• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clink auction shill bidding?
4 4

76 posts in this topic

Okay, I admit that there are some weird results in some of my auctions that could just be a coincidence.  Someone else's  book in the same grade sells at $250 and mine sells for $145.  I get that can happen.

Today I am looking at my ASM #9 in 6.5 and it is currently at $750, the 5.5 is at $900 with 23 bids to my 14 image.gif.02b98b044102769dbe71d2fad1d6a7d0.gif

Sorry for the whining.

Here are the two auctions

6.5 - https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2023aug%26session%3D2%23Item_1710187&id=1710187&itemType=0

5.5 - https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2023aug%26session%3D2%23Item_1710879&id=1710879&itemType=0

On 8/25/2023 at 10:05 PM, toro said:

Okay, I admit that there are some weird results in some of my auctions that could just be a coincidence.  Someone else's  book in the same grade sells at $250 and mine sells for $145.  I get that can happen.

Today I am looking at my ASM #9 in 6.5 and it is currently at $750, the 5.5 is at $900 with 23 bids to my 14 image.gif.02b98b044102769dbe71d2fad1d6a7d0.gif

Sorry for the whining.

6.5 - https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2023aug%26session%3D2%23Item_1710187&id=1710187&itemType=0

5.5 - https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2023aug%26session%3D2%23Item_1710879&id=1710879&itemType=0

I wouldn't take much stock in current prices before an auction ends.

On 8/26/2023 at 7:26 AM, namisgr said:

+1

Also, they have different types of defects, including some that don't affect structural grade but impact eye appeal.

This. While not a defect the 6.5 wrap with the interior pages protruding past from cover is not everyone’s cup of tea. The grade difference is nominal and with a slight bump for white pages the final hammer should be close. 

I've seen many books where the lower grade was doing better prior to the end of an auction. Aside from the eye appeal that others already noted, people have budgets and more people can afford books in a lower grades than the higher grade/cost ones. In some cases the extra people drives the bidding up earlier. When this happens it always corrects at the end unless the books appear in totally different parts of the auction and end days apart (which is not he case here).

In general, where books are sitting a week before an auction ends means little to nothing. 

On 8/26/2023 at 7:34 AM, ThothAmon said:

This. While not a defect the 6.5 wrap with the interior pages protruding past from cover is not everyone’s cup of tea. The grade difference is nominal and with a slight bump for white pages the final hammer should be close. 

That perfect page alignment is very significant especially with thicker books from SA/BA eras. And the 5.5 has white pages. There is a legit pool of bidders who will pass on anything less than this. 

Lastly in this price range on CL, I believe the bid increments are now $50 for a single bid. 

On 8/26/2023 at 1:20 AM, Tnexus said:

I wouldn't take much stock in current prices before an auction ends.

I'm always surprised how many people want to talk about prices in the middle of an auction. Until it's over, they're meaningless (unless you want to see what the minimum next bid will be).

Edited by valiantman

On 8/26/2023 at 1:05 AM, toro said:

Sorry for the whining.

I have seen this before and I have personally driven up prices to start maxing people's wallets on books that I have a reasonable chance of acquiring in grade. 

Say for example there are two copies of Batman 44 in an auction.  One copy is a 9.4 and the other is a 4.5.

I am very well aware that I am not going to be winning that 9.4 short of everyone in the America suddenly falling ill that month.  So, I am going to concentrate on that 4.5.  In fact, I am not even going to bid on that 9.0.   Remember that you have more potential buyers for the lower the grade. 

I am also a jerk when it comes to bidding.  My idea is to start stressing as many as possible.  The guy bidding on that Joker cover is probably bidding on the other Joker covers.  I will try to estimate where your bid is and either max it out or just bid one increment above it.  

On 8/26/2023 at 4:48 PM, Stefan_W said:

By buying the book and checking out the back when it arrives.

Which is why I don't bid on their auctions.

Can't stand getting a book and finding the back cover looks like fermented a-hole........or that the staples are an inch to the right of the actual spine on it.

On 8/26/2023 at 3:28 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Which is why I don't bid on their auctions.

Can't stand getting a book and finding the back cover looks like fermented a-hole........or that the staples are an inch to the right of the actual spine on it.

Well it’s not 100% always possible but there are other ways to find back cover scans at times. Both of these copies are recent CGC slabs so it was easy pulling back cover scans from CGC. Other times you have to work for it in other places if book has been around.

Heres the back cover scans for both books.

IMG_8889.thumb.jpeg.0ebdbc6bd03fc3ffb785a39a82f62c1b.jpeg

IMG_8890.thumb.jpeg.eb0979668fc23fbbd5883016ffd827ab.jpeg

On 8/26/2023 at 6:06 PM, N e r V said:

Well it’s not 100% always possible but there are other ways to find back cover scans at times. Both of these copies are recent CGC slabs so it was easy pulling back cover scans from CGC. Other times you have to work for it in other places if book has been around.

That's great if it's just a couple of big books I might be interested in.

But way too much work if I'm just skimming auctions and looking at numerous books I might be interested in.

If they can't be arsed to provide back cover scans for auctions that bring in hundreds of thousands of dollars......then I can't be arsed to bid on their auctions.  Just my personal preference.

Edited by Domo Arigato

I hear that.

You can ask for it from CL. Just like you have to do for many of the books posted for sale here on the boards. I've seen 50k books on sale threads with no back cover shots. Sellers who damn well have the time cant be bothered. Well me either.

On 8/26/2023 at 6:19 PM, Dr. Love said:

I hear that.

You can ask for it from CL

True.....but I'm not going to do that for every book I might have an interest in.  They can either provide them initially, or I can look elsewhere.

On 8/26/2023 at 7:06 PM, N e r V said:

IMG_8889.thumb.jpeg.0ebdbc6bd03fc3ffb785a39a82f62c1b.jpeg

IMG_8890.thumb.jpeg.eb0979668fc23fbbd5883016ffd827ab.jpeg

Totally different question to anyone.  Can Clink or any auction house now use the CGC photos in their auctions?  It would save them tons of time and they are very nice pictures.

On 8/26/2023 at 8:16 PM, toro said:

Totally different question to anyone.  Can Clink or any auction house now use the CGC photos in their auctions?  It would save them tons of time and they are very nice pictures.

Just be aware when you have a book slabbed and pay for the photos like the ones I posted although they are available to the public to look at on CGC verification they are a bit washed out vs the actual scans they send the submitter. I learned that the hard when when I posted scans here of 2 books from the CGC verification site first and not wait until I received my personal scans from them. As a buyer though it’s enough for you to make a informed decision. Also sometimes you’ll be able to find enough details in the graders notes on back covers to know if there might be some issues you want to avoid.

Edited by N e r V
Spelling

Being a buyer from a number of auction sites myself including Heritage, Comic Link, Comic Connect, Hakes and MyComicShop,etc…several of these sites have their own drawbacks. Comic Link being the lack of back cover scans. Heritage being their scans are usually not color accurate which can be problematic if you’re looking for a strong color strike. Hakes aren’t terrible but it would be nice to have something a bit more smooth with enlargements. Comic Connect and MyComicShop are pretty solid although there’s been a few rare times on MyComicShop where back cover scans weren’t available.