• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Normal for Comic Connect to add buyers premium after the auction starts?

8 posts in this topic

Have you guys ever seen CC update the buyers premium of 15% “after” the auction starts? I bid on a few books that I am certain did not have the buyers premium listed at the start. I just checked and with 4 days left the description is updated with the 15%. It was probably an oversight but adding after it starts can be painful on some of these.

I'll have to pay attention to that as I, like I imagine you, avoid bidding on CC auction items with the buyer's premium. That CC started to do such is one of the main reasons I very rarely bid in its (edit) actions auctions (Action Auctions. I'll copyright that. :smile:).

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe

I don’t know that I’ve seen it added after the fact but it is funny that they still outline alternative options to using CC and the downsides of those options… in particular using an auction house that charges a buyer’s premium. 

If you follow this advice you should not sell books on CC :roflmao:

IMG_1745.jpeg

I knew I was not asleep behind the wheel. The Bobby Blue books were the ones I had been bidding on, the consigner actually has a video on August 12th scrolling through them and there was no Buyers premium on several that now have the fee.

Batman 62 no fee.PNG

batman 62 fee.PNG

Mad 1 no fee.PNG

mad 1 fee.PNG

Edited by PKJ

On 8/22/2023 at 10:39 AM, PKJ said:

I knew I was not asleep behind the wheel. The Bobby Blue books were the ones I had been bidding on, the consigner actually has a video on August 12th scrolling through them and there was no Buyers premium on several that now have the fee.

Batman 62 no fee.PNG

batman 62 fee.PNG

Mad 1 no fee.PNG

mad 1 fee.PNG

That’s one way to get money I guess. A lot of people put in an early bid on CC as their max since sniping isn’t really a thing there as they extend auctions with last second bids. That’s a fun surprise after the auctions end. 

On a side note I do prefer HA’s style of premium where they show the price with the premium when you bid. Not that I can’t do the math but I don’t know that the people I’m bidding against always do, and I think some books go higher than they should because of it. Of course the best premium is no premium at all for buyers but if you’re going to do it at least be consistent and transparent. 

Call ComicConnect and ask them what's going on. It was my understanding from consigning with them before that this buyer's premium is an option for the seller now and they have been offering this feature for a few years now (for lower seller's premiums???), but oddly, nothing is noted about it on their website that I can find.

Either way, it's bad optics for them to change something like this after an auction started with no explanation. If could be it was added to the auctions by mistake or was mistakenly left off at the beginning. I have found them to be very straightforward in communications. I believe Rob Reynolds is who you'd want to talk to concerning this as he is the director of consignments that handles the auction listings. Good luck.

On 8/22/2023 at 1:29 PM, Jaylam said:

Call ComicConnect and ask them what's going on. It was my understanding from consigning with them before that this buyer's premium is an option for the seller now and they have been offering this feature for a few years now (for lower seller's premiums???), but oddly, nothing is noted about it on their website that I can find.

Either way, it's bad optics for them to change something like this after an auction started with no explanation. If could be it was added to the auctions by mistake or was mistakenly left off at the beginning. I have found them to be very straightforward in communications. I believe Rob Reynolds is who you'd want to talk to concerning this as he is the director of consignments that handles the auction listings. Good luck.

The response in short was it was missed in listing, accounting caught it and added them. Any bid placed after the update would have the premium added.