• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Hulk #340
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

pretty rough example here. There is significant water damage throughout most of the book (bottom left to right) and top staple is detached from center fold.

book has not had a c/p but will be sent in soon. 
thanks to all in advance! 

IMG_8630.jpeg

IMG_8631.jpeg

IMG_8632.jpeg

IMG_8633.jpeg

IMG_8634.jpeg

IMG_8635.jpeg

IMG_8636.jpeg

IMG_8637.jpeg

IMG_8638.jpeg

IMG_8640.jpeg

IMG_8641.jpeg

IMG_8642.jpeg

IMG_8643.jpeg

IMG_8644.jpeg

On 8/13/2023 at 6:22 PM, scburdet said:

Max 4.0. Personally, I avoid sending anything that could be deemed stained/water stained. They're quite unforgiving with these things

Understood. Do you have it at a 4.0 after a good c/p? The presser I plan to do gives it what’s called an “aqueous bath” 

I am not an expert on the subject, but anything beyond dry surface cleaning is almost guaranteed to result in a Restored or Conserved label. Conservation by chemical cleaning is typically reserved for Golden Age, high value books, which wouldn't be as big a deal since aesthetically pleasing copies can be rare. A Restored label on a modern book will typically sell for ~50% of a Universal label at the same grade (I have not seen a modern book with a Conserved label). If there was no water damage, the color breaking defects present on this book that won't be fixed by pressing, would max the grade out around 7.0. A Hulk 340 newsstand Universal label has a FMV at this grade of <$150. Grading alone costs $25. Add shipping and whatever the c/p fees are. Right now, there is a newsstand 7.0 on ebay available for $145, and an 8.5 for $200.

On 8/13/2023 at 8:42 PM, scburdet said:

I am not an expert on the subject, but anything beyond dry surface cleaning is almost guaranteed to result in a Restored or Conserved label. Conservation by chemical cleaning is typically reserved for Golden Age, high value books, which wouldn't be as big a deal since aesthetically pleasing copies can be rare. A Restored label on a modern book will typically sell for ~50% of a Universal label at the same grade (I have not seen a modern book with a Conserved label). If there was no water damage, the color breaking defects present on this book that won't be fixed by pressing, would max the grade out around 7.0. A Hulk 340 newsstand Universal label has a FMV at this grade of <$150. Grading alone costs $25. Add shipping and whatever the c/p fees are. Right now, there is a newsstand 7.0 on ebay available for $145, and an 8.5 for $200.

I appreciate your vast knowledge as usual. If you want me to be quite honest, I have no plans to grade this book. I’ve never graded one. I just like to get a base line grade for all of my raw books and you all are much more knowledgeable than me at guessing grades.

whatever looks pretty in a Mylar is good enough for me!