• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Humidity (?) getting to slabbed books
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen this with CGC slabs? I’ve had these books awhile so I can’t remember if they came this way when I bought them. I don’t think they did. They’re all 9.6 so I don’t think this would have been present at slabbing. I live in the islands in the Caribbean so it’s very humid needless to say. Never had this issue with raw books, but I also throw moisture absorbing packs in my short boxes. I’ve had all these books about a year, so you think the humidity is getting to them? If not, they look like good candidates to have cracked, pressed and regarded for a little bump. Any thoughts?  

IMG_2785.jpeg

IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2787.jpeg

On 08/10/2023 at 13:29, SpceWrnglr said:

Alguém já viu isso com lajes CGC? Já tenho esses livros há algum tempo, então não me lembro se eles vieram assim quando os comprei. Eu não acho que eles fizeram isso. Eles são todos 9,6, então não acho que isso estaria presente na laje. Eu moro nas ilhas do Caribe, então é muito úmido, nem preciso dizer. Nunca tive esse problema com livros brutos, mas também jogo pacotes que absorvem umidade em minhas caixinhas. Eu tenho todos esses livros há cerca de um ano, então você acha que a umidade está afetando eles? Caso contrário, eles parecem bons candidatos para serem rachados, pressionados e considerados em busca de um pequeno solavanco. Alguma ideia?  

IMG_2785.jpeg

IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2787.jpeg

I'm sure it's humidity, there's no way a 9.6 can have that ripple.

On 10/8/2023 at 2:01 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Can't imagine a 9.6 with a wavy top like that.

Exactly what I was thinking. No way these showed up and I wasn’t shocked. I would have remembered. 

I did remember that December last year we had a mold issue in the house and had to have the house “fogged” and I didn’t want the books sprayed. So I placed a few short boxes and these slabs in the car for two days. Again the raws are fine. But I think the slabs may have been affected because they have trapped cool air inside (like a camera lens or sunglasses that fog when you walk outside) that could have held moisture. No that I think about it, it wasn’t the smartest idea. But the crew was there and I didn’t know what to do with the books. 

On 08/10/2023 at 16:28, SpceWrnglr said:

Exatamente o que eu estava pensando. De jeito nenhum isso apareceu e eu não fiquei chocado. Eu teria me lembrado. 

Eu me lembrei que em dezembro do ano passado tivemos um problema de mofo na casa e tivemos que “embaçar” a casa e eu não queria que os livros fossem borrifados. Então coloquei algumas caixas curtas e essas lajes no carro por dois dias. Mais uma vez, os raws estão bem. Mas acho que as lajes podem ter sido afetadas porque retiveram ar frio em seu interior (como lentes de uma câmera ou óculos de sol que embaçam quando você sai de casa) que poderia ter retido umidade. Não, eu penso sobre isso, não foi a ideia mais inteligente. Mas a equipe estava lá e eu não sabia o que fazer com os livros. 

Pressing removes the ripples, I recommend closing the plates in a box with salica gel (anti-humidity).

On 10/8/2023 at 3:36 PM, mateus menor said:

Pressing removes the ripples, I recommend closing the plates in a box with salica gel (anti-humidity).

Yeap I’ve got some raws I was gonna send to be pressed and cleaned looks like I’ll be sending these slabs to cracked and pressed. Hey gives the opportunity to upgraded to a custom label. Gotta see the upsides 

On 08/10/2023 at 16:39, SpceWrnglr said:

Sim, tenho algumas matérias-primas que vou enviar para serem prensadas e limpas, parece que vou mandar essas placas para serem quebradas e prensadas. Hey dá a oportunidade de atualizar para uma etiqueta personalizada. Tenho que ver as vantagens 

yes, you have to enjoy it since you will have to send it again lol

On 10/8/2023 at 5:43 PM, Dreamsleep said:

I have seen this with pressed books that get slabbed. In the coming months they may see some reversion post slabbing. 

I could see that if they were all from the same seller or collection. But I purchased two of these from two different eBay sellers and one from comiclink. Which makes me think it happened because of how I’m storing them. Granted every slab I have doesn’t look this, so … 🤷‍♂️

On 10/8/2023 at 12:29 PM, SpceWrnglr said:

Has anyone seen this with CGC slabs? I’ve had these books awhile so I can’t remember if they came this way when I bought them. I don’t think they did. They’re all 9.6 so I don’t think this would have been present at slabbing. I live in the islands in the Caribbean so it’s very humid needless to say. Never had this issue with raw books, but I also throw moisture absorbing packs in my short boxes. I’ve had all these books about a year, so you think the humidity is getting to them? If not, they look like good candidates to have cracked, pressed and regarded for a little bump. Any thoughts?  

IMG_2785.jpeg

IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2787.jpeg

Humidity will destroy book in slabs or out of them. I live in Michigan, where the humidity is far less than what it is in the Caribbean, I'm sure, and I would not even consider keeping my comics books in a room without air conditioning.

You are taking a risk if you want them out of the slabs.  All books will be re-graded.  You may won't see 9.6s anymore.

If you want them to be pressed by CGC pressers.  I don't think they are highly qualified pressers.  They were hired without the necessity of the experiences.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:24 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Humidity will destroy book in slabs or out of them. I live in Michigan, where the humidity is far less than what it is in the Caribbean, I'm sure, and I would not even consider keeping my comics books in a room without air conditioning.

edit: 50% RH where I store the books

I keep them all inside the house in A/C. Except for that brief two days it was in the car while the house was treated (like I said probably a bad decision looking back). But the RH inside our house is very high. I’m not there now, but I think it’s around 78%. I know it’s over 70%.

Edited by SpceWrnglr

On 10/9/2023 at 11:40 AM, SpceWrnglr said:

I keep them all inside the house in A/C. Except for that brief two days it was in the car while the house was treated (like I said probably a bad decision looking back). But the RH inside our house is very high. I’m not there now, but I think it’s around 78%. I know it’s over 70%.

I'm somewhat surprised that the RH would be that high with A/C—but then I don't live in the Carribean.

I know that 1950s comics from the Phillippines, where the humidity is high, are virtually impossible to find in any grade above "rag." High humidity and comic collecting don't seem to mix.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:17 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm somewhat surprised that the RH would be that high with A/C—but then I don't live in the Carribean.

I know that 1950s comics from the Phillippines, where the humidity is high, are virtually impossible to find in any grade above "rag." High humidity and comic collecting don't seem to mix.

Just got home and checked. It was 64% RH on the 2nd floor and 50% on the first floor where I keep the books. The 78% number I got from a smart thermostat which may have been showing me the chance of rain or RH outside. It’s just a dew drop with a percentage number. I assumed it was RH.

I also went through some slabs that I know I’ve had longer and stored in the same place and conditions and they’re fine. So this may just be 3 examples of pressings reverting. 

Either way it gave me an opportunity to look at and address any storage issues. I put a dehumidifier in the room, along with some Eva dry mini dehumidifier’s (silica gel) in the actual short boxes. I also installed Bluetooth Govee hygrometers in each short box to monitor the RH inside the boxes to make sure the RH doesn’t get too high or too low. 

Edited by SpceWrnglr

On 10/10/2023 at 3:33 PM, Artboy99 said:

I personally think the issue is with the book and contact with the plastic of the inner well and how the surfaces interact within the slab. I have seen this type of rippling myself in slabs and I live in a rather dry climate.

I know from framing posters, if not given room to breath the paper will ripple just like this. So maybe the same affect is happening here inside the inner well.