• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Nov 16-19 Signature Auction
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2023 at 2:03 AM, gumbydarnit said:

The evaporation effect used on the final cover helps it make a bit more sense and add some drama.

I find it an interesting contrast - the horror displayed by the Phantom Stranger getting evaporated and Constantine not giving a rip.

Jae Lee did a good job with the drawing. If the price wasn’t too lofty I would think you’d  like it in your collection… BUT on the flip side, I find if I have to talk myself into the purchase I probably should save that money for something else.

image.jpeg.7c3c29c29d781c10c1a221067fa63f5c.jpeg

At first glance, in R2Y2's post, I thought I was looking at some kind of illustration of 'The Shadow', lol!

Yeah, the final cover presentation makes more sense . . . and I actually quite like this!  (thumbsu

On 10/15/2023 at 5:35 PM, Rick2you2 said:

If not, by all means comment anyway.

Going back a few years, I haven't been a big fan of seeing so many Jae Lee commissions where the figures are in profile.  Also, not a fan of the Phantom Stranger's dislocated arm.  Is Constantine's smoke supposed to represent something or spell out a word ?  Very distracting.

And ignoring that, from a sartorial point of view, Constantine's pant leg seem to be draped all funny and there are way too many breaks.

Edited by Will_K

On 10/16/2023 at 1:38 AM, The Voord said:

At first glance, in R2Y2's post, I thought I was looking at some kind of illustration of 'The Shadow', lol!

Yeah, the final cover presentation makes more sense . . . and I actually quite like this!  (thumbsu

Don’t forget, we are looking at the cover art, not the actual cover. The cover is better than the art. I’m also a little biased because I know what the other 3 look like, and this one disappoints. But, that’s the reason I posted it; I have very real ambivalence about a piece from a good artist that I don’t think is up to snuff. 

On 10/16/2023 at 1:42 AM, Will_K said:

Going back a few years, I haven't been a big fan of seeing so many Jae Lee commissions where the figures are in profile.  Also, not a fan of the Phantom Stranger's dislocated arm.  Is Constantine's smoke supposed to represent something or spell out a word ?  Very distracting.

And ignoring that, from a sartorial point of view, Constantine's pant leg seem to be draped all funny and there are way too many breaks.

I always enjoy a little deconstruction of a piece. As for the smoke, I honestly don’t remember the story even though I have it. To me, they look like symbols. Until DeMatteis took over the writing, the stories were execrable.

On 10/16/2023 at 6:09 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Don’t forget, we are looking at the cover art, not the actual cover. The cover is better than the art. I’m also a little biased because I know what the other 3 look like, and this one disappoints. But, that’s the reason I posted it; I have very real ambivalence about a piece from a good artist that I don’t think is up to snuff. 

I think the drawing is fine and the published image really quite nice, but the cover is more digital than traditional at this point.

You have to imagine the logo, imagine the inking, imagine the vanish effect on stranger, imagine the 'justice league dark' text, imagine the trade dress, etc.

At some point.. why bother. 

On 10/16/2023 at 1:42 AM, Will_K said:

Can't unsee that now

On 10/15/2023 at 8:03 PM, gumbydarnit said:

I find if I have to talk myself into the purchase I probably should save that money for something else.

I think that's pretty good advice.

I can see the price going high to a Jae Lee fan who can't find another example of a cover in this price range.

I wouldn't buy it, but that's probably not a surprise.

On 10/16/2023 at 2:44 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Thinking about it, perhaps an acetate overlay with the missing trade dress and piece of white to make the Phantom Strange fade like on the printed cover would make it more interesting.

If you look at the other Jae Lee covers, this one is a poor 4th, I think. I’ll probably skip it even if it cheap. The other 3, however, are a different kettle of fish.

On 10/16/2023 at 11:09 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I'm not forgetting, and am balancing the two.  You did ask for feedback, quote:

"So, if you have something really good to say about it, please do so. If not, by all means comment anyway."

Where you asking for feedback to argue the toss or hear a different perspective?

I'm no Phantom Stranger-guy, so can only react to what you're displaying in terms of an illustration, which I thought was an intriguing design.  Good cover designs should intrigue . . . and make you want to buy the book.

If it's not for you . . . (shrug)

Edited by The Voord

On 10/16/2023 at 7:10 PM, The Voord said:

I'm not forgetting, and am balancing the two.  You did ask for feedback, quote:

"So, if you have something really good to say about it, please do so. If not, by all means comment anyway."

Where you asking for feedback to argue the toss or hear a different perspective?

I'm no Phantom Stranger-guy, so can only react to what you're displaying in terms of an illustration, which I thought was an intriguing design.  Good cover designs should intrigue . . . and make you want to buy the book.

If it's not for you . . . (shrug)

Fair point. More positive comments than I expected. I guess I should take a shot. 
The other 3 are much more interesting, but they aren’t up for auction.

On 10/15/2023 at 11:01 PM, Xatari said:

Agreed.  If you are not convinced by your own gut, just let it go.  I have little doubt it will sell well. Jae is still a very in-demand cover artist, especially with his Something Is Killing the Children covers.  

Speaking of Jae Lee, I saw that Albert had some Jae Lee pages priced at TWO figures (as in <$100). :ohnoez: 

On 10/17/2023 at 4:27 PM, delekkerste said:

Speaking of Jae Lee, I saw that Albert had some Jae Lee pages priced at TWO figures (as in <$100). :ohnoez: 

I saw a portfolio full of this kind of pages almost 2 years ago at his booth.

Looking at the pages, I could understand why.

To caricature, I would say it was almost blank pages... (and I couldn't find something interesting in all this white, even with the low prices)

Edited by Ecclectica

On 10/17/2023 at 10:27 AM, delekkerste said:

I’m sure you know that It isn’t just the artist; it’s the subject matter which matters. Look at the price differential between Byrne’s X-Men vs. his Next Men.

On 10/16/2023 at 8:55 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Fair point. More positive comments than I expected. I guess I should take a shot. 
The other 3 are much more interesting, but they aren’t up for auction.

I think the following 2 are much more interesting Jae Lee covers. If one of these had come up instead of the one from issue 4 I think, I would definitely be in (unless the second one was heavily computer generated).

PS-5.thumb.jpg.0a97315bd2f86abbcb6e6116c44829ef.jpg

PS-10.thumb.jpg.4a38efb97886ca2728471fb8c028f159.jpg

Edited by Rick2you2