• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Cell Phone Conversation + Car = Funeral even if…

70 posts in this topic

…you're only 27years old.

even if… you've just made it big in real estate.

even if… you're on the way to pick up a new car you bought to celebrate.

My cousin was all this on Tuesday.

He was talking with his brother on his cell phone and may not have been as alert as he could have been otherwise. If driving had his full attention... I have to wonder if he could have avoided this tradgedy.

Now he's dead and I'm left wondering.

Fate didn't care about his age, recent success and where/what he was doing… or whether the timing and circumstances were especially unjust.

My point… Take a moment to consider if YOU (or any LOVED ONES) regularly talk on cell phones while driving. Have you paid less attention to the road for the sake of a conversation and had a close call? Do you sometimes realize that you are not giving the potentially fatal act of driving a vehicle the attention and alertness it requires?

IF you answered "Yes"… please take a moment and consider the above. Don't cheat yourself, or your loved ones (or someone else's) decades of life… for the sake of a conversation.

(Edited)

Use common sense when driving and talking on a cell IF you have to... and perhaps deciding "IF" the call is really that important is the real key. If you do take the call...

1. Pull over somewhere safe.

2. Consider cutting the chat short and calling back when you're safely home.

3. Pass this sad story along

Sorry for preaching, but it sucks having to go the the funeral I'm about to leave for. I just want to give you all some food for thought. Maybe this holiday season will be safer for all that read this and pass it along.

Peace 893crossfingers-thumb.gif out

Sorry to hear of your very tragic loss.

Last year a 19-year old kid slammed into the side of my car as he was talking on his cell phone. Luckily, I hit the brakes and he got the front end of my car. Apparently, he had done the same thing to a lady about a month prior. I always turn off my cell phone while I'm driving (especially if it's a short trip), unless someone is with me to answer it.

Bruce, sorry to hear this... frown.gif

On the commentary side, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm sure we can all see inappropriate or dangerous driving due to cell phone usage--it's a shame that it will all have to be legislated when this is really just good sense.

Four years ago I lost my senses and got a speeding ticket because driving was secondary to my phone conversation. I never use the phone in a car if I am the driver.

Bruce, I'm truely sorry to hear about this.

The problems associated with talking on a cell phone can not be eliminated by just going hands-free. The problem is that people simply stop paying attention when carrying on a telephone conversation -- even to a greater degree than just taking to someone else in the car. For some reason (and no one can figure out why) people's brains go into screen saver mode when they talk on the phone. They just can not focus on driving and carry on a remote conversation at the same time. I work for a wireless company and we have spent lots of money studying and trying to figure out this.

The bottom line -- if you need to have a conversation you should get off the road. That is the only 100% safe approach.

Sorry for your loss. I hear you and totally agree. I cannot count the number of times I've seen people swerve between lanes on a highway while taking on the phone or cut into intersections without completely stopping because they were preoccupied. It is an arguement I had with my girlfriend all the time. her father has the habbit of calling her when she's on the road, so I bought her one of those hands off ear-pieces. I'd prefer that she turn the phone off period while she's driving but I don't see that happening.

Casey

Having the phone off is the best solution. I figure that if a family emergency occurs and I'm not available, the caller still has the option calling anyone else they want. Heck, 911 is always an option. I always have my turned off cell phone with me while driving just incase my car breaks down on a secluded highway, or I drive-off a steep embankment and get stuck in the woods. I figure that I need the cell phone more for my own use than the caller.

Another major problem (other than alcohol) is driving while you're sleepy. That's extremely dangerous as well, and has happened to me on several occassions. I've resorted to slapping myself or constantly changing lanes, but the best option is to pull over at a rest stop and take a little rest.

my own personal opinion is that talking on the cell phone causes people to subconciously visualise either the person they're talking to, or the topic at hand. when talking face to face, your subconcious focuses your concentration on things like body language, the eyes of the other person, etc. when on a phone, you have none of that, so your brain tries to make up for the lack of visual stimulation.

either way...

BronzeBruce, terribly sorry to hear of your loss. my deepest sympathies to you and your cousin's family

my own personal opinion is that talking on the cell phone causes people to subconciously visualise either the person they're talking to, or the topic at hand. when talking face to face, your subconcious focuses your concentration on things like body language, the eyes of the other person, etc. when on a phone, you have none of that, so your brain tries to make up for the lack of visual stimulation.

That's exactly what all of the research is showing. It is also thought that the same centers of the brain are being used for phone conversation and driving. Both require a bit of remote projection (mentally putting yourself in another location).

That's exactly what all of the research is showing. It is also thought that the same centers of the brain are being used for phone conversation and driving. Both require a bit of remote projection (mentally putting yourself in another location).

acclaim.gif

MacArthur grant, here i come, stipends be dammned!