• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revisiting NEW GODS

209 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2023 at 8:45 PM, Zonker said:

The last appearance of the Apokolips villains until the finale in #18.  Apart from cameo appearances by the Furies, Mister Miracle essentially stops being a Fourth World book after this issue.  :(

I think this tagline is significant:

Likely mandated by Infantino-- Kirby can keep doing Mister Miracle, but only as a series of done-in-one single issue stories.  

Yeah, Infantino deserves a great deal of blame for what happened to DC, but he deserves tremendous blame for not letting Kirby's Epic run its course.

On 12/29/2023 at 2:34 PM, Prince Namor said:

Yeah, Infantino deserves a great deal of blame for what happened to DC, but he deserves tremendous blame for not letting Kirby's Epic run its course.

I have mixed feelings about the man as publisher.  On the one hand, I admire the spirit of experimentation at DC during his 1968-1974 years, as he tried to respond to Marvel's emerging success.  Elevating artists like Kubert, Sekowsky, Orlando and yes Kirby to editorial positions gave the DC books a more dynamic look than they had before. Bringing over the Charlton creators (Skeates, Aparo, O'Neil, Giordano) provided a shot in the arm to previously languishing series like Aquaman & Teen Titans.  And opening up the files to reprint all that classic Golden Age material made me a fan of DC's history, extending decades before my birth.  (thumbsu

But he never gave those experiments room to breathe, cancelling so many books before they could really find their audience.  And he alienated some of his artist/editors like Giordano and eventually Kirby.  I think it likely it was difficult for him to manage upward, that is, to keep the suits from demanding ill-advised course corrections in search of immediate results.  I'd be willing to bet his successor Jenette Kahn was more successful in that regard, as she came from outside the comics world, and could credibly threaten to quit if she wasn't given room to do her job as she saw fit.  The guys at the top of National Periodical Publications in those days probably saw Infantino as a comic-book-lifer with limited options outside the field, and so walked all over him.  :frown:

A race of Silver Surfers, and display lettering reminiscent of Simek and Rosen. I wonder if Jack and Mike were attempting a Marvel vibe to hook some of the Zombies?

On 12/30/2023 at 3:02 AM, Zonker said:

I have mixed feelings about the man as publisher.  On the one hand, I admire the spirit of experimentation at DC during his 1968-1974 years, as he tried to respond to Marvel's emerging success.  Elevating artists like Kubert, Sekowsky, Orlando and yes Kirby to editorial positions gave the DC books a more dynamic look than they had before. Bringing over the Charlton creators (Skeates, Aparo, O'Neil, Giordano) provided a shot in the arm to previously languishing series like Aquaman & Teen Titans.  And opening up the files to reprint all that classic Golden Age material made me a fan of DC's history, extending decades before my birth.  (thumbsu

But he never gave those experiments room to breathe, cancelling so many books before they could really find their audience.  And he alienated some of his artist/editors like Giordano and eventually Kirby.  I think it likely it was difficult for him to manage upward, that is, to keep the suits from demanding ill-advised course corrections in search of immediate results.  I'd be willing to bet his successor Jenette Kahn was more successful in that regard, as she came from outside the comics world, and could credibly threaten to quit if she wasn't given room to do her job as she saw fit.  The guys at the top of National Periodical Publications in those days probably saw Infantino as a comic-book-lifer with limited options outside the field, and so walked all over him.  :frown:

I'd buy a collected book of those Nick Cardy Aquaman or Teen Titans covers in heartbeat! I was even a fan of the Giordano Lois Lane covers!  

On 1/2/2024 at 12:59 PM, Dr. Haydn said:

A race of Silver Surfers, and display lettering reminiscent of Simek and Rosen. I wonder if Jack and Mike were attempting a Marvel vibe to hook some of the Zombies?

Maybe.

But to be fair, Kirby had a handle on that look before the Silver Age ever got started. When, of course, he had control of it...

Fighting American.jpg

ON NEWSSTANDS NOVEMBER 1972

Mister Miracle #12 - Written, Drawn and Edited by Jack Kirby (inked by Mike Royer)

Cover by Jack Kirby (inks by Mike Royer)

And now... Mystivac! With the infamous Snick! panel!

