• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An Art Dealers Physical Location for Customers - Do They Have Them?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I know just watching Dueling Dealers that Mike and Anthony have parties and BBQs where they invite customers to come or to "swing in and pick up art" etc. Do those guys (or anyone else like Albert Moy, Panel Page, Will's, etc) have physical locations that a person can go into to shop, or are they strictly online operations and those places serve as a location to pack/store/mail things out?

I'm sure Anthony must have a large warehouse for his products and employees - what about the other guys? I'm just curious, really - I'll likely not venture out far enough to meet anyone face-to-face, but I am curious how their businesses operate on the days they are not attending conventions.

I know you were asking more about US dealers, but many (most of) French and Belgian dealers have a physical gallery with openings, exhibitions, etc. I would say 12 of them in Paris + 3-4 more in other locations in France, and 3 in Brussels. Not comic book stores but galleries, as they are all dedicated to comic art (even if Daniel Maghen also has his own publishing house).

On 8/10/2023 at 12:58 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Not a particularly neat store

I remember other "dirty" shops in NYC where you could find (comics) treasures like "Roger's time machine". Got my hands brown after afternoons there.

My motto is now : even if the store is dirty, if the comics are under plastic bags, GO !

I was thinking that the walk-in traffic specifically for comic art would be pretty sparse. I like the comment regarding European comic art dealers having a store front, doing exhibits and showings, etc - that seems pretty pro-active. I'd say a lot more difficult in the USA since collectors are spread out so far. Anthony's place is probably one of few places with enough comics to bring people in to peruse all the available art.

I imagine the markup required to justify rent and overhead would outpace the on-site sales. I had a retail art gallery 23 years ago - and even back then I was making more sales online than on-site, which eventually led me to close the gallery and just go online.

I doubt that even “regular” art dealers in the US get enough walk-in business to justify a physical location. See also: Mr Glass in Unbreakable. 

Those bbqs hosted by Mike seem to be at his home, dubbed the “Romitamansion” on Dueling Dealers.  Apparently it is spacious from what can be observed in Mike’s “CAF cribs”  entry on youtube. 

Edited by Will_K

On 8/10/2023 at 10:33 AM, Ecclectica said:

I remember other "dirty" shops in NYC where you could find (comics) treasures like "Roger's time machine". Got my hands brown after afternoons there.

My motto is now : even if the store is dirty, if the comics are under plastic bags, GO !

Reminds me of when I was a college student and found a shop like that in Harrisburg. Picked up Vault of Horror no. 15 for $7.00, but had to pass on an old Blackhawk because I didn’t have $14.00.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, Will_K said:

Way back when, I went up and visited @artdealer  We later went for lunch (burgers) with Berni Wrightson. Does that count ?  

Until you mentioned it, I completely forgot about that lunch. 
As a rule, I don’t have many people up here. 
In 32 years, I can count the number of people I’ve had here on 1 1/2 hands. 
And the people that have come here have been invited. 

On 8/10/2023 at 12:48 PM, Will_K said:

I doubt that even “regular” art dealers in the US get enough walk-in business to justify a physical location. See also: Mr Glass in Unbreakable. 

Those bbqs hosted by Mike seem to be at his home, dubbed the “Romitamansion” on Dueling Dealers.  Apparently it is spacious from what can be observed in Mike’s “CAF cribs”  entry on youtube. 

A Comic Art Gallery is a severe waste of money. Rent, utilities, framing, advertising, only to get a couple people a week. It was quite lonely there 5 days a week. 
As a former gallery owner I can attest to all the above. 

On 8/10/2023 at 10:48 AM, Will_K said:

Apparently it is spacious from what can be observed in Mike’s “CAF cribs”  entry on youtube. 

CAF Cribs? Oh man, now I've got something to watch tonight. I've commandeered our entire basement for original art and comics, time to gets some ideas and take it up a notch!