• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The X-men: Deadly Genesis Mystery Villains is...(speculation/possible spoiler)

116 posts in this topic

I like the idea, personally. Marvel has been building this "Xavier as Basstard" theme for YEARS now. It's about time that it should ACTUALLY pay off with some hard facts, and what better way than with the revelation of some skeletons in his closet?

Agreed, but this particular idea that Prof X could just move on, hiding forever the deaths of his original team is pretty lame.

Just look at the cover of the What If issue, with a far more realistic view of Chuck and his empathy for the team. He's openly crying and has built a huge tomb/monument to the original team.

That's Prof X in a nutshell, not some whacko who covers up deaths for decades.

Well, it seems that the easy out will be that he was sooooo tramatized that he unknowingly performed a personal lobotomy on himself and those involved of all aspects of the event. Therefore, the lack of guilt over the years... as he didn't intentionally forget the moment.

As I understand, people in real life are capable of having trauma blackouts...now apply this trauma to what was then supposed to be the Marvel Universe's most powerful mental giant.

Yes, this has been explored previously in Onslaught and a couple of other plots. But that's what we get with today's retrovision 2nd guessing in the comics world.

You're probably still wishing for the heyday of Prof X where he knew most everything...was infallable...and his high ideas were treated with respect. But in today's world where questioning of authority is the standard, power only corrupts, and everything has to have a darker underlying motive...that's what you get. In my view thats why DCs Infinite Crisis is so tempting right now as they hopefully try to return a bit of fun back to comics. Just like disco, "grim & gritty" will eventually fade to give way to the next fad. Whether for good or bad will be determined by those who BUY and READ the new books.

I like the idea, personally. Marvel has been building this "Xavier as Basstard" theme for YEARS now. It's about time that it should ACTUALLY pay off with some hard facts, and what better way than with the revelation of some skeletons in his closet?

Agreed, but this particular idea that Prof X could just move on, hiding forever the deaths of his original team is pretty lame.

Just look at the cover of the What If issue, with a far more realistic view of Chuck and his empathy for the team. He's openly crying and has built a huge tomb/monument to the original team.

That's Prof X in a nutshell, not some whacko who covers up deaths for decades.

Well, I think Xavier could be explored in greater depth... sure, he feels sad for his team, but he's also somewhat megalomaniacal in his own way, and that could lead to some interesting new facets of his personality.

He's one of the most intensely intellectual minds in the Marvel U... There's going to be LOTS of room for justifications (however seemingly "irrational") in his mind. I'm not saying he's cold-blooded, but maybe that he's just a bit too myopic in his "vision". And I think he's been accused of that in the past (even in the long past, by Wolverine, no?).

this particular idea that Prof X could just move on, hiding forever the deaths of his original team is pretty lame.

Why? They're trying to make the Professor look like a 893censored-thumb.gif and what better way to do it than bring up a team of mutants who he led to their deaths, and then never mention it to his current students.

Of course, the question is then, was his power so much greater than Jean Grey's (as the Phoenix) that she would have never been able to pick up on scattered memories of this past team?

They're trying to make the Professor look like a 893censored-thumb.gif and what better way to do it than bring up a team of mutants who he led to their deaths, and then never mention it to his current students.

But he wasn't a 893censored-thumb.gif then, and was written totally different. That's why the cover to that What If issue is right-on for the era, as the 1970's Prof X would have been consumed by guilt and would have built a monument to their sacrifice.

The current Prof X might be a 893censored-thumb.gif, but this is not the era the retcon supposedly took place in.

While we represent two distinct poles, Hobby is far more hardcore than I am.

While I don't buy new comics and stick to back issues, I actually buy the odd Modern TPB, but Hobby is hardwired into thinking that Modern = Utopia.

While we represent two distinct poles, Hobby is far more hardcore than I am.

While I don't buy new comics and stick to back issues, I actually buy the odd Modern TPB, but Hobby is hardwired into thinking that Modern = Utopia.

How wrong you are. I'd love to buy silver age books rather than moderns. I just can't afford them. makepoint.gif I buy what my income supports.

Okay, well the villian can't be the Mimic, or at least not the original Mimic since he did come back as a follower of Apocalypse a few years ago during the "The Twelve" storyline. Mimic, Post, The Blob were all working for Apocoalypse for awhile and Mimic had even ran into Mimic just before. Asteroid M was Magneto's headquarters back in the 80's and early 90's but that was destroyed and reconstructed into Avalon when Magneto "died" in the 90's. Avalon was later destroyed and fell to Earth in the 90's as well. So the Asteroid shouldn't be "M" or Avalon either.

