• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Softening Art Market Has Hit Last Years Auction Stars
1 1

197 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2024 at 11:52 AM, Bronty said:

How long ago?    I saw him on some interview maybe 5 years ago and he was a mix of entertaining, interesting and messed up.

I think it was sometime in the Aughts but the years all blend together at this point. Years ago in any case. 

I'm a big fan of rock biographies and Pearcy's autobiography was a fun read. :headbang: 

On 2/6/2024 at 10:02 AM, delekkerste said:

I think it was sometime in the Aughts but the years all blend together at this point. Years ago in any case. 

I'm a big fan of rock biographies and Pearcy's autobiography was a fun read. :headbang: 

Any particular reason for TIG over VMG for the vinyl?? Neither seems to have a census.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:52 PM, cstojano said:

Any particular reason for TIG over VMG for the vinyl?? Neither seems to have a census.

TiG has better looking labels than the hideous ones that VMG uses. They also have a partnership with Heritage. 

Also, VMG downgrades sealed albums if they have a store price sticker on them (perhaps not coincidentally, they offer a "sticker removal service"... :whistle:) whereas TiG does not. Price stickers can often provide valuable information that help date the pressing of an album (since the exact same sleeve was often used for later pressings) and are often really cool looking in and of themselves. All things considered, I generally prefer albums to have a store price sticker on them as 9 times out of 10 it's a net plus. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 2/7/2024 at 7:31 AM, delekkerste said:

TiG has better looking labels than the hideous ones that VMG uses. They also have a partnership with Heritage. 

Also, VMG downgrades sealed albums if they have a store price sticker on them (perhaps not coincidentally, they offer a "sticker removal service"... :whistle:) whereas TiG does not. Price stickers can often provide valuable information that help date the pressing of an album (since the exact same sleeve was often used for later pressings) and are often really cool looking in and of themselves. All things considered, I generally prefer albums to have a store price sticker on them as 9 times out of 10 it's a net plus. 

I always liked store stickers myself on the video game side as well.   You could see the original price, sometimes the date, and as you say they have a vintage look to them themselves now.   Unfortunately, the OCD crowd won out and stickers have been removed consistently for 15 years now.    What's it like on the music side?   I have to think there are lots of people running around removing stickers there too, and that the market generally slightly prefers 'clean' copies without stickers?

And TBH I basically feel like whatever the answer to that question is, removal will happen more and more over time - its a losing battle, a bit like telling people not to press their books.  :/

On 2/7/2024 at 5:31 AM, delekkerste said:

Good info, thank you. Funny you mention pressings because WOW I find that a confusing landscape. But I am not talking about vintage records here but more recent releases where its clear they are intentionally releasing multiple color pressings, special editions, special special editions, etc.

On price stickers, I think vintage action figure collecting led the way in not preferring them. But there is no real issue with authenticity there, unlike shrinkwrapped products like video games, records and for me RPG products. While I don't care for the look of price stickers it does make me feel a bit better about the shrink being vintage (although people can lift old stickers too).

On 2/7/2024 at 8:41 AM, cstojano said:

Good info, thank you. Funny you mention pressings because WOW I find that a confusing landscape. But I am not talking about vintage records here but more recent releases where its clear they are intentionally releasing multiple color pressings, special editions, special special editions, etc.

On price stickers, I think vintage action figure collecting led the way in not preferring them. But there is no real issue with authenticity there, unlike shrinkwrapped products like video games, records and for me RPG products. While I don't care for the look of price stickers it does make me feel a bit better about the shrink being vintage (although people can lift old stickers too).

I can't speak for records or rpg products but on (vintage at least) games there's no authenticity issue; the sticker doesn't prove anything.    The boxes are cardboard and just the act of opening them stresses the cardboard in detectable ways, especially along the back hinge where color breaks and a groove is formed from having to pull open the flap that you can see under magnification.      Now, when you get out of the cardboard age and into the plastic case age, I have less expertise on that and it may be more of an issue.

Edited by Bronty

On 2/7/2024 at 7:25 AM, Bronty said:

I can't speak for records or rpg products but on (vintage at least) games there's no authenticity issue; the sticker doesn't prove anything.    The boxes are cardboard and just the act of opening them stresses the cardboard in detectable ways, especially along the back hinge where color breaks and a groove is formed from having to pull open the flap that you can see under magnification.      Now, when you get out of the cardboard age and into the plastic case age, I have less expertise on that and it may be more of an issue.

yes i was referring to the constant debates about shrink authenticity on vintage RPG products, for example. I tend to think its overblown bellyaching from old timers upset about the pricing but have also bought some recent pieces where I was feeling a bit duped by the sealed claim (thankfully relatively cheap).

Edited by cstojano

On 2/6/2024 at 11:02 AM, delekkerste said:

Piercy’s autobiography held a melancholic tone. In its essence, his narrative paints a portrait of squandered existence, marred by the grips of substance abuse, the turbulence surrounding the birth of his daughter and how screwed up he was at it, the labyrinth of his own sexual compulsions, and the candidate recounting of an era where 1980’s lead singers found themselves with easy access to a certain hedonistic act with females. Moreover, he candidly unveiled the distressing ordeal of enduring sexual harassment from a club band booker in the realm of Hollywood’s music scene.

I found it a grind to read.

On 2/7/2024 at 5:00 AM, delekkerste said:

I only interact with one other sealed record collector (he is also very much pro-sticker) so I don't know what the consensus is on the matter. But the fact that TiG doesn't downgrade for the stickers is great in my book - I'll just keep using them over VMG as long as their sticker policy matches my collecting interest! 

I agree, the stickers on old albums are great, even better than the '80s/'90s era stickers you see on albums and presumably videogames. 

Like here's my copy of The Beatles' Revolver:

s-l1600.jpg

And how about this holiday 1963 price sticker from The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan: :luhv: (just sent both of these albums in for grading)

image.thumb.jpeg.8add9284af8f62c1c10bc9aed22ef196.jpeg

Great albums: Stating the obvious I guess.

I don’t think I would call this a star, but a Phantom Stranger cover to issue 33 by Aparo was just put up for auction in Heritage after selling in March, 2020 for $22,800. It is a very good cover, but that price was out of line, I think, for the times. That’s also about 10 times what a very good panel page should cost. Over or under now? (although, it would not surprise me if it has potential price protection by others if the price isn’t high enough.) I am not in for it, by the way. I have enough other pieces.