• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doom Patrol Collecting Thread
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Good taste.

I’ve always liked the Doom Patrol, including the original books, drawn by Bruno Premiani. Outsiders, shunned by humanity, and the similarities with the X-Men, of course.

The Morrison series is a great, amazingly inventive run, beginning to end.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/31/2023 at 10:38 AM, MAR1979 said:

Doom Patrol seems to be the one property that did not receive a a jump or at least to a spike due to a TV Show. I for one say its apropos for DOOM PATROL to buck the norm

A lot of folks on the Doom Patrol subreddit got into the comics via the show, which is nice to see, but comics values have stayed pretty much where they were. I think the show has always been kind of a cult phenomenon, not unlike the comic. 

On 8/31/2023 at 6:24 PM, themagicrobot said:

It amused me that the name was inspired by the UK "entertainer" Danny La Rue. 

God, I’m so slow at times.

Never realised that.

On 8/31/2023 at 6:38 PM, MAR1979 said:

Doom Patrol seems to be the one property that did not receive a a jump or at least to a spike due to a TV Show. I for one say its apropos for DOOM PATROL to buck the norm

Just got Season 1 Blu-ray set.

Very good show.

Doom Patrol is one of the all time great series. I don't have the floppies anymore, but a surprising amount of the material has been collected in omnibus form, including the silver and bronze runs, the Morrison run, Pollack's run, even Byrne's run. I'm still amazed that we not only got a tv series, but that it pulled such a large amount of material from the comics. It was its own thing, but it was also surprisingly faithful, in character and spirit, to the comics, if nothing else.

This is a great run to complete. I pulled it together in the late 80's/early 90's and sold my last DP a couple of years ago (#99). At the time I was probably too young to appreciate the Morrison books (though I loved Animal Man). One of these days I will go through and read the whole run, as I too love the show (which feels like a greatest hits of the comics).   

On 9/1/2023 at 1:19 PM, F For Fake said:

Doom Patrol is one of the all time great series. I don't have the floppies anymore, but a surprising amount of the material has been collected in omnibus form, including the silver and bronze runs, the Morrison run, Pollack's run, even Byrne's run. I'm still amazed that we not only got a tv series, but that it pulled such a large amount of material from the comics. It was its own thing, but it was also surprisingly faithful, in character and spirit, to the comics, if nothing else.

Not to forget, Doom Patrol also gave us one of the most ridiculous characters ever, Codpiece.

As of now, this is the only issue in my collection but I have been searching for a copy of MGA 80 for quite awhile. The “right copy” has yet to come along but that may be in part to me skipping past available copies more often than not, probably because it’s still fairly affordable. 
  I thought the tv show was pretty good but have yet to see anything after the first season and I’ve got a ton of stuff queued in my kodi to keep me entertained when time permits 

IMG_5341.jpeg

On 9/4/2023 at 6:31 PM, rlextherobot said:

Jumping ahead a bit to August 1964, Doom Patrol 89 is a great example of the Silver Age Doom Patrol's secret weapon: Bob Brown covers. I'm mildly embarrassed to admit that it wasn't til collecting the book for a few years that I realized that practically every great cover from the run was by Brown. I love Premiani (especially the very early and super rendered style he used in the My Greatest Adventure issues) but Brown's work informs so much of the how we think of the Doom Patrol at this time, you can't leave him out of any discussion of their appeal and legacy. 

A few years ago I bought a commission from artist Alexis Zirritt and just asked for "Silver Age Doom Patrol". He did a recreation of this cover and I was well pleased by the choice.

Doom Patrol vol. 1 #89.jpg

3nhiLKQS_2002220929281gpadd.jpg

I’ve always wondered if this was an influence on the Blairmonster at the end of John Carpenter’s classic, The Thing.

In late aught-six I decided that I needed to start a run to collect. I've always been a fan of things which were not super popular, so that left off most Marvel books. Started trying to gather books from DCs Silver Age series and somewhere along the line, settled with DP.  Started out with raw books but quickly got tired of trying to figure out if the eBay seller could grade or not, and so moved to slabs.

Currently from the original run of MGA 80 thru DP 121, i have slabs for each issue except MGA 82 & 85, and DP 86, 87, 98 & 115 (which, surprisingly, is exceedingly rare in HG slabs for sale. I think I've seen four or five copies at 9.4 or above in fifteen years of looking). Most of these are missing because I am cheap as a general rule and because this title is so underappreciated that slabs aren't exactly flooding the market.

MGA 80 is 8.0 white, MGA 81 is the Mound City copy and is a 9.2. MGA 83 & 84 are both 9.2 as well, the 83 is the Savannah copy and 84 is Twin Cities. 90 is the Brad Squared copy and is 9.0 as well, and 121 is also a 9.2 because, as i said before, I am cheap. The rest are 9.4 or 9.6, including five Pacific Coasts, three David Toths, another Savannah, another Twin Cities, a Bethehem and a Boston copy. The 99 is a 9.6 that I was able to wrest from october back when he still had "_fire" as part of his username and before whichever animated series that made Changeling interesting debuted. Thanks again, brother!

86 has enjoyed a rather striking increase in demand/price in the last five years, which i attribute to it being a pretty book along with, I guess, people thinking a title change is a big deal or something. I have a nice raw I got from Motor City way back in the first Obama administration.

I suppose the real takeaway I have after fifteen years of intermittent purchasing is that all of you people collecting this title need to have your head examined, since it is clearly destined to remain a lower end of  the second-tier scale, trailing such hot titles as the Atom, Hawkman, or Aquaman, and you don't see anyone starting threads about those turkeys

all of you people collecting this title need to have your head examined, since it is clearly destined to remain a lower end of  the second-tier scale

???????????? Not everyone follows the herd and thinks that the world starts and stops with Spider-Man or Batman. The Doom Patrol have endured through the decades and are now up to volume 7 or is it volume 8. I would place them at the higher end of the second tier, whatever that is.

dp13.jpg.53c3aea35a8e458f8933a7da05f07438.jpg