• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Nov 16-19 Signature Auction
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2023 at 12:38 PM, tth2 said:
On 11/18/2023 at 8:29 PM, Matches_Malone said:
On 11/18/2023 at 11:35 AM, tth2 said:

I don't know if all of the Sandman pieces in this auction came from the same collection, but if so, the collector managed the feat of somehow assembling a large collection of Sandman pages that didn't feature Morpheus in any of them (except for a few small images of him (and Death) looking different from their normal selves in the page from #21).

I'm assuming that the page from #12, which did feature Morpheus prominently, came from a different consignor because it was auctioned off separately from the other pages.  

Nonetheless, the pages did relatively well despite being without Morpheus or Death, but the gap with the pages with either of them was big.

The remaining pages coming up in a couple of days also don't feature Morpheus or Death. 

Expand  

These are solid prices, considering that most pages being offered were not A+ material.

Expand  

They are.  But it was really hard figuring out how to price them because most of them came from great story arcs but didn't have the main character in them. 

It'll be the same issue with the pieces coming up today, with two pages from a memorably intense scene (which was recreated very well in the Netflix series) but no Morpheus, and one page from #18 (the "cat issue"), a memorable issue in which Morpheus doesn't appear at all.

Very strong pages for the Sandman pages on the last day.  I'm guessing some people who lost out on Sandman pages the previous day were determined to win something yesterday.

On 11/18/2023 at 12:23 AM, delekkerste said:
On 11/18/2023 at 12:14 AM, tth2 said:

It'd be interesting to see some of the later pages with peak BWS art come to market to see what it would do.

I think we've seen time and again that people go nuts when something that wasn't available for so long suddenly becomes available. 

That said, even if some of this primo BWS Conan stuff comes out now/soon and sells for huge prices, please resist the urge to do a sack dance proclaiming the undying robust health of the BWS Conan market. Trust me when I say that I know people who were ready and willing to pay far-into-the-future prices for some of this material a decade ago and that whatever prices these pieces might fetch now probably aren't much (if at all) higher in a lot of cases. 

Just noticed that there are some significantly superior BWS Conan panel pages in the Comiclink auction.  They should be a more fair gauge of the strength of the market.

On 11/19/2023 at 6:18 PM, Brian Peck said:

I am really surprised by Pablo Marcos Vampirella #80 panel page 2 sold for $4200

I love Pablo Vampirella but that is alot for a panel page of his. What do you think Gene since you used to be the Vampire market? 

image.thumb.png.fa5d337c8fb1e4eff7bd103b37b0a818.png

It's a high price, but, I think Marcos only did this one storyline?

There was an amazing page from this issue available at the Society of Illustrators sale recently that I was thinking about picking up, but, when I went back a few minutes later, a well-known dealer had already come in and scooped it up for his inventory. IIRC, it was priced somewhere in the $2Ks (if I'm wrong, it was somewhere in the $3Ks) and was better than the $4200 page above. 

On 11/20/2023 at 10:01 AM, tth2 said:

Just noticed that there are some significantly superior BWS Conan panel pages in the Comiclink auction.  They should be a more fair gauge of the strength of the market.

OK, but, it's not like we haven't seen a ton of pages offered at auction, on CAF and on dealer sites/at conventions that we don't know what the current state of the market is. (shrug) 

On 11/20/2023 at 11:16 AM, comix4fun said:

Why? The story content? Something else? 

Just a believer that Sienkiewicz's NM work has some real staying power and this page will do very well for the seller in a few years. His choice to show Xavier "screaming" his psi-thoughts was always particularly striking to me, considering most other X-artists depicted what would arguably be an assault on one's mental state in a more gentle, "polite" manner (Cockrum comes to mind). I sometimes wonder if Bill's take on psi-activity influenced the interpretation of Xavier as a public menace in Logan, for example. I suppose I wasn't up to date on Bill's NM w/o NM values, in the end -- otherwise I would have taken a crack at this page.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 11/20/2023 at 10:46 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Just a believer that Sienkiewicz's NM work has some real staying power. His choice to show Xavier "screaming" his psi-thoughts was always particularly striking to me, considering most other X-artists depicted what would arguably be an assault on one's mental state in a more gentle, "polite" manner (Cockrum comes to mind). I sometimes wonder if Bill's take on psi-activity influenced the interpretation of Xavier as a public menace in Logan, for example. I suppose I wasn't up to date on Bill's NM w/o NM values, in the end -- otherwise I would have taken a crack at this page.

