• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Nov 16-19 Signature Auction
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2023 at 7:27 PM, Phill the Governor said:

When the demographic of readers shifted from kids to adults, the writers had to adapt.

Lol the demographic shifted? No, the writers changed how they wrote the books -- just ask Chris Claremont and Frank Miller. They decided they wanted to do comics their way, and in doing so left the next generation of children out of their precious world.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 9/29/2023 at 12:02 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

More goodness added, including:

Williamson/Fraz/Krenkel Shock SuspenStories #8 Complete 6-Page Story

Original Comic Art:Complete Story, Al Williamson, Frank Frazetta, and Roy Krenkel ...

Bachalo Sandman page...Just incredible!

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Chris Bachalo and Malcom Jones III Sandman

Brunner Dr Strange cover...Clea in bondage!

Original Comic Art:Covers, Frank Brunner Doctor Strange

Klaus Janson DD page featuring the purification of Elektra

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Daredevil ...

Very nice Foster Tarzan

Original Comic Art:Comic Strip Art, Hal Foster Tarzan Sunday ...

BWS Conan Saga cover

Original Comic Art:Covers, Barry Smith Conan Saga #2...

Perez Flash cover

Original Comic Art:Covers, George Pérez Flash #15 C...

Heath OOAW complete 14-page story

Original Comic Art:Complete Story, Russ Heath Our Army At War

Zeck ASM 293 page

Original Comic Art:Story Page, Mike Zeck and Bob McLeod The Amazing Spider-...

Also, lots of Kirby, Fraz, Colan, some Bolland, etc.

Fantastic. I own the 2nd page after Zeck ASM 293 page is the issue. Missed on on the page inbetween with Kraven eating all the spiders. That one is my favorite from the story.

Edited by Brian Peck
specify which artwork I was referring to.

On 11/15/2023 at 8:27 AM, Phill the Governor said:

Well thank god 1960's feel-good Marvel (no matter how much I do like it)isn't what the genre, or a monthly comic book for that matter, is defined by.

Even what we now consider to be Marvel 1960s "feel-good" was actually relatively dark by comparison to other superhero comics back then.  DC superheroes were all totally clean cut and never had problems in their personal lives, when they teamed up they didn't fight, etc.

Stan Lee's breakthrough was superheroes that had problems in their day to day lives, even the rich ones, and they bickered and fought all the time.  They seem quaint to us today, but that was pretty heavy back then which is why Marvel's readership expanded from "just kids" to college students.

I always get a laugh at the thought of this page (Avengers 20 p 10 by Don Heck and Wally Wood, written by Stan Lee).  Hawkeye claims his arrow is faster than Quicksilver.  What crappy Marvel melodrama !!  Gardner Fox never would have written a hokey JLA story where Green Arrow challenged the Flash with one of his arrows.

avengers20p10.jpg

I think we're all used to seeing a run-up in prices a few days before live bidding on an HA Signature Auction, but with only one day to go, bids have barely budged over the past 5 days.

Perhaps, just perhaps, this may be the time to strike and go for something that may normally be outside of your comfort zone. 

Who knows, you might end up with an awesome grail piece.  (thumbsu

On 11/14/2023 at 7:28 PM, Will_K said:

I always get a laugh at the thought of this page (Avengers 20 p 10 by Don Heck and Wally Wood, written by Stan Lee).  Hawkeye claims his arrow is faster than Quicksilver.  What crappy Marvel melodrama !!  Gardner Fox never would have written a hokey JLA story where Green Arrow challenged the Flash with one of his arrows.

avengers20p10.jpg

Wow, that is a gorgeous page! I'm not a Don Heck guy but when Wood inked something, he put his flourishes into it.

On 11/14/2023 at 9:28 PM, Will_K said:

avengers20p10.jpg

Indeed, Gardner Fox wouldn't write a JLA story in which there was any conflict among the team in the first place. That was what made Marvel entertaining. Its characters were designed to be impulsive and prone to arguments, just like contestants on MTV's The Real World. DC eventually adopted the idea, leading to 70s work like GL/GA, and Englehart's JLA.

Any predictions on the Liefeld "Enhanced Attributes" Captain America? 

Will it go for MORE or LESS than a top end Breast Augmentation procedure that was performed in Beverly Hills? 

Edited by comix4fun

The artist's prediction (as posted in his Facebook group) is 26K.  He didn't specify if that was with/without fees, and that was posted a couple weeks ago.  I've chatted with some folks about this piece and can't come to a decision as to whether I'd want to own it or not...?  Owning for infamy isn't really my jam, yet it somehow compels!  Ha.

On 11/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, Andahaion said:

The artist's prediction (as posted in his Facebook group) is 26K.  He didn't specify if that was with/without fees, and that was posted a couple weeks ago.  I've chatted with some folks about this piece and can't come to a decision as to whether I'd want to own it or not...?  Owning for infamy isn't really my jam, yet it somehow compels!  Ha.

I love conversations pieces. I also love watching train wrecks...I bet it's $50k. 

On 11/16/2023 at 1:17 PM, G.A.tor said:

first Iron Man panel at 280+...surprising or about right?

I thought the Barks painting seemed a bit low at 75k for a beautiful image... no scrooge in this one though.

Dr Strange 5 cover at 84k seems really strong to me for that cover.

Cockrum xmen 102 splash I guess is about right at 78k? but what a gorgeous page.

Fabry Bane 2 cover at 26k seems cheap compared to some of these others but it did only sell for 7k ten years ago.

TOS 39 page seemed on the strong end of the range.    I would have guessed maybe 250?  But I can't fault the buyer at 336, that's an incredible page to own.

On 11/16/2023 at 12:23 PM, Grant Turner said:

I’m a big Don Heck fan, so happy to see a page of his hit such a high number!

I like Don Heck, but the artist listed could have been Roscoe P. Coletrane and it's hitting this number.