• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Nov 16-19 Signature Auction
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2023 at 1:17 PM, G.A.tor said:

first Iron Man panel at 280+...surprising or about right?

Surprised. I was interested in the piece but lost interest in the low 200's. But as someone else stated, it's a gorgeous page and I'm sure the new owner will enjoy and do well longer term. 

On 11/16/2023 at 10:24 AM, comix4fun said:

I like Don Heck, but the artist listed could have been Roscoe P. Coletrane and it's hitting this number. 

Maybe?  I mean part of the reason the Iron Man mythology survived and became so big in pop culture is due to Don and his work.  The character may not have connected without Don as the artist 

Only $56,400 for the Barry Smith Conan #10 cover. :sorry: 

But at least between a BWS no-action, no-Wolverine X-Men page fetching more than Conan pages at last week's Comic Art Live sale and this, just the latest in a lengthening string of disappointing BWS Conan cover results, maybe @tth2 will finally shut his pie hole now about not noticing that Barry Smith Conan is a long-term secular decline. :makepoint: 

On 11/16/2023 at 1:40 PM, gregreece said:

Surprised. I was interested in the piece but lost interest in the low 200's. But as someone else stated, it's a gorgeous page and I'm sure the new owner will enjoy and do well longer term. 

its the only non surfer page I believe I've really been keen on, but like you, I wasn't prepared to pay that much

On 11/16/2023 at 1:24 PM, Bronty said:

Cockrum xmen 102 splash I guess is about right at 78k? but what a gorgeous page.

That seems light to me, as was the JRJR Uncanny X-Men #177 cover at $84K. 

Highly confident both would have fetched considerably more 18-24 months ago.

On 11/16/2023 at 12:41 PM, Grant Turner said:

Maybe?  I mean part of the reason the Iron Man mythology survived and became so big in pop culture is due to Don and his work.  The character may not have connected without Don as the artist 

Iron Man is 103% of the desirability of this page, even if it were by Kirby or Wood or Ditko. I like his art, like I said. I don't think anything Don did or didn't do made Iron Man connect in a way that Kirby, Romita, or anyone else would have done. 
Don was good. I have fond memories of his work, but no one's buying Don Heck, or Frank Frazetta, or Jack Kirby landscapes or paintings of fruit. The content is inextricably the reason all these things sell for what they do. 
And the auctioneer pushed the "first page where he appears" aspect (without commentary that he's on the page 1 splash)...to drive the wagon to the finish line. 

On 11/16/2023 at 1:41 PM, Grant Turner said:

Nah, it would have connected with more collectors if it was drawn by Forbush Man instead of Don Heck

On 11/16/2023 at 10:42 AM, delekkerste said:

Only $56,400 for the Barry Smith Conan #10 cover. :sorry: 

But at least between a BWS no-action, no-Wolverine X-Men page fetching more than Conan pages at last week's Comic Art Live sale and this, just the latest in a lengthening string of disappointing BWS Conan cover results, maybe @tth2 will finally shut his pie hole now about not noticing that Barry Smith Conan is a long-term secular decline. :makepoint: 

Yeah, but there's BWS Conan art, and then there's BWS post Conan 19 Conan art. I have strong nostalgia for both, but post Conan 19 also has a massive leap in aesthetic appeal (with a few exceptions revolving around inks, full or partial BWS pencils and editorial content). That said, no question that pre Conan 19 art is languishing a bit.

On 11/16/2023 at 1:44 PM, delekkerste said:

That seems light to me, as was the JRJR Uncanny X-Men #177 cover at $84K. 

Highly confident both would have fetched considerably more 18-24 months ago.

I'm sure you're right about, but with reset expectations, is 78k roughly the expected number?      My initial expectation when I saw the page was 100k.   But then I got to thinking that might be too much for the current market.   I can't quite decide if that's me Monday Morning Quarterbacking... or just reflecting a reset expectation.

Overall the auction seemed like a mixed bag to me.    Some results that seemed light and some that didn't.   

On 11/16/2023 at 12:24 PM, Bronty said:

what if cover for 60k seemed very strong

Let's ask "Kirby/Thing" what he thinks...I think it was strong...how about you?

KirbyTHingToo.png.3856333282b26d331f6d4c061b8da3e4.png

Edited by comix4fun

On 11/16/2023 at 1:40 PM, gregreece said:

"I lost interest in the low 200's." 

godfather-the.gif

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 11/16/2023 at 11:13 AM, stinkininkin said:

Yeah, but there's BWS Conan art, and then there's BWS post Conan 19 Conan art. I have strong nostalgia for both, but post Conan 19 also has a massive leap in aesthetic appeal (with a few exceptions revolving around inks, full or partial BWS pencils and editorial content). That said, no question that pre Conan 19 art is languishing a bit.

...and of course, Frost Giant's Daughter...so perhaps post-Conan 15 would be more a better cut point?  There are a lot of nice Conan 11 pages running around just now so that suppresses prices a bit...

I pegged the X-Men #102 splash within a wide $60-$90k range, with me tapping out with a bid of $55k (never got to make that bid, however, as it went to $60k and beyond pretty fast), so $78k felt solid to me.  BUT -- if someone posted it for sale at $90k and gave me six months to pay it off, I might jump at it.  Great splash.

Dan

On 11/17/2023 at 2:17 AM, G.A.tor said:

first Iron Man panel at 280+...surprising or about right?

Very strong price, in my opinion. 

But it's not the first Iron Man panel.  In fact, it's only the 4th panel page with Iron Man (in armor). 

Edited by tth2