• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Service unavailable and different slab sizes.
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Good evening,

I have a couple questions from a recent large basketball submission. 

1) I received one card back with a "service unavailable" label. From what I can see, others mentioned this is due to a card not fitting a slab. It is a jersey card, but I had cards of the same thickness, some thicker, slabbed just fine. Can anyone explain why this would be? I was properly refunded, so not the end of the world. The card in question is '99 Upper Deck SPx Basketball Winning Materials.

2) Two same-thickness jersey cards (one /99, the other /25 - same set) I submitted were placed in two differently-sized slabs, the larger slab causing the card to rattle around a bit. Will CGC fix this and place the card into the more appropriate holder if I was to send it back?

Appreciate any help, CGC. Thanks for your time.

Adam

• Administrator

Hello, 

This is an excellent question. At this time we only have the two sizes of holders, the standard sized and the thick holders. If the cards do not fit in one of these two holders appropriately, we will not slab them and risk damaging them. Although it may seem that the cards are the same size, some manufacturing defects can cause the cards to fit more snuggly or in the other cards case, loosely in the holder than others. 

With the card that is a little loose, we generally will put a sleeve on the cards that we feel will benefit from this method to prevent movement but if you feel the movement is excessive, you can send it back for review and we can see about adding a sleeve to the card. 

On 9/17/2023 at 7:59 AM, CrystalM CS said:

Hello, 

This is an excellent question. At this time we only have the two sizes of holders, the standard sized and the thick holders. If the cards do not fit in one of these two holders appropriately, we will not slab them and risk damaging them. Although it may seem that the cards are the same size, some manufacturing defects can cause the cards to fit more snuggly or in the other cards case, loosely in the holder than others. 

With the card that is a little loose, we generally will put a sleeve on the cards that we feel will benefit from this method to prevent movement but if you feel the movement is excessive, you can send it back for review and we can see about adding a sleeve to the card. 

Hi Crystal,

Thank you for the quick reply. I've snapped a quick photo from my recent submission showing three differently-sized holders. The middle and far right slabs are the two cards that I mentioned in my original post that both came from the same set, but the biggest slab allows for more movement than I am comfortable with.

I appreciate the explanation for "service unavailable". On a related note, I had other cards similar in size to the '99 Upper Deck Winning Materials, but they were slabbed without issue. Is it worth resubmitting for another evaluation, or will it 100% be returned without slabbing?

Thanks for your time.

Adam

cgc_slab_sizes.jpg