• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.6 with a tape pull?
4 4

29 posts in this topic

Just bought a slab off the 'Bay. TMNT #2 first print 9.6. When it arrived, I mostly made sure the slab was undamaged. Now, getting ready to hang it up, I've noticed a tape pull that takes much of the "U" and half of the "M" in Mutant on the cover. Would this have been a 9.8 without? Any chance CGC missed the pull? Graders notes are hidden and I can't get them being as I was not the one to submit the book. Thoughts?

image.thumb.png.e12b86552971aba0b5d5cd2ca22b8ec3.png

Edited by Calidream'n

On 8/10/2023 at 6:50 PM, JollyComics said:

If it's eBay, you can return it.   You can return by clicking it as it is not as described.  eBay will support you in no matter what.

Good to know. Luckily the seller agreed to a return, so no hassle. Only loss is the postage and the taxes I paid on it. Whew! :bigsmile:

Edited by Calidream'n

On 8/10/2023 at 7:03 PM, Calidream'n said:

Good to know. Luckily the seller agreed to a return, so no hassle. Only loss is the postage and the taxes I paid on it. Whew! :bigsmile:

When you get the refund, the taxes will come back, too.

As a Not As Described item, you could also push for return shipping reimbursement. But there's time and work involved. 

Tape pulls are tricky.

Sometimes.

Here's my HoS 92. The book was graded back in 2004 as a 5.0. No notes available. I suspect the tape pull was factored into the grade, however I didn't even see it until I broke it out of the slab a few years back.

HouseofSecrets92.thumb.jpg.36e4d547147161f23d940aec39d9bd5f.jpg

20230810_174241.thumb.jpg.4f0eaa1f93214ae7ccdf03d544ec6bf3.jpg

On 8/10/2023 at 6:15 PM, Calidream'n said:

Just bought a slab off the 'Bay. TMNT #2 first print 9.6. When it arrived, I mostly made sure the slab was undamaged. Now, getting ready to hang it up, I've noticed a tape pull that takes much of the "U" and half of the "M" in Mutant on the cover. Would this have been a 9.8 without? Any chance CGC missed the pull? Graders notes are hidden and I can't get them being as I was not the one to submit the book. Thoughts?

@cgcmike

perhaps show this to your QC mgr. The poor person who purchased this at minimum will lose money even if the lion share they are getting back. Thing is it never should have got that far.  Not sure your QA mgr, QC dept, and superioers care but your errors have detrimental consequences to the average person.

As for the seller, I will be searching eBay to find out who it was to add them to my own private seller avoid at all cost list which given nature of Comics Seller is rather long :(

• Administrator
On 8/10/2023 at 9:05 PM, MAR1979 said:

@cgcmike

perhaps show this to your QC mgr. The poor person who purchased this at minimum will lose money even if the lion share they are getting back. Thing is it never should have got that far.  Not sure your QA mgr, QC dept, and superioers care but your errors have detrimental consequences to the average person.

E-mail sent!

On 8/10/2023 at 8:05 PM, MAR1979 said:

@cgcmike

As for the seller, I will be searching eBay to find out who it was to add them to my own private seller avoid at all cost list which given nature of Comics Seller is rather long :(

It was graded last March.  Probably no.

Also the book being horribly off-center in the slab wreaks of end-to-end slipshod quality control. 

CGC's or their parent company's solution to handling QA issues was to reduce the return window. It appear to have got to the point where they are saying just give us your money and keep quiet, and it works!

Edited by MAR1979

Can you tell for certain that it is a tape pull and not a printing defect? Can you clearly see that there's paper loss? If so, then that is a huge whiff on the part of the CGC graders.

On 8/10/2023 at 7:44 PM, grendelbo said:

Tape pulls are tricky.

Sometimes.

Here's my HoS 92. The book was graded back in 2004 as a 5.0. No notes available. I suspect the tape pull was factored into the grade, however I didn't even see it until I broke it out of the slab a few years back.

HouseofSecrets92.thumb.jpg.36e4d547147161f23d940aec39d9bd5f.jpg

20230810_174241.thumb.jpg.4f0eaa1f93214ae7ccdf03d544ec6bf3.jpg

That tape pull is tiny and wouldn't have pulled it all the way down to 5.0 from a high grade. It must have been factored in to the grade, but in that mid-grade range, I doubt whether that defect took it down more than one increment. The graders probably saw it as a 5.5 absent that tape pull.

Edited by jimbo_7071

• Administrator

The operations manager asked that you contact him directly regarding this, and he will try to make it right with you.  I will send his address via PM.