• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revisiting NEW GODS

209 posts in this topic

On 11/24/2023 at 4:46 AM, Prince Namor said:

ON NEWSSTANDS DECEMBER 1971

Mister Miracle #7 - Written, Drawn and Edited by Jack Kirby (inked by Mike Royer)

Cover by Jack Kirby (inks by Mike Royer)

The Introduction of Hoogin, Kanto, and the Lump (cameo)

(thumbsu Jack's most "Fourth-Worldish" issue of Mister Miracle to date.  Great stuff!

ON NEWSSTANDS DECEMBER 1971

Mister Miracle #8 - Written, Drawn and Edited by Jack Kirby (inked by Mike Royer)

One of the great issues of the Fourth World Series. For those who weren't as adept at reading comic books and needed their hand held by the soothing voice of Stan Lee's Funky Flashman persona, these books seemed scary. 

But anyone else reading an issue like this, could see it far surpassed anything Marvel was producing at the time. 

Part ONE:

RCO001.jpg

RCO003.jpg

RCO004.jpg

RCO005.jpg

RCO006.jpg

RCO007.jpg

RCO009_w.jpg

RCO010.jpg

RCO011.jpg

RCO012.jpg

RCO013.jpg

RCO014.jpg

RCO015_w.jpg

On 10/12/2023 at 1:27 PM, Prince Namor said:

Imagine owning this piece of original art!

RCO030.jpg

One of my favorite pages. :golfclap:

I've had this recreation WIP on the shelf for years. I made an error on the nose of the boat, and I need to use an exacto blade on it so maybe I'll feel like finishing it, but I'm a professional procrastinator. 

WAen2TA.jpg

Edited by MR SigS

ON NEWSSTANDS JULY 1972

Mister Miracle #10 - Written, Drawn and Edited by Jack Kirby (inked by Mike Royer)

It really is a shame... when I look at Mister Miracle #10, New Gods #11 (the following month), and Forever People #11; Kirby was really hitting his stride on these books. The 25 cent experiment had failed and it ripped a part a big portion of DC's line. Panic set it and the world was robbed of series that was years ahead of it's time. 

Part ONE:

RCO001.jpg

RCO003.jpg

RCO004_w.jpg

RCO005.jpg

RCO006.jpg

RCO007.jpg

RCO008.jpg

RCO010.jpg

RCO011.jpg

RCO013.jpg

RCO014.jpg

RCO015.jpg

Edited by Prince Namor

The last appearance of the Apokolips villains until the finale in #18.  Apart from cameo appearances by the Furies, Mister Miracle essentially stops being a Fourth World book after this issue.  :(

I think this tagline is significant:

See how it's done in the next complete issue

Likely mandated by Infantino-- Kirby can keep doing Mister Miracle, but only as a series of done-in-one single issue stories.