• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Softening Art Market Has Hit Last Years Auction Stars
1 1

197 posts in this topic

That is it, exactly -- thank you for putting something concrete behind my abstract observations. A long time ago I used to contemplate the changes my one grandfather (born in 1907) saw during his first 40 years, and how shocking these must have been: phones, cars, planes, television, penicillin, not to mention running water, in-home bathrooms, washing machines, refrigerators etc etc. If you fell asleep in 1907 and then awoke in 1947, you wouldn't recognize your world. Considering what we have seen over the past 30 years alone, it has been a lot to take and definitely explains the need to literally encapsulate the past.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 2/1/2024 at 8:38 AM, KirbyCollector said:

That is it, exactly -- thank you for putting something concrete behind my abstract observations. A long time ago I used to contemplate the changes my one grandfather (born in 1907) saw during his first 40 years, and how shocking these must have been: phones, cars, planes, television, penicillin, not to mention running water, in-home bathrooms, washing machines, refrigerators etc etc. If you fell asleep in 1907 and then awoke in 1947, you wouldn't recognize your world. Considering what we have seen over the past 30 years alone, it has been a lot to take and definitely explains the need to literally encapsulate the past.

When I tell my kids that when I was a child that I was the remote control (every kid born in the 60's and 70's knows what I mean) and we had 4 channels and UHF as entertainment....they start looking for homes that will take me for my elder care. 

On 2/1/2024 at 9:38 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Yes, that's true!    in 1907 you're riding a horse around town.    You wake up in 1947 and there's concrete everywhere and cars.    Huge changes all through the 1900s.

On 2/1/2024 at 9:52 AM, comix4fun said:

When I tell my kids that when I was a child that I was the remote control (every kid born in the 60's and 70's knows what I mean) and we had 4 channels and UHF as entertainment....they start looking for homes that will take me for my elder care. 

When we drive by the seniors' home, my kid tells that's where I'm going to later lol 

On 2/1/2024 at 10:06 AM, delekkerste said:

Marianne Gravatte :luhv: 

I will submit my sealed copy of this LP in my next grading submission (I have sealed copies of the Ratt EP and first four LPs in my collection :cloud9:).

All this talk about nostalgia and whether now is better than then or vice versa...all I know is that '80s music and pop culture will never be exceeded as the high point of Western civilization! :sumo: 

Please don't take my opinion as criticism, Gene. Absent the CGC side of things, I'm mentally in the same boat -- aside from OA, I collect vintage 90s/00s toys AND run a web site devoted to mid-century items. I just felt there had to be a better explanation for the why of it (aside from the amorphous "nostalgia"), and future shock does fit the bill nicely.

On 2/1/2024 at 10:06 AM, delekkerste said:

Marianne Gravatte :luhv: 

I will submit my sealed copy of this LP in my next grading submission (I have sealed copies of the Ratt EP and first four LPs in my collection :cloud9:).

All this talk about nostalgia and whether now is better than then or vice versa...all I know is that '80s music and pop culture will never be exceeded as the high point of Western civilization! :sumo: 

Speaking of Marianne,

Here's the concept of future shock in a single jpg:

1f5d6137d6e97ef7352c192ba45c247b.png

On 2/1/2024 at 10:32 AM, Bronty said:

Speaking of Marianne,

Here's the concept of future shock in a single jpg:

1f5d6137d6e97ef7352c192ba45c247b.png

lol 

I would wager a fiver that this isn't really her. I know people change over time but nothing about this woman looks like her.

Here is a photo posted by someone claiming to be her niece (refuting the authenticity of the 2019 photo above) which looks much more believable:

image.thumb.png.164ff6dab08fe76e0aa86cdb05612c86.png