• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think Small, Show us your Digests!
7 7

250 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2023 at 2:20 PM, OtherEric said:

The Australian editions are digest size?  Planet was standard pulp size the whole US run.

Oh, my bad. You're right, that one is pulp sized. I was thinking of this Australian title with the same cover and contents! This one is bona fide digest - it's 13 cm x 19cm (or 5 1/8" x 7 1/2" for those of you stuck in the 19th century :) )

162904942_SciFiMonthly13.thumb.jpg.12b71fa44aa8020b7dd5eab650b41f0c.jpg

On 9/19/2023 at 11:19 PM, OtherEric said:

My copy of this one is in horrible shape, and I can't even find another copy for sale at any price for comparison at this point.  It's such a great cover.

I scanned these many years ago for my Flickr site, and my intent was to share cool covers rather than my particular copy - ergo, the close cropping and likely some touch-ups. 

I know you’re targeting the Avon MMM, which is a tall order. I acquired a fair portion over the years, but never enough to be emboldened to complete the run. So many of them have a wonderful early, primitive feel to them. 

My mystery digest stash got a great boost about fifteen years ago when I found a large stack of them at a postcard show (of all places) for a couple dollars each. What I collect at any moment has always been determined by what I run into. I know it sounds axiomatic, but if I run into a bunch of newspaper comics, I’ll key in on those for a while. Find another handful of soda bottles at a flea market? I’ll be targeting them until some other shiny object this way comes…. :x

Edited by PopKulture

I've picked out a couple issues on this thread for my hunting list, some good ones!

I noticed this funky double use:

This one's at MCS right now graded FN, the colors looked faded to me - rather have a lower grade with better colors (not one I'm hunting btw)

AvonFantasyReader02(1947-05.Avon)cover.thumb.jpg.5c9aa9eb5c5d1df3d23944bafdaae451.jpg

This one I suppose I am hunting, as we need a complete and better scan for the museums.

Eerie10(1953.Avon)coverHollingsworth(HA).thumb.jpg.f9ac14550358908218241e1974b18567.jpg

Edited by Darwination