• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone like Milton Caniff?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Going through our collection and have Caniff originals I thought would like to be seen including a signed letter. The pieces referred to in the letter are shown as well as a bonus Dragon Lady original strip. Names edited on photos for privacy. Anyone have an idea on value? Thanks!

IMG_6430.jpeg

IMG_6437.jpeg

IMG_6421.jpeg

IMG_6425.jpeg

Edited by RCGoldenAge

A number of Terry strips in the period surrounding the Dragon Lady strip were auctioned on Heritage during the past few years, so you should be able to get some sense of comps.  Having said that, I generally agree with Art Dealer’s assessments although the non-Dragon Lady daily should go for more than $1000 if the Caniff letter is included, as it provides very cool provenance as well as the explanation that that’s Claire Chennault. 

Edited by tth2

On 9/14/2023 at 8:08 PM, tth2 said:

A number of Terry strips in the period surrounding the Dragon Lady strip were auctioned on Heritage during the past few years, so you should be able to get some sense of comps.  Having said that, I generally agree with Art Dealer’s assessments although the non-Dragon Lady daily should go for more than $1000 if the Caniff letter is included, as it provides very cool provenance as well as the explanation that that’s Claire Chennault. 

Many Dragon Lady strips on Heritage were from earlier and more valuable periods, which could mislead the OP. This one is from the last DL arc by Caniff. I love it, but they don't go as high. I agree with Art Dealer on this one, give or take.

Edited by drdroom
clarity

On 9/16/2023 at 10:26 AM, drdroom said:

Many Dragon Lady strips on Heritage were from earlier and more valuable periods, which could mislead the OP. This one is from the last DL arc by Caniff. I love it, but they don't go as high. I agree with Art Dealer on this one, give or take.

Yes, that's why I pointed him to strips from the same period.  A number of Terry strips from the Bobby Murphy collection were from that same story arc. 

You're correct that the strips from that later period are not as popular as from earlier periods (particularly the 1930s), and $4k sounds about right to me too, but better for the OP to directly check some comps.