• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the days when people paid huge money for old comic books?
2 2

232 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2023 at 1:42 AM, Robot Man said:

Back in the day before many comic shops in LA, this was the place to go. David T told me one day that collections of old “valuble” comics came in so fast they didn’t have time enough to process them all. A trip to the back room verified this. There were stacks and unsorted boxes all over the place. In the upper left window from left to right, Carl Macek, Terry Stroud, Bill Stout (who took comics in leu of payment for these ads), unknown guy and David T Alexander. These were VERY savvy guys and nothing was cheap but they had the goods. 

IMG_7317.jpeg

I used to love looking at that ad in the Buyer's Guide or maybe Price Guide and wishing we had such a cool store in the Central Jersey area. Oddly, one of the better known comic stores is there now in Red Bank NJ; Kevin Smith's, "The Stash". But it's more of a promotional gimmick for him than an LCS based on my few visits there.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 9/10/2023 at 6:55 PM, WolverineX said:

Wonder if he still owns it and how much it compares to putting 180k into the s and p at the same time

It sold for $5.3 million in 2022 as a CGC 8.0 and now resides in a CGC 8.5 pedigree label

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10085/cgc-graded-superman-1-sells-for-over-5-million-dollars/

On 9/10/2023 at 3:55 PM, WolverineX said:

Amazing. 

Wonder if he still owns it and how much it compares to putting 180k into the s and p at the same time

Yes, he sold it. He recently bought a nice house pretty close to me near the beach. It was bought from Redbeard and the purchase also included several very key pieces of original art as well. He did VERY well by hanging on to it. 

On 9/7/2023 at 12:46 PM, Mmehdy said:

. Anyway my dad wanted to purchase a set one round and one with edges Pan Pacific Gold coin set which I think..don't hold me to it was $5000 at the time...maybe 10K....now Mom wanted a bigger house, a lot bigger house than we had, Dad wanted the coin set. 

27988853%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

On 9/10/2023 at 6:39 PM, WolverineX said:

Sounds like it was bought at 1996 which makes that 180k a much better investment than buying the S&P

Can't remember what year it was exactly back in the 90's, but I do remember all the talk was about Bechara Maalouf acquiring the Church copy of Superman #1, but there clearly seem to be more an air of sheer disdain to the book by the collectors at the time as it was deemed to have been restored.  :takeit:

As for saying it's a better investment than the S&P, then that's kind of looking through the rear view mirror and saying it's worse than buying Nvidia when it went public back in 1999:  :flipbait:

https://finbold.com/heres-how-much-a-10k-investment-in-nvidia-stock-in-1999-is-now-worth/

Heck, you could have invested your $10K even a few years later as it has gone below its IPO price before and you would be sitting comfortably there with almost $20M.  I remember some of my colleagues at work owning thousands of shares of Nvidia back in the day and all I ever own was only a couple hundred shares which I ended up stupidly selling them after it had a mere double several years later.  Decided to support the local Canadian chip maker (i.e. ATI Technologies) instead which was an absolute mistake as although it had better numbers than Nvidia at times, a boring Canadian company was clearly NOT the choice for the razzle dazzle American day traders who had NVDA to play with which resulted in ATI's stock price going absolutely nowhere until it was eventually taken over by AMD.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/10/2023 at 8:39 PM, WolverineX said:

Sounds like it was bought at 1996 which makes that 180k a much better investment than buying the S&P

But nowhere near as good as buying Monster stock.  Not to mention it's easier to get out of Monster stock - especially incrementally. :D The problem is you're picking a somewhat risky asset compared to a relatively non-risky one when comparing something like Superman #1 to something like the S&P.  Compare it instead with Monster, nVidia, Apple, Alphabet/Google, etc.  Their returns probably dwarf the Superman sale.  Heck, even pick even something boring like Altria, and it'll pretty much match or exceed the Superman returns.

On 9/11/2023 at 5:02 PM, Telegan said:

But nowhere near as good as buying Monster stock.  Not to mention it's easier to get out of Monster stock - especially incrementally. :D The problem is you're picking a somewhat risky asset compared to a relatively non-risky one when comparing something like Superman #1 to something like the S&P.  Compare it instead with Monster, nVidia, Apple, Alphabet/Google, etc.  Their returns probably dwarf the Superman sale.  Heck, even pick even something boring like Altria, and it'll pretty much match or exceed the Superman returns.

That's probably true.  180k in apple stock is probably insane now