• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Softening Art Market Has Hit Last Years Auction Stars
1 1

197 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2024 at 7:50 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

It's happening across the political spectrum. Families in Florida are drawing pants on cartoon childern's book gnomes.

That pantless Duck is NEXT!! :flamethrower:

On 2/2/2024 at 3:52 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

My only thought is the pendulum has swung so far away from physical media and objects, so much is now rented and subscribed that it has had some negative effect on our sense of object permanence, which is fundamental to forming healthy attachments.  Physical objects provide a certain comfort and stability, and is cited a lot in attachment theory and related developmental psychology concepts.  Transitional objects of attachment, such as a stuffed bunny or a favorite blanket are usually abandoned, if ever even strongly held, in healthily children, with secure environments. I don't think we ever really lose that, in some abstract way, as the familiar is innately comforting over the unfamiliar. Even those that like new things, places, people, experiences, come from some "home base" from which their security and confidence in the world in grounded. It may be family, community, their dog,  garden, home, a room full of OA or comics.

I think that's why, when there's that bunker scene in "Leave the World Behind" and you see the wall of DVD's, CD's and Physical Media of all kinds it provides the audience with an unintended and unexpected sense of relief and comfort. Because rentals and subscriptions and clouds never really have the same permanence when it's really boiled down. 

On 2/2/2024 at 10:31 AM, comix4fun said:

I think that's why, when there's that bunker scene in "Leave the World Behind" and you see the wall of DVD's, CD's and Physical Media of all kinds it provides the audience with an unintended and unexpected sense of relief and comfort. Because rentals and subscriptions and clouds never really have the same permanence when it's really boiled down. 

I saw reviews that were underwhelmed by the ending.

I LOVED it , I’d so find that McMansion with a theater setup and hundreds of Blu-ray’s and games. 🤓

unrelated… what’s Burkey’s address again?

On 2/2/2024 at 11:14 AM, Catwoman_Fan said:

I LOVED it , I’d so find that McMansion with a theater setup and hundreds of Blu-ray’s and games. 🤓

I didn't expect the ending, but after thinking about what I sat through...it was perfect to me. 

On 2/2/2024 at 1:52 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

(Gene apparently, he must have 10 storage unit's full of cr@p he hoarded in his youth or he ran a shoplifting ring of nerds, but I digress...)

IMG_0995.webp

On 2/2/2024 at 12:14 PM, Catwoman_Fan said:

My brother has i think over 1000 cds....from 30+years ago   (if that matters to anyone.????  he loves his music!)

took him weeks to download them all on his computer.

I have many pinball machines and video games if anyone wants to stop by... (no bunker however)

By the way I saw that Leave the World Behind movie a month ago as i love SYFY movies.......I liked it but thought the ending was a little too silly.....

(my brother loved the ending)  go figure! LOL

Edited by romitaman

On 2/3/2024 at 8:52 AM, romitaman said:

My brother has i think over 1000 cds....from 30+years ago   (if that matters to anyone.????  he loves his music!)

Yeah, I probably have about 500 cds . . . and a jukebox that houses all my favorites.

419334222_10161069314049596_6600830126637669517_n.jpg.ae8d4a02b6e69625925aa187c399191e.jpg

"Play some Snoop Dogg, dad, he's the main man!"

On 2/3/2024 at 3:52 AM, romitaman said:

took him weeks to download them all on his computer.

I have many pinball machines and video games if anyone wants to stop by... (no bunker however)

By the way I saw that Leave the World Behind movie a month ago as i love SYFY movies.......I liked it but thought the ending was a little too silly.....

(my brother loved the ending)  go figure! LOL

Nice to hear you have good taste!

Pinball OA for the win!

Edited by Bronty

On 2/1/2024 at 9:52 AM, comix4fun said:

When I tell my kids that when I was a child that I was the remote control (every kid born in the 60's and 70's knows what I mean) and we had 4 channels and UHF as entertainment....they start looking for homes that will take me for my elder care. 

You had it easy.  My generation actually had to get out of the chair to change the channel - and we had 3 channels - one of which was French...oh...and glorious black and white. lol

On 2/3/2024 at 7:22 AM, pemart1966 said:

You had it easy.  My generation actually had to get out of the chair to change the channel - and we had 3 channels - one of which was French...oh...and glorious black and white. lol

Oh that’s what I meant by “I was the remote control”.  Dad would say “change the channel” and I was up moving across the room. 
you’ll certainly blow kids minds today with the black and white though. 

On 2/3/2024 at 8:27 AM, comix4fun said:

Oh that’s what I meant by “I was the remote control”.  Dad would say “change the channel” and I was up moving across the room. 
you’ll certainly blow kids minds today with the black and white though. 

Had times as child, a yell would ring out for me to come downstairs and when I got there was told "turn to channel...."

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/1/2024 at 7:33 AM, Bronty said:

And no disrespect to Marianne, time gets everybody in the end.    

Took the words out of my mouth! And I won't even start my rant about how 1984 seems like yesterday to me! My kids have threatened to "dispose" of me if I don't find peace with the time ravaged beast that I am today. lol

On 2/6/2024 at 6:07 AM, grapeape said:

Played that album over and over on a cross country drive when it came out. Loved it.

Sent off another dozen albums to Tuned in Grading yesterday and sending off a second dozen (including Ratt's "Out of the Cellar" and "Invasion of Your Privacy") later today. :headbang: 

Stephen Pearcy hit on my sister a while back. :blush: 

image.png.30152eccae192673407e9e048ea34452.png

image.png.ab83c9f4611e3393d600a43a2badbb8d.png

On 2/6/2024 at 9:39 AM, delekkerste said:

Sent off another dozen albums to Tuned in Grading yesterday and sending off a second dozen (including Ratt's "Out of the Cellar" and "Invasion of Your Privacy") later today. :headbang: 

Stephen Pearcy hit on my sister a while back. :blush: 

image.png.30152eccae192673407e9e048ea34452.png

image.png.ab83c9f4611e3393d600a43a2badbb8d.png

I'm guessing that's not that exclusive of a club :insane:

How long ago?    I saw him on some interview maybe 5 years ago and he was a mix of entertaining, interesting and messed up.