• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sept Heritage Signature Auction
3 3

281 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2023 at 6:17 PM, batman_fan said:

I remember when a splash was less than $100.  We live in crazy times.

Several Mortimer Spidey Super Stories panel pages have sold in excess of $2K, and I also recall a few of his splashes selling for over $4K.  If anything, this splash may have underperformed, given it’s content

On 9/17/2023 at 2:34 PM, batman_fan said:

A few interesting results

John Buscema Thor splash, over $10k, lots of love.

Sal Buscema Hulk panels, $3k+. Remember when these were ~1k or so.  I thought they would get a Sal bump but guess word hasn't reached everyone.

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 12.29.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 12.29.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 12.29.19 PM.png

1970's Sal B Hulk has exploded. It's now approaching John B 1970's Thor level respect. Of course Hulk pages generally are in much higher demand than Thor from the era. 

Sal 1970's Hulk pages have been drying up for over a decade, uncommon for while to see anything decent.  Looks like someone got 3 nice above average 1977-1978 Hulk pages. I do shudder to think now what a Sale Hulk Battle page vs any name brand villain would now command....

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/17/2023 at 4:58 PM, MAR1979 said:

1970's Sal B Hulk has exploded. It's now approaching John B 1970's Thor level respect. Of course Hulk pages generally are in much higher demand than Thor from the era. 

Sal Hulk pages have been drying up for over a decade uncommon for while to see anything decent.  Looks like someone got 3 nice above average pages. I do shudder to think now what a Sale Hulk Battle page vs any name brand villain would now command....

When I bought my Sal splash back in the early 2000s I thought the price was a bit crazy but not anymore, especially given it has Tom Palmer inks

hulkSplash.jpg

On 9/17/2023 at 6:20 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Several Mortimer Spidey Super Stories panel pages have sold in excess of $2K, and I also recall a few of his splashes selling for over $4K.  If anything, this splash may have underperformed, given it’s content

I agree. I stayed away because I thought it would end at over $5K

On 9/17/2023 at 6:20 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

100% correct.  I follow the Spidey Super Story stuff as I've quite a bit.  Based on the prices they have somewhat stabilized for the moment. This has occurred many times in the past right before they jump to the next level.   Do miss the good ol' days when I was able to pick up a Spidey Splash with Thanos for $50 :)

Edited by All-Star Squadman

On 9/17/2023 at 2:34 PM, batman_fan said:

A few interesting results

John Buscema Thor splash, over $10k, lots of love.

Sal Buscema Hulk panels, $3k+. Remember when these were ~1k or so.  I thought they would get a Sal bump but guess word hasn't reached everyone.

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 12.17.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 12.29.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 12.29.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 12.29.19 PM.png

I recall when they were just barely over 100 at Heritage.  I paid 110 + vig for this one back in 2002 :)   IMHO it's a superior page to the 3 sold today

Original Comic Art:Panel Pages, Sal Buscema - Original Art for Incredible Hulk #232, page 27 (Marvel, 1978). Sal Buscema did some of his best work on this t...

On 9/17/2023 at 7:01 PM, batman_fan said:

When I bought my Sal splash back in the early 2000s I thought the price was a bit crazy but not anymore, especially given it has Tom Palmer inks

hulkSplash.jpg

I've my Sal Hulk Splash Grail, Signed by Stan Lee. and yeah I thought it was a bit high at $900 in 2003 :)   Thanks Eelco!

hulk233p1.thumb.jpg.936df07a03f0d798e6c80805a3f44cea.jpg

On 9/17/2023 at 6:58 PM, MAR1979 said:

Sal 1970's Hulk pages have been drying up for over a decade, uncommon for while to see anything decent.  Looks like someone got 3 nice above average 1977-1978 Hulk pages. I do shudder to think now what a Sale Hulk Battle page vs any name brand villain would now command....

Sal was the Hulk artist for 2-3 generation of readers. Leaving when Byrne took over in 1985.  There are only 2 Hulk (1 annual) covers, both from the 1980's. This means Sal Hulk collectors fight for the splashes and the decent panels with more vigor than some might expect.  This is what I've witnessed in my own quarter century of Sal Hulk art collecting. 

anyone recall the "Hulk Art Collective" ?

On 9/17/2023 at 3:47 PM, Bill C said:

I think its beautiful, and maybe it popped back up too fast also, along with prices overall generally softening-- but I also figure the people that love golden age Batman are lessening.

Most of the Spring recreations have been going between 4k-7k over the last few year. Not alot of change.

On 9/17/2023 at 7:25 PM, All-Star Squadman said:

Sal was the Hulk artist for 2-3 generation of readers. Leaving when Byrne took over in 1985.  There are only 2 Hulk (1 annual) covers, both from the 1980's. This means Sal Hulk collectors fight for the splashes and the decent panels with more vigor than some might expect.  This is what I've witnessed in my own quarter century of Sal Hulk art collecting. 

The Hulk is my favorite character and Sal my fav artist by fr.  Been collecting his artwork for quite some time too and really painful to see how much even panel pages are going for in auctions.  The early Sal seems to be the most desirable, I was able to get a later Sal Hulk page a few days earlier on Heritage for a price I was surprised at. 

On 9/17/2023 at 8:42 PM, Twanj said:

image.thumb.png.884703064f5601a71fc23847bc792066.png

This was surprising to me. It sold on HA in the last few years for about 4k(?) but was not properly described as being inked after publication. The buyer canceled the sale after he learned that.

I watched that one just to see how it would perform and I was very surprised at the end result. I hope the buyer knew what he was getting.

On 9/17/2023 at 9:25 PM, Verbow said:

Agreed.

I won the Joker splash.  I was in love with that  series as a kid - my favorite bad guy has his own book? - and Novick’s version is one of my favorites.

I own about half the pages from the first issue, but quality pages have been hard to come by so I had to jump at this one :) 

Congrats it is fantastic, the splash was one of my targets in the auction but went for a lot more I thought(hoped) it would.