad. I should have checked. I won’t make that mistake again…

On 8/24/2023 at 9:51 AM, october said:

Who goes to a con and randomly spends $5k on raw comics without A) knowing the dealer or B) knowing how to spot awful resto or C) TAKING THE BOOKS OUT OF THE BAG? This guy is the absolute pinnacle of "dumb money". Total clownshoes. 

Bingo.

If I'm really looking for raw books, the dealers have no problem sliding the book out of the "trick" Mylar. I also bring a very small flash light as the con lights are not very good. I can look at the staples better, and up and down the inside cover for color touch.

I think going in with the expectations that that a dealer will be your friend is just a weird subset of the attitude that retail people exist specifically to serve you. They're there running a business, making money... and anything is only worth what people will pay. If it's out of your price range, there's a point where you just have to accept it's not meant to be in that moment. 

Not to even get into the fact that walking up with a camera strapped on, when you're clearly not press... is a pretty great way to make a bad first impression. It is strictly basic business in the face of a go pro when you don't know where the footage will end up for what reasons.

On 8/24/2023 at 10:25 AM, blazingbob said:

Sticky just wants to be the new Morton Downey Jr of Dealer haters.  

Who can hate these guys???

Bob is wearing the minus sign out on his calculator in these pictures for me!

Bob .jpg

IMG_4485 (1).jpg

My interactions with dealers are usually "If I give you $200 can I be your friend".

Usually the answer is a hard no, but sometimes they cut me a deal and for $300 I walk out of that con knowing I got a new friend.

I'm really not very good at this comics thing.

On 8/24/2023 at 10:28 AM, goblinjareth said:

I think going in with the expectations that that a dealer will be your friend is just a weird subset of the attitude that retail people exist specifically to serve you. They're there running a business, making money... and anything is only worth what people will pay. If it's out of your price range, there's a point where you just have to accept it's not meant to be in that moment. 

Not to even get into the fact that walking up with a camera strapped on, when you're clearly not press... is a pretty great way to make a bad first impression. It is strictly basic business in the face of a go pro when you don't know where the footage will end up for what reasons.

I have to disagree with the he is not press. Anyone who takes pictures, video and shares information to other people are press and it's a protected right.

Buttttttt!!!!! He is on private property not in public or public property so one should ask for permission to take photos and record.

People ask cosplay people is it ok if I can take your photo.

And one should ask dealers is it ok if I take a picture/video of your wall books.

Most smart dealers will say ok because it's free advertising on social platforms.

Now asking dealers questions/interview while recording one should ask is it ok to record.

Otherwise catch them outside on the sidewalk where there is no expectation of privacy in public.

I hope this post isn't political talking about rights?

Edited by southern cross

On 8/24/2023 at 5:04 PM, southern cross said:

I have to disagree with the he is not press. Anyone who takes pictures, video and shares information to other people are press and it's a protected right.

Buttttttt!!!!! He is on private property not in public or public property so one should ask for permission to take photos and record.

People ask cosplay people is it ok if I can take your photo.

And one should ask dealers is it ok if I take a picture/video of your wall books.

Most smart dealers will say ok because it's free advertising on social platforms.

Now asking dealers questions/interview while recording one should ask is it ok to record.

Otherwise catch them outside on the sidewalk where there is no expectation of privacy in public.

I hope this post isn't political talking about rights?

To clarify a couple of things:

You're right that he's on private property, but it is private property that is open to the public.  (This is very different than private property such as your house.)   And you're right that there's no expectation of privacy on the sidewalk, but there's also no expectation of privacy at an event like this either (or a cosplay convention, a shopping mall, or a super market for that matter).  

So there's no prohibition against him taking pictures in this context, though as it is ultimately private property he may be asked to leave.  Though it's true that out of decorum it's good practice to simply ask people permission, even if you don't need to.

On 8/25/2023 at 6:18 PM, Poekaymon said:

To clarify a couple of things:

You're right that he's on private property, but it is private property that is open to the public.  (This is very different than private property such as your house.)   And you're right that there's no expectation of privacy on the sidewalk, but there's also no expectation of privacy at an event like this either (or a cosplay convention, a shopping mall, or a super market for that matter).  

So there's no prohibition against him taking pictures in this context, though as it is ultimately private property he may be asked to leave.  Though it's true that out of decorum it's good practice to simply ask people permission, even if you don't need to.

As I said before he is looking for a "real experience" where he can control the commentary.  This is not a request for a "interview",  this is "his experience" where he can control and provide the "sticky goose" agenda without any pushback.  

Edited by blazingbob