• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Masterworks -- Website with current info?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Folks,

Is there a website out there with a good summary of the release and status of Marvel Masterworks?  I used to follow Collected Editions and ordered many from Tales of Wonder over the years.  Both seem to have lapsed...  Any good sites out there?

Thank you much.

V/R, Mike

On 9/19/2023 at 2:40 PM, mlovest said:

Folks,

Is there a website out there with a good summary of the release and status of Marvel Masterworks?  I used to follow Collected Editions and ordered many from Tales of Wonder over the years.  Both seem to have lapsed...  Any good sites out there?

Thank you much.

V/R, Mike

The one on Wikipedia seems to be well maintained ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Masterworks

On 9/19/2023 at 2:28 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

These don't appear to have the current info.  The site was a great resource...no longer maintained.

On 9/19/2023 at 2:28 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

On 9/19/2023 at 2:19 PM, Lightning55 said:

Besides Tales of Wonder, you can go to the other site maintained by DCBS, In Stock Trades. When you search by Marvel Masterworks, you can see past, present, and future volumes for sale, with approximate arrival dates.

Tales of Wonder is so difficult to search their site, but I have purchased many trades from them in the past.

There was a good thread in Copper where we were attempting to create a master list/price guide.

Here's the thread

And here's the Google sheet we put together. If anyone wants editing rights, PM me. I sorta ran out of time to work on it, but @WernerVonDoom did a bunch of work on it. If anyone wants to pick up the baton and run with it, so be it! Until then, I think the Wikipedia entry linked above is fairly accurate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eZ4-YEyisd3P6aR947V6DN66BH6SpfxoqXyTeyRNOdg/edit#gid=1189813641

I spent some time trying to find out what was planned for future release and had zero luck.  I ended up just being content with the Wikipedia list which I used to see what I wanted to pick up.  So far I have over 50 issues.  I am buying to read post retirement.

IMG_6037.jpeg

On 9/20/2023 at 6:25 AM, batman_fan said:

I spent some time trying to find out what was planned for future release and had zero luck.  I ended up just being content with the Wikipedia list which I used to see what I wanted to pick up.  So far I have over 50 issues.  I am buying to read post retirement.

IMG_6037.jpeg

Yes, me too!  Great resource if you actually want to have something in your hands and on the shelves.  I love the MMW, and I'm getting the sets for ASM, SSM, MTU, and other odds and ends.

On 9/19/2023 at 4:39 PM, bronze_rules said:

Yep, Masterworks forum USED to be updated.

I find Mike's Amazing Marvel to have a fairly good history. Any later titles can be found at instocktrades using mmw as search term.

Mike's Amazing World of Comics (mikesamazingworld.com)

Yes, this site is awesome!  Love seeing the titles/covers by month and year.

On 9/20/2023 at 9:25 AM, mlovest said:

Yes, me too!  Great resource if you actually want to have something in your hands and on the shelves.  I love the MMW, and I'm getting the sets for ASM, SSM, MTU, and other odds and ends.

All three of those titles are expensive to finish off!  I still need several of the later ones for the Amazing Spider-Man.  I consider myself a bottom feeder so trying to buy stuff less than $30 all in but I am getting to a place where I am going to have to up how much I pay.  Good luck finishing those titles !

On 9/20/2023 at 8:47 AM, batman_fan said:

All three of those titles are expensive to finish off!  I still need several of the later ones for the Amazing Spider-Man.  I consider myself a bottom feeder so trying to buy stuff less than $30 all in but I am getting to a place where I am going to have to up how much I pay.  Good luck finishing those titles !

Consider that instocktrades often has super rates for stale newer issues, like $15, or now several are $30 (including last spider-man). Have to really watch all the time. The other nice thing for those really expensive issues is they are going to reprint all the titles. How long it will take to catch up, who knows.

Second thing is if you are really hungry for good prices, watch ebay all the time. I got a lot of stuff for really good prices that way. Like I got almost all the Dr. Strange titles for around 30 once in a set.

marvelmasterworks message boards have reviews and sample inside images of more recent titles, and I find Amazon shows the earliest images of to be released titles.

I've been collecting masterworks for a long time now and love them.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/20/2023 at 10:18 AM, bronze_rules said:

Consider that instocktrades often has super rates for stale newer issues, like $15, or now several are $30 (including last spider-man). Have to really watch all the time. The other nice thing for those really expensive issues is they are going to reprint all the titles. How long it will take to catch up, who knows.

Second thing is if you are really hungry for good prices, watch ebay all the time. I got a lot of stuff for really good prices that way. Like I got almost all the Dr. Strange titles for around 30 once in a set.

marvelmasterworks message boards have reviews and sample inside images of more recent titles, and I find Amazon shows the earliest images of to be released titles.

I've been collecting masterworks for a long time now and love them.

Thanks for the links!

I have either bought when they 1st came out at the local comic store or more recently bought off EBay.  eBay prices vary drastically so if you are patient you can get some smoking deals on stuff.

On 9/20/2023 at 11:26 AM, mlovest said:

Yes, this site is awesome!  Love seeing the titles/covers by month and year.

An impressive gallery for sure.

But there are inaccurate images mixed into the earliest volumes on the list. Some First Editions are pictured with the caption "variant".

The list is supposed to be from 2003 to date, but those First Edition photos are as early as 1987. This just propagates the confusion as to what a variant is, and can lead to "collecting mistakes".