• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supes 1 cover
4 4

51 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2023 at 10:11 AM, clarkkentdds said:

Is $80K really the market now for a cover?? A complete 1.5 just sold at CC for $132k...

I dunno.  I don't think we've seen both covers of a Superman #1 sell, at least not in a very long time. 

I personally wouldn't pay that much even if I had a complete coverless copy.

On 10/3/2023 at 10:11 AM, clarkkentdds said:

Is $80K really the market now for a cover?? A complete 1.5 just sold at CC for $132k...

First off, congrats to the guy. Unbelievable gamble but I’m happy it paid off. As far as Clarkkentdds’ question, a good one for sure. No offense to I Am Not Glenda, but his buddy seems to waayyy over price his books, or atleast super high end stuff. Some examples, he has a Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 at $160K, an AF15 CGC 3.0 at $70K and a TMNT 1 8.5 at $37K, none with a best offer option. So basically he sells stuff WAAAYYYY above current sales without the intent to actually sell I guess. Unless he thinks a 2nd comic boom is coming. Anyway, I have no freaking clue what a complete cover of Supes 1 could be worth, but seeing the way he prices other stuff, makes me feel like he’s shooting for the moon at $80K. My gut tells me you throw it in an unreserved auction, it sells for around $30K-$50K. But who knows. It’s such a unique piece now that it’s confirmed, maybe he’ll find a buyer for his ask 🤷.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 10/5/2023 at 3:56 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

First off, congrats to the guy. Unbelievable gamble but I’m happy it paid off. As far as Clarkkentdds’ question, a good one for sure. No offense to I Am Not Glenda, but his buddy seems to waayyy over price his books, or atleast super high end stuff. Some examples, he has a Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 at $160K, an AF15 CGC 3.0 at $70K and a TMNT 1 8.5 at $37K, none with a best offer option. So basically he sells stuff WAAAYYYY above current sales without the intent to actually sell I guess. Unless he thinks a 2nd comic book is coming. Anyway, I have no freaking clue what a complete cover of Supes 1 could be worth, but seeing the way he prices other stuff, makes me feel like he’s shooting for the moon at $80K. My gut tells me you throw it in an unreserved auction, it sells for around $30K-$50K. But who knows. It’s such a unique piece now that it’s confirmed, maybe he’ll find a buyer for his ask 🤷.

No offense taken, I just have have to point out a few things here my buddy did not take a gamble if the cover was not legit he was covered either by Paypal & Ebay or by his CC. As to his ebay selling practices anyone who knows him will confirm he's one of the best in the biz and a stand up guy & all I can tell you is that when I visit his house I call it stately Wayne Manor & ask if I can move into the garage :) 

On 10/5/2023 at 8:25 AM, I am not Glenda said:

No offense taken, I just have have to point out a few things here my buddy did not take a gamble if the cover was not legit he was covered either by Paypal & Ebay or by his CC. As to his ebay selling practices anyone who knows him will confirm he's one of the best in the biz and a stand up guy & all I can tell you is that when I visit his house I call it stately Wayne Manor & ask if I can move into the garage :) 

Ok I take it back and you’re right, not a gamble there. But still would have been unfortunate to pay the CGC fee had it not come back real 😯. That’s a $1Kish gamble you wouldn’t get back. Luckily, won’t be an issue haha. And I’m not debating whether he’s a stand up guy or not. Just because someone over prices doesn’t mean they are a bad person or a bad seller of course. I see some of his comics have sold on eBay, but it’s mainly toys, which I can see why based on his ask prices. As far as why people do that, to each their own. Seems more like he just wants to hold onto books then sell them. Atleast that’s what I assume when something is marked up over double it’s worth. Or he’s waiting for the market to catch up, although it’s been going the opposite direction as of late. Well I definitely wish him the best of luck. Is it worth $80K, maybe, only time will tell. I mean the ideal premium buyer is someone looking to complete their coverless copy I assume. So best case scenario, you turn your coverless into a 1.8-2.0 green qualified copy. I’m not sure what that would be worth, but at $80K and whatever they are into their coverless copy for it might be worth it.

This story is still sticking with me,

1. Amazing that this was unearthed and still out there

2. Would have been interesting (and more profitable for the owner) who didn't know the true value to have used a bid process rather than buy it now.

3. I would have been cheesed if I had taken a flyer on it, and snagged it for $2k on the buy it now to then have gotten undercut by the seller subsequently backing out. 

3a. I'm assuming seller was tipped off (however you choose to look at that) comic collectors can be sharks when there is blood in the water, no doubt about it.

4. I never would have believed it was real and would not have likely bid on it or done a buy it now to begin with - especially given some fakes that I've seen posted here (recall the Cap America #1) and the seller's history.