• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Hearts 83- Roy Lichenstein Drowning Girl- Sold!
1 1

14 posts in this topic

'Lichenstein created plagurised Drowning Girl in 1963' 

One the great things that has happened over the past fews decades is that the sources of Lichenstein's theft have become apparent to the greater population and hopefully his reputation suffers; in my day we were taught all about him in Art Studies without any reference to what he'd actually done.

anyway...Beautiful book and good luck with sale, new owner will be very lucky

On 10/4/2023 at 10:50 PM, SpidersComics said:

One the great things that has happened over the past fews decades is that the sources of Lichenstein's theft have become apparent to the greater population and hopefully his reputation suffers; in my day we were taught all about him in Art Studies without any reference to what he'd actually done.

Lichenstein was a hack.

Anyway good luck with the sale.  That is a sweet book to have.  

On 10/4/2023 at 7:50 PM, SpidersComics said:

I disagree, at least commercially.  Christie's sold his Nude with Joyous Painting in 2020 for $46.2M - above the estimate of 30M.   His work will command top tier prices on any stage whenever they are introduced for auction.

On 10/5/2023 at 12:47 PM, atomised said:

I disagree, at least commercially.  Christie's sold his Nude with Joyous Painting in 2020 for $46.2M - above the estimate of 30M.   His work will command top tier prices on any stage whenever they are introduced for auction.

For now, but his plagiarism could cut into those numbers significantly once it's more broadly known.

On 10/6/2023 at 2:10 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

For now, but his plagiarism could cut into those numbers significantly once it's more broadly known.

I have read many articles about him and his works since 1999 (after Roy passed away in 1997). I was Russ Health fan for years and contributed to fund him until he passed away recently.    Roy hadn't uttered or admitted about plagiarism or asking for their permissions not even DC Comics - all he said it was a appropriation of his works.   DC Comics has taken no action or mentioned about it.

He never said anything to Russ Heath or Hy Eisman about their original works.  All artists would have shared the profit from the sales of Lichtenstein works.  He had 2 children and auction companies have nothing to say about money that would contribute the artists.  Hy Elsman said it wasn't copying but stealing. The conservatory will go on.