• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registry Points
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering what you all thought of the new point system associated with the Registry?

I’m ok with it.  It’s all a bit of a mystery how the points are allocated (I know they look at grade, recent sales, age of card, players stats, HOF, scarcity, etc.), but it seems to me they are giving greater weight to the age of the card.  I say this as I collect mostly vintage baseball and I moved up on the Top Collector’s list.  I always thought that a 60-year-old card, graded 5-7 from a HOF should be allocated more points than a Gem Mint 10 from a current day All Star.  Just my take.

What do you think?

My opinion is mixed.  I moved up to 4th place overall from 17th place, so I suppose that is a win.  But my Chipper Jones set is now 477,xxx points, which is 4x greater than my Brooks Robinson set.  Before, the Brooks set was scored higher and I probably had invested more $ into the Brooks set.  It seems the big change is they now give gem mint 10’s far more points now.  I have countless $10-$20 gem mint Chippers that are now 8,754 points, so that has really boosted my score.  The side effect is that my very expensive Chippers such as the 1991 Topps Tiffany in a 9 and 1991 Topps Desert Shield in a 8 are scored with less points than those 10’s.  I suspect that over time, they will adjust some of these score.

I think I dropped from 38th to 99th or something.

My Desert Shield values are:

Larry Walker 10 - 32,852

George Brett “Record Breaker” 10 - 16,125

Robbie Alomar 10 - 10,955

Eddie Murray “AllStar” 9 - 2,035

Jose Canseco 8.5 - 2,024

Matt Williams 9 - 1,357