Part ONE:

12_00.jpg

12_01.jpg

12_02.jpg

12_03.jpg

12_04.jpg

12_05.jpg

12_06.jpg

12_07.jpg

12_08.jpg

12_09.jpg

12_10.jpg

12_11.jpg

ON NEWSSTANDS NOVEMBER 1972

Mister Miracle #12 - Written, Drawn and Edited by Jack Kirby (inked by Mike Royer)

And now... Mystivac! With the infamous Snick! panel!

Part TWO:

12_12.jpg

12_13.jpg

12_14.jpg

12_15.jpg

12_16.jpg

12_17.jpg

12_18.jpg

12_19.jpg

12_20.jpg

12_21.jpg

12_22.jpg

On 1/2/2024 at 10:03 PM, Prince Namor said:

Maybe.

But to be fair, Kirby had a handle on that look before the Silver Age ever got started. When, of course, he had control of it...

Fighting American.jpg

Ben Oda lettering, it appears, at his mid-1950s peak. Jack and Joe could afford the best personnel back in the day!

ON NEWSSTANDS MARCH 1973

Mister Miracle #14 (with ADs!) - Written, Drawn and Edited by Jack Kirby (inked by Mike Royer)

DC was falling apart and it was taking everything down with them. 

Batman had gone from 400,000+ copies a month (it jumped to almost 900,000 during the TV show) down to 185,000 in 1972.

Superman, a consistant 750,000+ monthly seller was down to 317,000 a month.

Over at Marvel WITHOUT Jack Kirby, the Fantastic Four had slumped from 340,000 with Kirby down to 245,000 without (it would do less every month from the time Kirby left, for the next decade, finally bottoming out at 177,000 in 1979).

We don't have any numbers for the New Gods books, but we know that Kirby's Jimmy Olsen outsold Marvel's FF in 1972 with 300,000 monthly copies that year. 

Part ONE:

RCO001.jpg

RCO002_w.jpg

RCO003_w.jpg

RCO004.jpg

RCO005.jpg

RCO006.jpg

RCO007.jpg

RCO008.jpg

RCO009.jpg

RCO010.jpg

RCO011.jpg

RCO012.jpg

RCO013.jpg

RCO014.jpg

RCO015.jpg

RCO016.jpg

RCO017_w.jpg

RCO018.jpg

For a while, I have been wondering about the blurb at the end of issue #14. 
RealBarda.png.41c3e1c60833da9421dae9223e16bc9d.png

Had Jack originally planned to do another flashback story (similar the "The Pact" or "Himon"), this time filling in some more of Barda's history?  But reading this issue's lettercol seems to squash that idea.  If the plan had been to do such a flashback, this would have been the perfect opportunity to promote it.

nomoreflashbacks.png.111e2e7c8af4d13d1119230deada3a83.png

For whatever reason, the planned Barda-centric story for #15 was shelved in favor of introducing a new character (as we'll see here soon enough).  They did keep "The Real Big Barda" as one of the interior chapter headings for #15, but it doesn't really fit the narrative at that point.  (shrug)

On 2/19/2024 at 2:32 AM, Zonker said:

For a while, I have been wondering about the blurb at the end of issue #14. 
RealBarda.png.41c3e1c60833da9421dae9223e16bc9d.png

Had Jack originally planned to do another flashback story (similar the "The Pact" or "Himon"), this time filling in some more of Barda's history?  But reading this issue's lettercol seems to squash that idea.  If the plan had been to do such a flashback, this would have been the perfect opportunity to promote it.

nomoreflashbacks.png.111e2e7c8af4d13d1119230deada3a83.png

For whatever reason, the planned Barda-centric story for #15 was shelved in favor of introducing a new character (as we'll see here soon enough).  They did keep "The Real Big Barda" as one of the interior chapter headings for #15, but it doesn't really fit the narrative at that point.  (shrug)

It sucks that Kirby couldn't continue doing it the way he wanted to do it. It's clear DC was interfering because THEY thought they knew best. Meanwhile, all of their biggest titles were in a sales nosedive thanks to a year of pricing their books at 25 cents.