• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Nov 16-19 Signature Auction
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2023 at 9:28 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I think the following 2 are much more interesting Jae Lee covers. If one of these had come up instead of the one from issue 4 I think, I would definitely be in (unless the second one was heavily computer generated).

PS-5.thumb.jpg.0a97315bd2f86abbcb6e6116c44829ef.jpg

PS-10.thumb.jpg.4a38efb97886ca2728471fb8c028f159.jpg

I'd probably rank them 10, 4 and 5, in that order.

I get that you much prefer 5 and 10, but no guarantee either of those will become available in the foreseeable future (and if they did, you might be eclipsed in the bidding)!  As such, if you need an example for your collection, I'd say # 4 is not too shabby an option (and better than no examples).

Not trying to convince you either way but, as I said before, you asked for feedback.  2c

On 10/18/2023 at 6:37 PM, The Voord said:

I'd probably rank them 10, 4 and 5, in that order.

I get that you much prefer 5 and 10, but no guarantee either of those will become available in the foreseeable future (and if they did, you might be eclipsed in the bidding)!  As such, if you need an example for your collection, I'd say # 4 is not too shabby an option (and better than no examples).

Not trying to convince you either way but, as I said before, you asked for feedback.  2c

The problem with all these covers is that the covers are better than the underlying art. I do like 5 better than 4 in part because I have seen a post of the original art for 5. These are all dependent upon additional work after Lee’s work which made them better. Compare Lee’s art for no. 4 with the cover for example. 

One of the “nice” things about my niche is that the character isn’t that popular. So, I can often get art at a better price than if the same artist drew, say, Batman. On the other hand, if I really like a piece, I won’t be out-bid (unless I suspect market manipulation). With these, I could be outbid. 

On 10/26/2023 at 5:11 AM, batman_fan said:

I would say this is one of the weaker auctions in terms of A class material but a ton of stuff in my collecting wheelhouse.  Sadly I spent my money in the last auction :sorry:

But I got a 1953 Peanuts strip so I am okay with passing on this auction :whee: 

Same for me. Not sure why. Ususally its pages of Watched items.

I've been amazed at the incredible composition and dynamic linework of Raymond's Flash Gordon for a few decades now, but narrowing down prices has been elusive for me.  Sometimes I think a piece will sell within my budget (it doesn't) and other times, I don't even bother to bid because i think the piece is so wonderful that it will surely sell for multiples of what I would be willing to pay...missed out on three wonderful pages by this way of thinking.

Long story short, there's a very nice example in the Nov HA auction (at least I think so), and I would love to hear from knowledgeable collectors for Raymond's Flash Gordon OA...what is the expected price range for this piece.

Please DM me with your response

image.thumb.png.7991e0259d5ebf036e63cd335502df85.png

On 11/13/2023 at 8:25 AM, tth2 said:

The Great Crash--it's finally here!!!! :ohnoez:

That really isn’t the way “ overshoot and collapse” works. Whether this is evidence of a broader market retrenchment is a tougher question. When there is a “great crash”, there is usually a “hollowing out” of the market in which so-so pieces don’t hold their value. Then the hollow gets wider as better and worse pieces start to slip. Eventually, as with Persian rugs after the 1980’s, you get a stratification. The best pieces maintain their book value, even if no one wants to spend that kind of money, while the lower end survives. Don’t forget, even after Tulipmania ended, tulips still cost a little money.

For this auction, lots of possibilities. Perhaps the pieces just aren’t in a lot of people’s interests (tastes do change). Also, it may be that discretionary funds have tightened up now that the pandemic is over, and discretionary buys are down (go to any good restaurants lately?). Or, buying strategies have changed (why throw in a bid which is going to lose?). Or we are just seeing the continuing “aging out” process where older wealthier people don’t want to buy and not enough new comic buyers are stimulating demand. Or, too many prices were artificially inflated by dealers and speculators, and the chickens have come home to roost. 

Personally, I think it’s a mix. And, I wouldn’t count on yesterday’s hit staying at the top.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:19 AM, Rick2you2 said:

That really isn’t the way “ overshoot and collapse” works. Whether this is evidence of a broader market retrenchment is a tougher question. When there is a “great crash”, there is usually a “hollowing out” of the market in which so-so pieces don’t hold their value. Then the hollow gets wider as better and worse pieces start to slip. Eventually, as with Persian rugs after the 1980’s, you get a stratification. The best pieces maintain their book value, even if no one wants to spend that kind of money, while the lower end survives. Don’t forget, even after Tulipmania ended, tulips still cost a little money.

For this auction, lots of possibilities. Perhaps the pieces just aren’t in a lot of people’s interests (tastes do change). Also, it may be that discretionary funds have tightened up now that the pandemic is over, and discretionary buys are down (go to any good restaurants lately?). Or, buying strategies have changed (why throw in a bid which is going to lose?). Or we are just seeing the continuing “aging out” process where older wealthier people don’t want to buy and not enough new comic buyers are stimulating demand. Or, too many prices were artificially inflated by dealers and speculators, and the chickens have come home to roost. 

Personally, I think it’s a mix. And, I wouldn’t count on yesterday’s hit staying at the top.

I haven't bid on any Peanuts stuff yet but definitely will if the prices remain below a certain level

On 11/13/2023 at 11:15 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Long story short, there's a very nice example in the Nov HA auction (at least I think so), and I would love to hear from knowledgeable collectors for Raymond's Flash Gordon OA...what is the expected price range for this piece.

Raymond Flash Gordon sucks, it's an old comic strip about an old character that only old fogeys remember, with an old school art style that no one under the age of 80 can appreciate. 

Buying this piece would basically be dead money, especially when there are so many pieces by Liefeld, McFarlane and Lee in this auction that are much more relevant to the demographic that drives the OA hobby.

Look at the piece with properly modern disdain and then just walk away.

On 11/13/2023 at 10:51 PM, tth2 said:

Charles Schulz Peanuts sucks, it's an old comic strip about old characters that only old fogeys remember, with an old school art style that no one under the age of 60 can appreciate. 

Buying this piece would basically be dead money, especially when there are so many pieces by Liefeld, McFarlane and Lee in this auction that are much more relevant to the demographic that drives the OA hobby.

Look at the piece with properly modern disdain and then just walk away.

It’s reprinted in dailies. 
I do want to point out the Pogo was very popular once, but compare the prices now.