• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers Aren’t Your Friends…!
9 9

256 posts in this topic

If he HAD got a "deal to a steal?"

I wonder how much that would have involved calling out "AWESOME 'DEALERS AND COMIC CONS!' WE'RE ALL FRIENDS!"

Or if it would have been a regular show of "check out how good I am of spotting deals, I'm an expert YouTube'R and you're lucky to have followed me cause I'm the best!!"  :roflmao:

images.jpeg.jpg

On 8/24/2023 at 5:04 PM, southern cross said:

I have to disagree with the he is not press. Anyone who takes pictures, video and shares information to other people are press and it's a protected right.

Buttttttt!!!!! He is on private property not in public or public property so one should ask for permission to take photos and record.

People ask cosplay people is it ok if I can take your photo.

And one should ask dealers is it ok if I take a picture/video of your wall books.

Most smart dealers will say ok because it's free advertising on social platforms.

Now asking dealers questions/interview while recording one should ask is it ok to record.

Otherwise catch them outside on the sidewalk where there is no expectation of privacy in public.

I hope this post isn't political talking about rights?

I mean any talk like that is going to be minorly political, but I get where you're coming from lol. It's less about his right to film (it is his right) and moreso the impression it makes on people around you. There is press, and there is Press. When it's professional Press, there's a certain level of expectation already established where them having professional-level equipment exudes an expectation that they will act professionally and are coming from a place of reporting as a job. When it's a random person with a (albeit decent) amateur's camera, it starts off on the wrong foot, because they could be anyone. 
Funny you should mention cosplay, because I am a cosplayer. Someone taking a candid with a semi-professional camera doesn't bother me. Honestly, I would like them to ask mostly so I can exchange socials with them, because I love con photographers! But some rando taking a picture on his phone while I'm digging around in my bag in the ATM line (true story) comes off as inconsiderate/selfish. Like why do you want a terrible quality photo while I'm looking for my debit card? If someone comes up to me at an event with the ameteur camera already rolling, there's every chance it could be for one of those hyper critical YouTube essays or weird TikTok "I'm accosting you on the street" videos, which I wouldn't want to be a part of, since we haven't established the social contract of being honest upfront. 

On 8/27/2023 at 9:25 PM, goblinjareth said:

I mean any talk like that is going to be minorly political, but I get where you're coming from lol. It's less about his right to film (it is his right) and moreso the impression it makes on people around you. There is press, and there is Press. When it's professional Press, there's a certain level of expectation already established where them having professional-level equipment exudes an expectation that they will act professionally and are coming from a place of reporting as a job. When it's a random person with a (albeit decent) amateur's camera, it starts off on the wrong foot, because they could be anyone. 
Funny you should mention cosplay, because I am a cosplayer. Someone taking a candid with a semi-professional camera doesn't bother me. Honestly, I would like them to ask mostly so I can exchange socials with them, because I love con photographers! But some rando taking a picture on his phone while I'm digging around in my bag in the ATM line (true story) comes off as inconsiderate/selfish. Like why do you want a terrible quality photo while I'm looking for my debit card? If someone comes up to me at an event with the ameteur camera already rolling, there's every chance it could be for one of those hyper critical YouTube essays or weird TikTok "I'm accosting you on the street" videos, which I wouldn't want to be a part of, since we haven't established the social contract of being honest upfront. 

I'm not into cosplay, but I do get a kick out of seeing people in their elaborate outfits doing super mundane stuff like standing in line at Starbucks or walking out of the restroom. That being said, it never crossed my mind to pull out my phone and take pictures. 

On 8/9/2023 at 3:41 PM, wiparker824 said:

Most of the dealers I’ve actually bought from at cons are way too busy to talk life and become my best friend. They really just want to talk business - after all that is why they are there - and if they have quality selection and reasonable prices (only reason I’d stop in the first place) they usually have multiple customers they’re dealing with at once. 

Do people really experience what this video implies? Like a dealer just has time to sit there and chat you up? My conversations usually go like this:

Me: “If I get book X and book Y could you do $200 total?”

Dealer: “Best I can do is $225”

Me: “Okay cool” … proceed to hand cash… “Thanks”

No part of this do I think we are now “friends”. Just a person running a business and a customer. 

LCS owners are a different story. They build a rapport with customers they see every week for years. And they also aren’t always super busy like a con floor, so there are times when I have sat and chatted with those types. It’s never some sort of weird predatory thing  where I’m pressured into buying something as being portrayed in this video though, just a friendly business owner - which isn’t a bad thing.

lol You must be someone who has never brought up baseball with Ritchie of Tomorrow's Treasures.   I did like asking his WS picks when he was in town at a show. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/28/2023 at 8:45 PM, thehumantorch said:
On 8/28/2023 at 4:31 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

In the guy’s new video he accuses Marc Nathan of being sauced during their interaction.

