• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sept Heritage Signature Auction
3 3

281 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2023 at 11:18 AM, Michael Browning said:

I’m sort of in that category, but it’s more of a feeling that if I buy a cover for $20,000 today, I might not live long enough to sell at break-even or see a profit years from now. I don’t primarily buy for resale purposes, but I don’t make/have a lot of extra cash like many collectors on this thread have and I make sure event penny counts - and that, if I need to sell, I could at least make my money back fairly quickly. I always have my eye on the resale, even if I plan to never sell. It comes from growing up poor and with Depression-era parents who raked and scraped and saved and taught me to keep my comics and Star Wars action figures in good condition in case I need to sell them one day.

I have steered clear of a lot of great art auctions because the prices have just gone so high that I don’t have the confidence I once had that I could get my cash back if and when I need to sell. There are lots of pieces I’d love to own, but I have to rethink sometimes and say to myself “Do I want it and enough that if I’m in a pinch and need to sell, I could recoup 100% of what I spent?”

That keeps me out of a lot of auctions these days.

I'm in Total agreement especially with the paragraph in bold.   I can get still get 5%+ compounded and guaranteed for 5 years with 20k and I'm not so sure if paying current FMV on many art pieces will yield as well. most of the last 12 years i woudl never had even considered going that route now it's most appealing.

For around 18 years now I've followed an amalgam of advice I received from Will G and Jon M; If it's piece that has special meaning for you, spend what you think it will cost in 5 years so it doesn't get away.

The combined advice has mostly served me well, however as of this point in time paying where i think it will be in 5 years means not overpaying/paying less and if it gets away then it gets away.  I've been blessed to acquire my Grail of Grail's so it's an easier statement to make than it might have been many years back.

On 9/15/2023 at 2:15 PM, All-Star Squadman said:

I'm in Total agreement especially with the paragraph in bold.   I can get still get 5%+ compounded and guaranteed for 5 years with 20k and I'm not so sure if paying current FMV on many art pieces will yield as well. most of the last 12 years i woudl never had even considered going that route now it's most appealing.

For around 18 years now I've followed an amalgam of advice I received from Will G and Jon M; If it's piece that has special meaning for you, spend what you think it will cost in 5 years so it doesn't get away.

The combined advice has mostly served me well, however as of this point in time paying where i think it will be in 5 years means not overpaying/paying less and if it gets away then it gets away.  I've been blessed to acquire my Grail of Grail's so it's an easier statement to make than it might have been many years back.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Will gave me the same advice years ago. But, things have really changed in the last three years. I don’t think I could now pay what I think it will be worth in five years — ANYMORE. I used to do that. Heck, I’ve overpaid for quite a few pieces and have been pleasantly surprised at how fast they exceeded what I paid, but I just don’t see that happening anymore with auction results still so high. Do I think the Secret Wars 8 page that sold for $3M+ would sell for more than that in five years? No way. I think that about a lot of the art selling for $20,000+. There’s just no way to break even on most of the pieces I want and I’m satisfied with what I have, so I’m good to just sit on the sidelines nowadays. (Full disclosure: I am by no means priced out of the game. I’ve bought over 100 pieces so far this year, but none have been very expensive. I’m way below what I bought last year, pricewise, and I’m okay with that. I did buy around 220 pieces last year, so I’m on track to surpass that number by 2024.)

On 9/15/2023 at 1:08 PM, batman_fan said:

Did the Action Neal Adam’s cover hammer on the low side?

I continued to be shocked at how low some really nice DC covers from that era, including by heavyweights like Adams, go for compared to Marvel art. I mean, in the real world, $25.2K is a big number, but, in the OA world, it's practically peanuts (not to be confused with Peanuts or P-Nutz) these days for mainstream superhero art from that era. 

On 9/15/2023 at 2:49 PM, Garry Ghoul said:

The twice-up FF too! My grail seems reachable!

Yeah, it's great stuff, but, a lot of the old hands already have their examples and the newer generation seems profoundly disinterested. At least on a relative basis, this stuff is looking cheap compared to some of the '80s/'90s stuff.

Edited by delekkerste

On 9/15/2023 at 1:55 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

$31K for the Frenz Spidey page...impressive result!

Great page, right in my nostalgic wheelhouse.

That said, I don't know if I want to live in a world where this page sells for $6K more than the Neal Adams Action #399 cover... :sorry: 

On 9/15/2023 at 3:04 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I was the underbidder on the Perez NTT cover.

Seller took a loss on it.

I don't want to break confidences, but, some consignors are taking a bath today. Not going to point out specific pieces, but, just a reminder that just because some prices look "strong" or "healthy" today doesn't mean that people didn't pay even more when the market was hotter. 

On 9/15/2023 at 3:11 PM, delekkerste said:

Great page, right in my nostalgic wheelhouse.

That said, I don't know if I want to live in a world where this page sells for $6K more than the Neal Adams Action #399 cover... :sorry: 

Adams art has been flat for awhile and selling quite low, considering it was priced as high 15 years ago on dealers’ sites.

I got rid of all my Adams art a few years ago after he pulled that stunt with the Batman 251 cover art auction, saying it might be a recreation and he would only authenticate it for a portion of the final sale price.

Alex Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday...$312,000

I asked Heritage at SDCC what their price expectation was and was told they thought it had a good shot at $100K+. 

I said I wouldn't be surprised at $250K+. Sadly, I was correct. :cry: