• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scan Collection - Futile?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Have an HP Officejet Pro 8100 - Perhaps scan collection for Insurance, sale, ??. Easier to look through scans than long boxes.

Figure 60% Copper/Modern - Rest SA/BA. Much is $bin stuff.

Scans of front and back good for selling right?

50 long boxes.

Waste of time?

That IS an enormous task. I get weary just thinking about it. 

For insurance purposes, have someone take a video over your shoulder as you flip and lift each book in the box. Only the good stuff individually.

The common books, just pan the video across the open boxes, just to show relative fullness. The insurance company is only going to ballpark it anyway, and then pay you as little as possible. 

On 8/19/2023 at 6:08 PM, Lightning55 said:

That IS an enormous task. I get weary just thinking about it. 

For insurance purposes, have someone take a video over your shoulder as you flip and lift each book in the box. Only the good stuff individually.

The common books, just pan the video across the open boxes, just to show relative fullness. The insurance company is only going to ballpark it anyway, and then pay you as little as possible. 

I think this makes the most sense.

50 longboxes @ 300 books each is 15K books. Scan both front & back = 30K scans.

At 1 scan per minute, you're looking at 500 hours of work ( about 2 straight months @ 8 hrs/day).

Maybe just scan the keys?

Bigger thing is to have an accurate database with the proper information & backup documentation.

-bc

I started the registry in 2015, by 2016 joined the boards. I didn't start entering books for the registry until 2019, by then I had 200+ slabs. I got them all done and considered it worth it within a month. Idk depending on purpose and etc, just do what counts.

Especially of you then have a place to view and reflect, it can be rewarding compared to bin diving your own collection. At least do a paper list, and if you can remember date, place, and cost, but up to you.

I have about 1/3 as many books as you do.  I have an Excel spreadsheet that has everything, including cost where I know it and from whom I bought it.  I have undertaken a scanning project over the last couple of years, off and on.  It's a gigantic task, just for my small collection. I'm only scanning the front covers as I don't really sell books and more than doubling the workload was too terrible to contemplate. I am concentrating on Silver Age but tend to go through an entire title while I'm working so tend to go right through Bronze and Copper.  I try to scan new books as they come in.  I have boxes of Modern and DC book I'm sure I'll never scan.

I agree with the advice above - concentrate on your high value books first, and then maybe anything you really like and want to show off here, or stuff you think you might want to sell.  Good luck!

On 8/19/2023 at 3:59 PM, TheBigJ said:

Have an HP Officejet Pro 8100 - Perhaps scan collection for Insurance, sale, ??. Easier to look through scans than long boxes.

Figure 60% Copper/Modern - Rest SA/BA. Much is $bin stuff.

Scans of front and back good for selling right?

50 long boxes.

Waste of time?

I'd suggest you start scanning your best stuff, set a minimum value of $100 or $200 or whatever works for you.  Once you've done that if you still have time and energy you can start scanning books worth less.