Ah Ok. Yeah. His run on NM was something transformative for both his own evolution and for comics. Really influential overall. I just thought there was something about the page in and of itself I was missing. 

On 11/20/2023 at 9:47 AM, comix4fun said:

Ah Ok. Yeah. His run on NM was something transformative for both his own evolution and for comics. Really influential overall. I just thought there was something about the page in and of itself I was missing. 

Quit buying New Mutants when he started drawing for the title.  Couldn't get past his artwork.

On 11/20/2023 at 12:15 PM, batman_fan said:

Quit buying New Mutants when he started drawing for the title.  Couldn't get past his artwork.

I look at Bill's work on NM and think, "What if Neal Adams had been bold enough to cross the line into avant garde art?" Neal used exaggerated figures and angles, was not afraid of white space, drew art outside of panel borders, and above all conveyed an intense energy which leapt off the page:image.thumb.png.a4463babda164d2ee844b4ea2093b733.png

These elements are all present in Bill's art b/c Bill was a huge admirer of Neal's, but he was able to take it the one step further Neal never took -- or maybe never wanted to take.

On 11/20/2023 at 11:06 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I look at Bill's work on NM and think, "What if Neal Adams had been bold enough to cross the line into avant garde art?" Neal used exaggerated figures and angles, was not afraid of white space, drew art outside of panel borders, and above all conveyed an intense energy which leapt off the page:image.thumb.png.a4463babda164d2ee844b4ea2093b733.png

These elements are all present in Bill's art b/c Bill was a huge admirer of Neal's, but he was able to take it the one step further Neal never took -- or maybe never wanted to take.

Bill definitely invoked his inner kindergartener when creating his artwork.  I for one am very glad Neal didn't take his work "one step further"

On 11/20/2023 at 12:15 PM, batman_fan said:

My teenage eyes weren’t ready for it then and they still aren’t today. To itch his own when it comes to art as I think I paid ten times more for a piece in this auction than an artist had ever sold for before. In my defense I was upset from losing out on a few pieces, including the Chiodo plus I’m a sucker for chain mail.

IMG_0365.jpeg

On 11/20/2023 at 1:25 PM, batman_fan said:

Bill definitely invoked his inner kindergartener when creating his artwork.  I for one am very glad Neal didn't take his work "one step further"

There are many who say the same about Picasso. If you ever get a chance, visit the Picasso museum in Madrid. Picasso was a very good, classically trained artist and the museum is a showcase of his very early work as he was learning his craft. He would have had a decent career as a fine artist, had he not found his own voice. But he would not have been "Picasso."

On 11/20/2023 at 11:36 AM, KirbyCollector said:

There are many who say the same about Picasso. If you ever get a chance, visit the Picasso museum in Madrid. Picasso was a very good, classically trained artist and the museum is a showcase of his very early work as he was learning his craft. He would have had a decent career as a fine artist, had he not found his own voice. But he would not have been "Picasso."

Bill is definitely talented and a lot of his realistic work is amazing.  Just never cared for his work that looked "scribbly".  I have never been a big fan of Picasso but love Jackson Pollock who a lot of people would say sucks.  Everyone has their preference.

On 11/20/2023 at 12:25 PM, batman_fan said:

I wasn't a fan of his evolution in real time but I've come to appreciate not only how he grew and changed but also how he influenced a couple generations of artists who followed him. 

There are definitely artists who have a simplistic style or minimally detailed line, some of who had comics or strips that ran for decades, but a well executed story whether simple or complex in composition doesn't feel like kindergarten to me....especially if they were inspirational. 

On 11/20/2023 at 11:55 AM, comix4fun said:

I wasn't a fan of his evolution in real time but I've come to appreciate not only how he grew and changed but also how he influenced a couple generations of artists who followed him. 

There are definitely artists who have a simplistic style or minimally detailed line, some of who had comics or strips that ran for decades, but a well executed story whether simple or complex in composition doesn't feel like kindergarten to me....especially if they were inspirational. 

Schulz comes to mind when you say simplistic hm