• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what grail are you saving up for?

70 posts in this topic

Updated Want list!

Bill James Baseball Abstract 1977

yeah, good luck on that one. Gerber 15 or so

Seventy-five were printed.

Theo Epstein (former Boston Red Sox GM) has one

Paul DePodesta (former Dodgers GM) has one

The guy who is the GM of the Blue Jays whos name is escaping me has one

Glenn Waggoner (creator of Rotisserie League baseball) has one

Daniel Okrent (current New York Times Ombudsman) has one

Billy Beane has two ([embarrassing lack of self control])

Rob Neyer (ESPN writer) has one

James has eight or nine

so there should be a couple left, right? I'll pay nuts money for one - its the Gutenberg Bible for baseball statheads.

Updated Want list!

Bill James Baseball Abstract 1977

yeah, good luck on that one. Gerber 15 or so

Seventy-five were printed.

Theo Epstein (former Boston Red Sox GM) has one

Paul DePodesta (former Dodgers GM) has one

The guy who is the GM of the Blue Jays whos name is escaping me has one

Glenn Waggoner (creator of Rotisserie League baseball) has one

Daniel Okrent (current New York Times Ombudsman) has one

Billy Beane has two ([embarrassing lack of self control])

Rob Neyer (ESPN writer) has one

James has eight or nine

so there should be a couple left, right? I'll pay nuts money for one - its the Gutenberg Bible for baseball statheads.

i heard from a reliable source - i've already asked him - that "Squiggy" has one, so strike that off yer total.

like i said, good luck

Apparently, everyone loves Tec #31 Christo_pull_hair.gif

gossip.gif Look at the Bid Page. Second highest Bid retracted. Who knows then what the reserve was confused-smiley-013.gif

$5600? confused-smiley-013.gif Serpi's underbid was $4000. So I'm guessing that he put in a much higher bid and broke through the reserve at $5600.

The way I was seeing this was - Serpi ups from $4,000 with a value higher than $5,600 and breaks the Reserve at $ X then the other bid comes in at $5,599.00 and Serpi wins for $5,600 but it does not mean that Reserve was $5,600. Now since Serpi won over the $5,599 with his $5,600 means that his second bid was $5,600 and not some $$$ amount higher. Seems to me that there was some off-Bay agreement in how this one auction ended.

Norinn,

Did you bid? I think comicheaven had one with a married cover for less. It looked pretty good at SD. I don't know if they still have it.

Norinn,

Did you bid? I think comicheaven had one with a married cover for less. It looked pretty good at SD. I don't know if they still have it.

I'm not in the market for one, no. I'll be saving up for several years at this rate. tonofbricks.gif

Or perhaps I'll lower my sights a bit and pick up Fine copies of these two. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

cap_01_027.jpg

1035080-Detective64.jpg

1035080-Detective64.jpg.ca4cbbbd648364988cbfd542b12edbeb.jpg

That Tec 64 is cool. It reminds me of the Max Fliescher cartoons. (Probably spelled his name wrong)

I have three books I'd consider grails right now.

I'd like to get a VF copy of Detective #1 some day, but I am not currently saving up for it.

Also, the Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC app. 9.6 Slight P that was on ComicLink in 2004 is another grail I'd like to own some day. (The resto is so slight that it doesn't bother me at all, and the book is just a stunner.) And a little more affordable than the Tec 1, I think. insane.gif

Finally, the Marvel Comics #1 CGC app. 9.4 Slight P that Chris Foss sold in San Diego this year is another book I'd love to own.

Funny that two of my three grails are restored books. foreheadslap.gif Still, the work on each is very slight and they both sold at huge discounts to what I would consider their "pre-restoration grade" value. I don't see the wisdom in knocking a lot off the pre-restoration price just because of a small amount of pro resto.

What's even funnier is that a Detective Comics #1 in 8.0 or higher probably does not exist!

West

I'd like to get a VF copy of Detective #1 some day, but I am not currently saving up for it.

Also, the Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC app. 9.6 Slight P that was on ComicLink in 2004 is another grail I'd like to own some day. (The resto is so slight that it doesn't bother me at all, and the book is just a stunner.) And a little more affordable than the Tec 1, I think. insane.gif

Finally, the Marvel Comics #1 CGC app. 9.4 Slight P that Chris Foss sold in San Diego this year is another book I'd love to own.

Funny that two of my three grails are restored books. foreheadslap.gif Still, the work on each is very slight and they both sold at huge discounts to what I would consider their "pre-restoration grade" value. I don't see the wisdom in knocking a lot off the pre-restoration price just because of a small amount of pro resto.

What's even funnier is that a Detective Comics #1 in 8.0 or higher probably does not exist!

West

Really? I thought Dave Anderson had a copy that would qualify. confused-smiley-013.gif

West

Really? I thought Dave Anderson had a copy that would qualify. confused-smiley-013.gif

Perhaps juggle.gif

West

West

Perhaps juggle.gif

West

for what it is worth, here is mine.....

1037700-detective1.jpg

There was a quarter inch or so of tape on lower spine....i made the command decision years ago to have the tape removed - so not to be 'destructive' to the book----so just a bit of repair there.....damn if you do .....damn if you don't......jb

1037700-detective1.jpg.884233ca790ca668f08827f05f3d0d29.jpg