The story is interesting so far. I look at it this way. For the longest time we put our leaders on a pedestal as if they weren't human and could do no wrong. Then as we look back we found out that, yeah, they were human and made mistakes. Look at JFK and Robert Kennedy. We still talk about them today as great leaders, yet we now know they bother had affairs with Marilyn Monroe. Look at FDR. One of America's greatest presidents, but he too had a long standing affair. So even the greatest people can mess up. I don't see a problem with a look at a younger more inexperienced Prof X trying to lead a team and it ending in failure. It just makes it more understanding that he would be so cautious next time. And yeah, it could happen that way. History has had many leaders that had several failures in their life prior to that one big sucess. And how do we know what he could have done prior to X-men #1? We do get parts of his history in later books, but obviously not a day by day play. And would you tell your new team, "Oh by the way, the last team...didn't do so well. Good luck!" 27_laughing.gif.

As far as the issues with the "What ifs". So what? I mean, these books were written when it wasn't thought of doing that particular story. Now, 10-20 years later, they decide to explore that idea. I don't see a problem with that. As long as it isn't a word for word copy its cool with me. I mean, its crazy to think that you can't use a good idea someone else had 10-20 years ago and explore it in your own way.

And its funny that someone that hasn't read or been following comic stories in over 15-16 years continues to trash the ideas. That's a hell of a long time to miss. I mean, that's like stopping TV watching in 1990 and then turning on the TV today and being mad cause the shows aren't the same as The Wonder Years. Times change and the media has to change with it. Not saying everything done has been great or even good, but neither were alot of the books prior to 1990. I've just read Justice League of America #1-10 (1960-1961) and you'd compare those to JLA #1-10 (1996-1997) and say they were better? No way! I respect the SA creators but the stories were as goofy and unrealistic as comics could get. But for their time they were okay. Just cause its older doesn't make it better. I mean, two words: Snapper Carr. 'Nufsaid...lol.

I mean, that's like stopping TV watching in 1990 and then turning on the TV today and being mad cause the shows aren't the same as The Wonder Years.

Not at all, it's actually like turning on the TV and seeing "Wonder Years 2" where they retcon Kevin and Paul into having a hidden homosexual relationship, Winnie is sleeping with Mr and Mrs Arnold, Wayne is a serial killer, and Winnie's brother (who died in Viet Nam) comes back as a bad guy.

That's what reading Modern comics is like, to a "T".

They try to change the past, rather than looking towards the future.

I mean, that's like stopping TV watching in 1990 and then turning on the TV today and being mad cause the shows aren't the same as The Wonder Years.

Not at all, it's actually like turning on the TV and seeing "Wonder Years 2" where they retcon Kevin and Paul into having a hidden homosexual relationship, Winnie is sleeping with Mr and Mrs Arnold, Wayne is a serial killer, and Winnie's brother (who died in Viet Nam) comes back as a bad guy.

That's what reading Modern comics is like, to a "T".

They try to change the past, rather than looking towards the future.

Well, you skipped right over the perfect example I gave. Justice League of America #1-10 versus JLA #1-10. No comparison as far as writing style, art work and story. And, wow, look, it has a couple of ORIGINAL storylines. How about that...wow...man, just crazy. 27_laughing.gif. Oh, but wait...the JLA books came out in the 90's so you probably didn't read them. My bad. foreheadslap.gif

[Oh, but wait...the JLA books came out in the 90's so you probably didn't read them. My bad. foreheadslap.gif

We're talking about current comics, not something a decade old or more. makepoint.gif

My comment about Wonder Years 2 was spot-on for comics over the last few years, and you all know it. Gwen's banging Norman Osborne, Bucky Lives, Prof X's loses a team of unknown X-Men, etc.

Spot-on.

Cool! I would watch that!

[Oh, but wait...the JLA books came out in the 90's so you probably didn't read them. My bad. foreheadslap.gif

We're talking about current comics, not something a decade old or more. makepoint.gif

My comment about Wonder Years 2 was spot-on for comics over the last few years, and you all know it. Gwen's banging Norman Osborne, Bucky Lives, Prof X's loses a team of unknown X-Men, etc.

Spot-on.

My point was that you stated you quit reading books in 90-91. I was just citing an example since I'm reading the 1960's series currently. But hey, we can look at the more recent JLA books as well. Or compare my favorite DC hero Green Lantern. Latest series is #1-#8 now. Versus the #1-8 from 1960. Still no comparison.

The thing is, you are looking at a very small population of Modern books. There are a ton of good ones that have nothing to do with retconning. To throw them all in the trash as no-good is pretty ludicrous.

Additionally, you are speaking about something you've heard about. Not something you experienced. It just doesn't hold much weight when it's through 3rd, 4th, and 5th party information.

There are better written books today then there probably has been throughout any period of comics history.

Pat