• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kresge's Merry Christmas 194?/195? No info...

18 posts in this topic

I just got back from an estate sale and made some great reasonable purchases taking home a big stack of golden age comics. One book- Dell Famous Feature Stories #1 1938 appears to be in at least F/VF and there are none on the census. I will be excited to get that one CGC'd.

There is another book that I could not find in Overstreet, no sign of it on ebay (present or recent past), and no CGC census entry. Also there is no date of publication or publisher info of any kind on it. Is it possible to submit this to CGC without any info available on it? Would they leave it blank on the label for date and publisher? Or reject the book if no info is available? Does anyone happen to have any knowledge of "Kresge's Christmas Book" ? It's a 16 page promotional, 4 Color throughout comic leading into kid's activities: (color this, cut out this diorama, cut out the paper dolls, games, puzzles, more comics...). It is the approx. size of a golden age March of Comics (approx 7"x10"). I will post a scan soon... I need to switch computers to do so. In the meantime, has anyone ever seen a "Kresge's Christmas Book" ? Thanks for any info! hi.gif

Well, they would have to research the book(I Hope!). After that no clue. It is promotional ephemera, so they should holster and encasulate after grading. You might want to drop this on the Gold Forum. Some of those guys, have a tremendous breadth of experience.

Kresge's is the predecessor to KMart, established in 1899 in Detroit. By 1912, it was a chain with 85 locations. In the 1920s, they made the stores larger, and became one of the first discount chains.

Well, they would have to research the book(I Hope!). After that no clue. It is promotional ephemera, so they should holster and encasulate after grading. You might want to drop this on the Gold Forum. Some of those guys, have a tremendous breadth of experience.

Thanks for the idea- I posted in Golden Age and hopefully won't get makepoint.gif for the double post! 27_laughing.gif

Kresge's is the predecessor to KMart, established in 1899 in Detroit. By 1912, it was a chain with 85 locations. In the 1920s, they made the stores larger, and became one of the first discount chains.

I know they were still in business by the early 1970's because some of the most coveted Mego action figures were made on "Kresge cards" which had to be made specifically for their store display system.

I'm thinking this comic was made in the late '40's maybe early '50's because of the artwork "mood".

Hey, Zipp! Small world! wink.gif

Quick update on the 2 comics I mentioned here: I'm going to offer them on ebay raw one time to help complement the other comics I was planning on offering raw. Not really sure if there would be enough interest in them to warrant CGCing them. Thanks to anyone who helped me research the Kresge! hi.gif

Tim, some times it may be better to put a rare item like this up in a larger marketplace to better represent the fair market value as there is no real idea of what it is worth confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I just put a high enough starting bid on them so I won't be disappointed IF they sell.

One thing I'm going to do is contact someone at Gemstone/Overstreet to provide them with scans and a heads up on the book in case they want to include it in a future guide. About a year or so ago I had a book that wasn't in the guide and someone from Gemstone contacted me wanting scans. It was an EC produced church promotional comic, but so far it hasn't showed up in the guide. I wrote down the guy's email addy but have since misplaced it.

I sold the EC promo raw and it has since been CGC'd by the new owner: "The Church That Was Built with Bread" 1948 CGC 8.0. I attached a scan here in case you want to peek at it...

It's always fun to stumble onto comics that aren't in the guide! hi.gif

1019915-ECPROMO.JPG.e6b4d28d0922a5c961d4b32e055d6446.JPG