• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

October Heritage International Art Auction
3 3

88 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2023 at 8:45 PM, Messier3499 said:

yikes, the Intl' auctions carry a 25% vig for the buyer - not the 'usual' 20%

That just means I'll calculate the amount of the bid I put in by dividing the gross price I'm willing to pay by 1.25 instead of 1.2.  Won't affect the gross price I'm willing to pay at all. 

On 10/5/2023 at 7:57 AM, batman_fan said:

😳 Thats a whole lot of money for a Miller

lol

I'm a big fan of his 80s and 90s work and even I'll admit he stinks most of the time these days.   

main-qimg-02047cbc510dc40db8e6e166831afd

Edited by Bronty

On 10/5/2023 at 10:25 AM, Bronty said:

lol

I'm a big fan of his 80s and 90s work and even I'll admit he stinks most of the time these days.   

main-qimg-02047cbc510dc40db8e6e166831afd

Not a fan of his recent style/ work either

Edited by comix4fun

On 10/5/2023 at 12:32 PM, comix4fun said:

Correction....He's 66 and looks like he's 666. 

If he's only 66 those are some hard miles on that odometer.

Reminds me a bit of Gordon Lightfoot before he passed away.   Gord looked like a skeleton near the end.

On 10/5/2023 at 1:01 PM, Bronty said:

Reminds me a bit of Gordon Lightfoot before he passed away.   Gord looked like a skeleton near the end.

Definitely not many highway miles for sure. 

On 10/5/2023 at 1:01 PM, Bronty said:

This was back in Feb 2016. When Stan Was 94 and Frank was 59.

ScreenShot2023-10-05at1_09_59PM.thumb.png.447eb62ff36ecf1f03c75166154bd342.png

On 10/5/2023 at 4:26 PM, artdealer said:

Actually, no.

I guess my point was that he's had some hard miles so its not surprising that the artistic output has seen some better days.

Fair enough though, I'll edit that comment out.

Edited by Bronty

On 10/5/2023 at 3:26 PM, artdealer said:

Actually, no.

Frank is almost 67.

Is it really necessary to make snide comments? What purpose does it serve?

You don’t like his work, fine. But to make snarky comments about how he looks is unnecessary.

I read his comments as concern, maybe that's because that's what I feel when I see him. The man's an icon for a realm of art and storytelling and, given how many we've lost in the last 20 years, seeing someone look ill or older than their calendar age is disturbing. 

On 10/6/2023 at 4:51 AM, comix4fun said:

seeing someone look ill or older than their calendar age is disturbing

But then again, Keith Richards has looked like he's about to keel over any day now (for 50 years and counting).

On 10/5/2023 at 2:26 PM, artdealer said:

Actually, no.

Frank is almost 67.

Is it really necessary to make snide comments? What purpose does it serve?

You don’t like his work, fine. But to make snarky comments about how he looks is unnecessary.

I agree with you, but your history of snarkiness on these boards makes for some pretty great irony here. 

On 10/6/2023 at 12:01 PM, comix4fun said:

On the artist's rep's site he marks it clearly as a homage/redo and writes extensively about the artist's love and influence from Wrightson. That didn't make the description now though. 

On 10/6/2023 at 2:25 PM, comix4fun said:

On the artist's rep's site he marks it clearly as a homage/redo and writes extensively about the artist's love and influence from Wrightson. That didn't make the description now though. 

Shame he didn’t sign it ‘after wrightson’

On 10/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, Bronty said:

Shame he didn’t sign it ‘after wrightson’

Yeah, wouldn't have prevented the connotation it now carries absent the context. 

Any results that stuck out on day 1?   Most of the material is outside my wheelhouse although I was following a Mario bros illustration.    No confirmed usage (ha described as being a French poster but there’s no clear evidence of that on the net or through ha reps).   Nice illustration and vintage but either unpublished or published in France.     Sold for 10k even which was about what I expected - it’s unpublished or barely published but it is a nice illo. 

Notable other results? 

Edited by Bronty

On 10/6/2023 at 2:03 PM, Bronty said:

Any results that stuck out on day 1?   Most of the material is outside my wheelhouse although I was following a Mario bros illustration.    No confirmed usage (ha described as being a French poster but there’s no clear evidence of that on the net or through ha reps).   Nice illustration and vintage but either unpublished or published in France.     Sold for 10k even which was about what I expected - it’s unpublished or barely published but it is a nice illo. 

Notable other results? 

I had this saved because it looked pretty cool, never saw this show, no clue what any of it is about but was surprised at the result when I got back to the computer this afternoon.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/production-cel/berserk-season-1-episode-6-guts-pan-sized-key-master-setup-production-cel-c12-a1-olm-1997-/a/7345-51013.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Does anyone believe that there are any John Buscema pencils underneath the Dan Adkins inks? Wasn't this around the time Adkins was doing those look-alike drawings for collectors where he would draw a commission in the style of, say, Buscema? Am I misremembering?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/john-buscema-and-dan-adkins-silver-surfer-illustration-original-art-1999-/a/7345-52060.s?type=bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus