• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Nov 16-19 Signature Auction
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2023 at 4:36 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Man. That Thor #160 page by Kirby and Colleta is gorgeous, and someone got it for a frigging steal. 

image.png.e2c0ba6b1a8b20f19826c04c1f7b24fe.png

That was a great one! Wish I wasn't on my roof during the auction.

Man. That Thor #160 page by Kirby and Colleta is gorgeous, and someone got it for a frigging steal. 

If I wasn't going after a few other pieces, this one in specific stood out to me at a great price for the content. Kirby Krackle... Thor.. nice panels. Great pickup I agree.

Edited by Phill the Governor
spelling

On 11/17/2023 at 4:32 PM, Aahz said:

As a non-hippie, I would.  :-).  The pieces are funny.  The art is amazing, and it really is a little piece of history from that era.  That is a healthy price though.

I'd rather spend that money on one of the R Crumbs. Pretty sure those will be worth something in 20 years.

On 11/17/2023 at 4:42 PM, Phill the Governor said:

If I wasn't going after a few other pieces, this one in specific stood out to me at a great price for the content. Kirby Crackle... Thor.. nice panels. Great pickup I agree.

The stupid automatic bias against any Colletta-inked Kirby probably hurt it. But, Colletta did a great job on this page. 

On 11/17/2023 at 3:46 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I'd rather spend that money on one of the R Crumbs. Pretty sure those will be worth something in 20 years.

I bought a great Freak Brothers page earlier this year (for much less) and love it.  Rather have it than the Crumb, and price will be something for my heirs to worry about.

IMG_8189.jpeg

Edited by Aahz

Thor 1/2 face in one panel, 1/8 face in another, two space panels with no Thor + Colletta inks? This price is correct. Colletta does a nicer than normal job (for him) here, but the inks are nowhere close to those by Sinnott or Royer.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 11/17/2023 at 4:47 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

The stupid automatic bias against any Colletta-inked Kirby probably hurt it. But, Colletta did a great job on this page. 

I have that bias too...sometimes (a lot, seemingly) it's valid. Not on this one tho!

On 11/17/2023 at 2:04 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Thor 1/2 face in one panel, 1/8 face in another, two space panels with no Thor + Colletta inks? This price is correct. Colletta does a nicer than normal job (for him) here, but the inks are nowhere close to those by Sinnott or Royer.

I would go back in time and murder Colletta in the crib, but I also thought this went low. Two space panels? That's a PLUS

On 11/17/2023 at 5:04 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I rest my case. This is just silly. 

On 11/18/2023 at 2:47 AM, comix4fun said:
On 11/18/2023 at 2:42 AM, batman_fan said:

Hal Foster Tarzan Sunday from 1932 at less than $20k seems light

It had to be the detail level. Comparing it to other Foster's they've auctioned before it was short on a real depth of inks and backgrounds. 

I'm a huge Foster fan of both his Tarzan and Prince Valiant work, but the subject matter of this piece just wasn't that interesting to me.

On 11/18/2023 at 2:52 AM, ThothAmon said:

My eyes are too old for this piece. 

IMG_1701.jpeg

IMG_1702.jpeg

The prices for Frazetta detritus in this auction were really strong.  In some cases, the gap with his published pieces wasn't that big.