• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Cell Phone Conversation + Car = Funeral even if…

70 posts in this topic

A belated sorry for your loss Bruce. Working in the OR on the trauma unit, I see my fair share of DOA and seriously gorked(insensitive term for brain damaged) people come through the doors in cell phone related accidents(the police usually give us the specifics of what caused the injuries), and I couldn't agree more with your message. Phones should be banned in vehicles, period.

Again, sorry for the loss, my condolensces.

Hi mate - I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. All our best from GPA.

In Australia it is actually illegal to speak on your mobile phone while driving (unless you are using a hands free unit) for exactly the tragic outcome you describe.

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Sincerely

George

In New York state, it's illegal too. But rarely enforced. It's as big a problem as ever here. Of course, that still won't stop the woman I passed in a minivan recently who had a BOOK propped up on her steering wheel and was trying to read while she drove.

Red

My condolences, Bruce. A tragedy made worse by the fact that it was avoidable.

Here in the UK, the use of phones whilst driving has been made illegal...a law that is flouted everywhere. frown.gif

I actually refuse to have a cell-phone, for a variety of reasons, and strangely I'm able to run three small businesses without the facility...and very effectively, thank you very much.

As a culture/society, how did we cope without the ability to talk to anyone anywhere at any time? Pretty damned well and it's about time we started 'coping' again. 95% of conversations on cells are irrelevant and not time-sensitive...so use a landline when you get the chance, or pull the [embarrassing lack of self control] over and talk!

To all of you...stop doing it now! 100%...no [embarrassing lack of self control] excuses. news.gif You are actually not that important and should also have enough self-esteem to not have to have the comfort of people wanting to talk to you all the time.

Let's put it this way. You keep it up, you're likely to injure or kill yourself. However, sod's law say you're more likely to injure or kill an innocent. And if you do that, you deserve [embarrassing lack of self control] hanging!

sign-rantpost.gif

Many thanks for all the new well-wishes following my last post.

I'm hoping those that have read this thread have considered changing their cell behavior when in a car… and have also passed the message along to others.

All of you have a SAFE Holiday season.

R.I.P. Joseph Coller frown.gif

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.

For what it's worth and perhaps it will do some good, I passed this along to my teenaged niece and nephew.

My sincere condolences Bruce, I don't own a cellphone but I talked to my wife , told her what happened and asked to think about it every time she *thinks* she needs to make a call while driving.

Just heard this story on CNN and thought I'd post it here. frown.gif

Drivers On Cell Phones Are As Bad As Drunks

"Three years after the preliminary results first were presented at a scientific meeting and drew wide attention, University of Utah psychologists have published a study showing that motorists who talk on handheld or hands-free cellular phones are as impaired as drunken drivers."

You can see a video of the story at CNN.com