• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Cell Phone Conversation + Car = Funeral even if…

70 posts in this topic

I NEVER allow a driver to speak on a cell phone as a passenger in a car. Conversations are NEVER important enough that they can't wait 20 minutes. In case it is an emergency, I usually answer the call and relay it to a driver.

Bruce, very sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family.

I'll definitely be re-evaluating the amount of talking I do while driving (currently about a half hour a day).

I am sorry for your loss. I will pass on your story to my family some of whom do talk on the phone in the car.

Sorry to hear this. Really bad news.

But this is so close to what happened to me in some ways. But in my case it was the other guy talking on the phone that hit me. I was making a right turn. Light was well into the green. Police car was behind me. As I was into the turn a car comes flying throught thier red light and nearly takes off the front of my car. Totaled it. Luckly nobody got hurt. But the guy was on a phone when he hit me. He never let go of the phone during the accident, when he got out of his car, and while the police were talking to him. The one cop had to litterly tell the guy to put the phone down. I couldn't believe the guy just had to stay on the phone through this whole incident. We could all hear him tell someone on the other end of the line that he just had a accident. It was like it was nothing to him. He couldn't care less about what had happened. He just wanted to stay on the phone. Driving and phones are just not safe together.

Sorry to hear this. Really bad news.

But this is so close to what happened to me in some ways. But in my case it was the other guy talking on the phone that hit me. I was making a right turn. Light was well into the green. Police car was behind me. As I was into the turn a car comes flying throught thier red light and nearly takes off the front of my car. Totaled it. Luckly nobody got hurt. But the guy was on a phone when he hit me. He never let go of the phone during the accident, when he got out of his car, and while the police were talking to him. The one cop had to litterly tell the guy to put the phone down. I couldn't believe the guy just had to stay on the phone through this whole incident. We could all hear him tell someone on the other end of the line that he just had a accident. It was like it was nothing to him. He couldn't care less about what had happened. He just wanted to stay on the phone. Driving and phones are just not safe together.

That should be jail time. mad.gif

Sorry for your loss, Bruce.

Absolutely heartbreaking story to hear Bruce. I'm very sorry for your loss.

From a personal perspective, I can directly speak to the foolishness of using cell phones when you are driving. I work as a professional firefighter in Toronto and can't count how many times I've seen accidents result from the inattentiveness of drivers. Luckily most are just minor injuries but some are far more serious and have tragic endings. Believe me, you don't want to go there. Further to that point, try to imagine our frustration in driver's not paying attention due to being on the phone and not yielding the right of way as we respond to emergencies. It amazes me to no end how people can be so careless with their own lives and those of others. Please take Bruce's comments to heart everybody.....

Drew

Thanks again to all of you for your condolences. I'm at my cousin's house now and it seems as if everyone's in denial. His photos are everywhere.

Jeff (Stronguy) thanks for that additional insight. Your post is the one people should follow... not mine.

Simply avoiding the practice of chatting in the car IS the best solution. I was coming from the point of view that most would not choose to abstain, but perhaps they would compromise and reduce the amount of risky behaviour. I'm very encouraged that many of you are more "hard lined" and disciplined than I would have expected.

I'm also glad to hear some of you (ex: Gene) are hearing the message and are considering making a change in your own cell/car behaviour.

Everyone <PLEASE> have a safe holiday season... and beyond.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Sorry to here this terrible news BB.

Phones aren't the only problem.

I see people shoving food in their mouths and not paying attention... almost running red lights and stuff.

I NEVER allow a driver to speak on a cell phone as a passenger in a car.

I'm curious as to how you enforce this.

Keep a sharp screwdriver in the glove compartment? poke2.gif

Last week I had a guy in front of me talking on two phones, one in each hand!!!!

893whatthe.gif

Did he have a portable DVD player in his lap too? mad.gif