• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will James Gunn help, or hurt the future of DC Comics films?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2023 at 7:22 AM, media_junkie said:

I personally think it will not be any better than what went on before.

Where Gunn has a better chance of doing his own world building is as co-CEO he controls their destiny.

It's ignorant to ignore all the tampering that took place due to how WB Studios runs its operations:

1. Christopher Nolan had to demand Jon Peters (giant spider and polar bears guy) be restricted from showing up to Man of Steel shoots due to attempts at tampering.
  2. David Goyer had to deal with a WB exec wanting Kal-El to have access to a rocket so he could return back to Krypton at the end of Man of Steel.
  3. Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara made the 2014 DC roadmap announcement and then by 2016 over-reacted due to BVS critic and blogger reactions even though it was profitable. The MCU had its 2nd film actually bomb at the box office (Incredible Hulk) and 5th film (Captain America) just break even yet it had the leadership maturity and belief in itself to push on.
  4. Suicide Squad (2016) had so much WB exec tampering to disconnect from MOS and BVS six (6) cuts of the film were created by the third-party trailer designer without David Ayers' involvement. Yet it still became a financial success despite this disruption.
  5. The 'Head of DC Films' changed from Charles Roven/Emma Thomas/Deborah Snyder to Jon Berg/Geoff Johns to Walter Hamada to now James Gunn/Peter Safran. And with each shift the roadmap and direction shifted. Including recently shifting much of The Flash ending leading to Crisis On Infinite Earths and removing this content.

But let's blame Zack Snyder for all this, and ignore the WB Studios culture and tampering as it rushed to catch up with Marvel Studios.

:golfclap:

On 10/4/2023 at 8:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

Where Gunn has a better chance of doing his own world building is as co-CEO he controls their destiny.

It's ignorant to ignore all the tampering that took place due to how WB Studios runs its operations:

1. Christopher Nolan had to demand Jon Peters (giant spider and polar bears guy) be restricted from showing up to Man of Steel shoots due to attempts at tampering.
  2. David Goyer had to deal with a WB exec wanting Kal-El to have access to a rocket so he could return back to Krypton at the end of Man of Steel.
  3. Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara made the 2014 DC roadmap announcement and then by 2016 over-reacted due to BVS critic and blogger reactions even though it was profitable. The MCU had its 2nd film actually bomb at the box office (Incredible Hulk) and 5th film (Captain America) just break even yet it had the leadership maturity and belief in itself to push on.
  4. Suicide Squad (2016) had so much WB exec tampering to disconnect from MOS and BVS six (6) cuts of the film were created by the third-party trailer designer without David Ayers' involvement. Yet it still became a financial success despite this disruption.
  5. The 'Head of DC Films' changed from Charles Roven/Emma Thomas/Deborah Snyder to Jon Berg/Geoff Johns to Walter Hamada to now James Gunn/Peter Safran. And with each shift the roadmap and direction shifted. Including recently shifting much of The Flash ending leading to Crisis On Infinite Earths and removing this content.

But let's blame Zack Snyder for all this, and ignore the WB Studios culture and tampering as it rushed to catch up with Marvel Studios.

:golfclap:

I think it’s less “blaming Zack Snyder”, and more "the DCEU is referred to as the Snyderverse".

Regardless of wether the blame falls on Snyder or all the VALID points you bring up…. It was a letdown nonetheless.

Edited by eastriver400

On 10/4/2023 at 8:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

Snyder's limited color palate did not help things. But you are correct he is just one in a crowd that deserves blame.

On 10/4/2023 at 10:11 AM, MAR1979 said:

Snyder's limited color palate did not help things. But you are correct he is just one in a crowd that deserves blame.

I know this gets tossed around as 'a thing'.

How'd you like the color palate with Black Widow, Thor: Love and Thunder and Ant-Man & the Wasp: Quantaumania? Did it enhance the stories?

On 10/4/2023 at 10:02 AM, eastriver400 said:

I’m waiting to see Superman Legacy before answering that question. That said, I am very optimistic and hopeful.  This mythology deserves more. 

Yes, I hope Gunn does a deep dive into Action Comics / Superman history to stay true to the comics

On 10/4/2023 at 10:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

I know this gets tossed around as 'a thing'.

How'd you like the color palate with Black Widow, Thor: Love and Thunder and Ant-Man & the Wasp: Quantaumania? Did it enhance the stories?

To me Snyders color plate is not "Noir" or "Moody",  its plain dreary and depressing. Too many like me it's simply a turn-off.

Edited by MAR1979

I expect the new iteration of the DCEU to fail under Gunn. He does well with humour and quirky characters, but fails when he tries to get more serious which is needed for at least some of the characters.

There is really only one person that could turn things around, and I doubt he is interested - Nolan.

On 10/4/2023 at 7:41 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

I think Gunn is more style over substance. If GOTG is any indication, I expect a lot of yelling and really cool music.

I really liked GotG 3, but man - the yelling. Everyone was yelling. It was the weirdest part of the movie. And it was a movie focused on a talking raccoon.

On 10/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, MAR1979 said:

To me Snyders color plate is not "Noir" or "Moody",  its plain dreary and depressing. Too many like me it's simply a turn-off.

Appreciate you sharing your experience. To many, they liked his story direction and how Superman brought Batman back to a more positive path along with Wonder Woman wanting to be more engaged and out from the shadows.

Not sure where 'moody' came into that if you watch the films.

He’ll never get to finish his plan. He’s a very good filmmaker and I’m sure all his movies will be good to possibly great but people are over superheroes. Especially if you’re rebooting the same material over & over aka Superman. 

I predict his Superman movie will do decent but unspectacular business, say $800 million world, and that won’t be enough for WB who want billion plus grosses. Then one of the lesser known characters he picked - Authority or Supergirl my guess - will be an outright an bomb so they’ll let him finish his last movie or two then quietly let him go.