• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the days when people paid huge money for old comic books?
2 2

232 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2023 at 1:10 PM, N e r V said:

Sure does. Indy comics were in full swing and comics changed with Dark Knight, Watchmen and Born Again. For me this was really the beginning of the Copper or “dark age” in comics…

Any HOT list that includes Boris the Bear, Punisher, Groo, Swamp Thing, and Flaming Carrot is going to have a warm place in my heart.   What a great time in comics.

On 9/13/2023 at 9:34 AM, aardvark88 said:

U were just addled and thought the Collector's Book Shop listing was for FF #1 nm $30 but that would have been a rich price for 1968 mail order rather than GA Fantastic Comics # 1.

No, nothing to do with FF 1 at all, as it is my eyes as I kept thinking of it as Fantastic 2, 5 and not as Fantastic 2-5.  :facepalm:

On 9/13/2023 at 1:12 PM, Bronty said:

Any HOT list that includes Boris the Bear, Punisher, Groo, Swamp Thing, and Flaming Carrot is going to have a warm place in my heart.   What a great time in comics.

I guess it's really a case of to each their own, as any HOT list that includes Boris the Bear, Albedo, Elementals, Flaming Carrot and the likes only brings back memories of the short lived B&W Indie bubble of the late 80's that's set to burst right in the face of collectors back then.  :fear::tonofbricks:

On 9/12/2023 at 10:24 PM, N e r V said:

Lou Fine, everyone who’s collected for any amount of time will share their regrets with yesterdays prices. The angst is built in with this hobby…

As I had stated in my post, really NOT so much to do with financial valuation, but just so much more to do with the pure collectibility factor itself as it would sure be nice to have all of those key first appearances of the major Spidey villians in those first 10 issues, and all supposedly in HG to boot.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Less so from a pure valuation POV as I would not have sold any of those books since they would still be sitting right here in my personal collection.  Any increase in valuation is just an extra bonus whenever it comes time for me to part with them.  (thumbsu

Sorry you missed out on a million dollar collection today because you sold too soon 20 years ago when you were 40? 

Hold out till you’re 90, and you’ll get a Billion if you want to think of it that way. 

When you sold it 20 years ago it bought a hell of a lot more than it would have today. 

On 9/13/2023 at 3:57 PM, action1kid said:

Sorry you missed out on a million dollar collection today because you sold too soon 20 years ago when you were 40? 

Hold out till you’re 90, and you’ll get a Billion if you want to think of it that way. 

When you sold it 20 years ago it bought a hell of a lot more than it would have today. 

Not sure since you didn't use the Quote option instead of your Reply option, but to exactly which prior post was your comment here in response to?  ???

On 9/13/2023 at 7:57 PM, MusterMark said:

Do you have any of the hologram or foil variants?  What about Sketch covers?

I know you were joking but it got me thinking tonight when did a variant go from being a publishing anomaly in comics to something publishers did with the intent to create interest/money? The Oct.and Nov. Marvel comics #1, Batman #1 dots,no dots, Marvel black circle price variants in the 60’s, Fantastic Four #110 green error, Star Wars #1 35 cent edition, etc. etc. we’re never intended by the publishers to be valuable collectibles. What insufficiently_thoughtful_person started the obnoxious preconceived variant world we live in???

On 9/13/2023 at 8:45 PM, N e r V said:

I know you were joking but it got me thinking tonight when did a variant go from being a publishing anomaly in comics to something publishers did with the intent to create interest/money? The Oct.and Nov. Marvel comics #1, Batman #1 dots,no dots, Marvel black circle price variants in the 60’s, Fantastic Four #110 green error, Star Wars #1 35 cent edition, etc. etc. we’re never intended by the publishers to be valuable collectibles. What insufficiently_thoughtful_person started the obnoxious preconceived variant world we live in???

According to Wikipedia (lol), the first intentional "variant" published with two different covers was 1986's Man of Steel #1 by John Byrne.

On 9/13/2023 at 8:57 PM, MattTheDuck said:

According to Wikipedia (lol), the first intentional "variant" published with two different covers was 1986's Man of Steel #1 by John Byrne.

One more reason why 1986 is known as the year that began the Dark Age in comics I guess. rantrant:signofftopic::devil:

Edited by N e r V

On 9/13/2023 at 4:48 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess it's really a case of to each their own, as any HOT list that includes Boris the Bear, Albedo, Elementals, Flaming Carrot and the likes only brings back memories of the short lived B&W Indie bubble of the late 80's that's set to burst right in the face of collectors back then.  :fear::tonofbricks:

Speaking of Flaming Carrot, I bought a copy of the Timely Sub-mariner #2 from Bob Burden at a con in NYC for $750.

On 9/14/2023 at 12:06 AM, N e r V said:
On 9/13/2023 at 11:57 PM, MattTheDuck said:

One more reason why 1986 is known as the year that began the Dark Age in comics I guess. rantrant:signofftopic::devil:

These were the first ones I remember from 1989 and bought them all of course! :tonofbricks:

IMG_2214.jpeg