I'd have to be sauced to sit through an interview with him

I would probably go to critical mass in about 5 minutes and just tell him to STFU.

On 8/28/2023 at 7:11 PM, Buzzetta said:

lol You must be someone who has never brought up baseball with Ritchie of Tomorrow's Treasures.   I did like asking his WS picks when he was in town at a show. 

Ritchie is a Mets fan. Believe me I know. I have actually agreed with him to get a discount…:roflmao:

He was unusually quiet about it at Torpedo last month. I didn’t rub it in but I didn’t want anything he had for sale. :busy:

Besides, kicking down a fellow lover of the game isn’t my style anyway. With the exception of a couple of teams…:devil:

On 8/28/2023 at 5:31 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

In the guy’s new video he accuses Marc Nathan of being sauced during their interaction.

Oh, that's only one of the gems in the video...

So apparently the dealer (Marc?) bought a book from this StickyGoose guy at a con in 2022.  His Royal Stickiness then says he heard that the dealer's peers and coworkers "humiliated" him for paying too much.  (He also mentions that this is the same trip where he got kicked out of multiple comic stores.  hm)

So he sees the same dealer a year later and wants to sell some more books, and this time the dealer is "sauced" and doesn't want to deal with him.  (He makes it very clear that he means the dealer is drunk.)  Then you get this gem:

“Obviously he does not like me whatsoever because I… I got him. I mean, I sold him something that he overpaid for.”

The video then gets pretty adversarial with dealers in general.  He says that when dealers tell him to stop filming, now he just walks away.  The reason?  Strap in...

“How stupid do you have to be to not want promotion, to not want exposure of whatever it is you’re trying to sell, and if you were to give me, uh, a little bit of a deal or just show me any kind of love, I mean, I can literally promote you.  And and I’m not trying to be arrogant, I’m not trying to be egotistical, I’m just, I’m just telling you the truth.  And if these guys don’t realize that, they’re just dummies.”

(worship)

So now he's apparently "shadowbanned" from this year's convention, and the persecution is real:

“It’s kind of one of those things where you try to be a nice guy, with the uh, you know, with filming and promotion and saying how good a shop is, saying how great a convention is, only to get it spat back in your face, um, when when the good guys (which, I’m saying me as a good guy… and you, as the show goers), once the good guys win one and get one on these dealers, this is what happens.  So I’m shadowbanned from Big Lick Comic Con.”

So beware not to "get one" on these dealers, people, or you could be next!  :roflmao:

Edited by Gonzimodo
Typo

On 8/29/2023 at 2:17 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Oh, that's only one of the gems in the video...

So apparently the dealer (Marc?) bought a book from this StickyGoose guy at a con in 2022.  His Royal Stickiness then says he heard that the dealer's peers and coworkers "humiliated" him for paying too much.  (He also mentions that this is the same trip where he got kicked out of multiple comic stores.  hm)

So he sees the same dealer a year later and wants to sell some more books, and this time the dealer is "sauced" and doesn't want to deal with him.  (He makes it very clear that he means the dealer is drunk.)  Then you get this gem:

“Obviously he does not like me whatsoever because I… I got him. I mean, I sold him something that he overpaid for.”

The video then gets pretty adversarial with dealers in general.  He says that when dealers tell him to stop filming, now he just walks away.  The reason?  Strap in...

“How stupid do you have to be to not want promotion, to not want exposure of whatever it is you’re trying to sell, and if you were to give me, uh, a little bit of a deal or just show me any kind of love, I mean, I can literally promote you.  And and I’m not trying to be arrogant, I’m not trying to be egotistical, I’m just, I’m just telling you the truth.  And if these guys don’t realize that, they’re just dummies.”

(worship)

So now he's apparently "shadowbanned" from this year's convention, and the persecution is real:

“It’s kind of one of those things where you try to be a nice guy, with the uh, you know, with filming and promotion and saying how good a shop is, saying how great a convention is, only to get it spat back in your face, um, when when the good guys (which, I’m saying me as a good guy… and you, as the show goers), once the good guys win one and get one on these dealers, this is what happens.  So I’m shadowbanned from Big Lick Comic Con.”

So beware not to "get one" on these dealers, people, or you could be next!  :roflmao:

If he were truly funny instead of being "shadowbanned" he would have said he was "Condomed" by the Big Lick for his protection.

He’s put out a few videos in the past that I have viewed and enjoyed.  But, I really don’t understand all the shade towards dealers.  

Unless you’re constantly finding the books you want out in the wild yourself, who are you going to buy from?  

Out of all the transactions I’ve done over the years with many different dealers, I can count on one hand the times that a transaction wasn’t good.  I really don’t understand a lot of his logic.