• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keith Giffin died
1 1

17 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2023 at 8:01 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Don’t have any details about it, but he was a good man who loved to play the sourpuss. A great artist and writer, as well as a mentor for other artists, he had his retirement cut short way too soon.

His last post on Facebook was: 

"I told them I was sick...

Anything not to go to New York Comic Con

Thanx

Keith Giffen 1952-2023

Bwah ha ha ha ha"

Epic. 

On 10/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, buttock said:

His last post on Facebook was: 

"I told them I was sick...

Anything not to go to New York Comic Con

Thanx

Keith Giffen 1952-2023

Bwah ha ha ha ha"

Epic. 

I had seen that, and was planning to post it.

I loved his sleek work on LSH with Larry Mahlstedt. His sense of humor came through more in Ambush Bug and JLI. I met him at Dragon Con 2019. He was there to talk about writing. I asked him if he was doing any commission sketches. He said "Maybe Mon El, come by my table later" but ultimately decided not to do any art. Better that, than turning in a half-hearted effort.

A Keith Giffen story.

I had met Keith a number of times, and on one occasion he told me he wouldn't do a Phantom Stranger commission because he really disliked the character. Too cold and distant he said (some truth to that, no thanks to many writers). In any event, I learned that an artist I knew he had mentored had given birth. So, between shows (of a few months), I decided to pick her up a baby present and bring it to the next show. She wasn't there, which probably shouldn't have surprised me, but Keith was there. I told him I had a baby present for X, and he offered to bring it over to her later. He was also sitting around with empty time on his hands, and he decided to scribble some sketches. He was also aware of my interest in the Phantom Stranger, he knew me by then. All of a sudden, he started scribbling a sketch. You guessed it: the Phantom Stranger. And here it is. By the way, he signed it twice, at my request, because his penmanship was so bad it was illegible. He scowled, but did it anyway.

KeithGiffen01.thumb.jpg.d8f474deab3534fc4ebd258c753e4567.jpg

On 10/14/2023 at 2:16 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

This saddens me. I need to find a good Legion of Superheroes page from his iconic run. 

A few have come up on Heritage recently, and I think there's at least one in the upcoming November Signature Auction, but they ain't cheap! 

On 10/12/2023 at 5:52 PM, Rick2you2 said:

A Keith Giffen story.

I had met Keith a number of times, and on one occasion he told me he wouldn't do a Phantom Stranger commission because he really disliked the character. Too cold and distant he said (some truth to that, no thanks to many writers). In any event, I learned that an artist I knew he had mentored had given birth. So, between shows (of a few months), I decided to pick her up a baby present and bring it to the next show. She wasn't there, which probably shouldn't have surprised me, but Keith was there. I told him I had a baby present for X, and he offered to bring it over to her later. He was also sitting around with empty time on his hands, and he decided to scribble some sketches. He was also aware of my interest in the Phantom Stranger, he knew me by then. All of a sudden, he started scribbling a sketch. You guessed it: the Phantom Stranger. And here it is. By the way, he signed it twice, at my request, because his penmanship was so bad it was illegible. He scowled, but did it anyway.

KeithGiffen01.thumb.jpg.d8f474deab3534fc4ebd258c753e4567.jpg

Sounds like Kieth. Congrats

On 10/14/2023 at 12:51 PM, Rick2you2 said:

He also confirmed something which was unexpected: who the Phantom Stranger was supposed to be. No, not Judas.

I have never liked the Judas solution to the mystery.

On 10/14/2023 at 5:31 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I have never liked the Judas solution to the mystery.

I’ll keep the correct answer a secret for now; someday I’ll write a tell-all. But I will give one hint. The key question is not who the Phantom Stranger is but what he is. There may not be a who.

On 10/14/2023 at 8:52 PM, Will_K said:

I don't get it.  You say Giffen disliked the Phantom Stranger.  Also, he didn't create the character.  Why is he an authority on who or what is the Phantom Stranger ?

Even in the 80's Secret Origins series, they had an issue with 4 different origins:

https://www.comics.org/issue/42350/?

He was an insider who also wrote stories. He seemed to have a more formal status than that at DC, mentoring artists among other things, but I don’t actually know anything. Whatever it was, it gave him access to not-readily-available DC information. In my case, he just blurted it out after I told him what I had learned in prior decades. Kind of like an unexpected tip.

About those 4 stories, I am fairly certain that none of them are true. If there was a “master plan” in place all those years, which may not be the case, they are red herrings intended to make the reader think something different than the truth. If you look at issue 42, which was added to the Second Series years after it ended, you will notice that Deadman found evidence of 3 of the 4 stories in the Phantom Stranger’s brain. That would make no sense unless they are planted stories.

Edited by Rick2you2

Keith Giffen, has been one of my creative heroes since I was a kid. His fingerprints are all over so many great books and characters, from the 70's to current day, but I was an 80's kid, so it will always be Legion (particularly 5YL) and JLI at the top of the list for me, though I also have great love for Ambush Bug, The Heckler. Dr. Fate, and so many others. He was on my bucket list of creators to meet, and finally, about four or five years ago, he came to a local show. Got to meet him and chat and he couldn't have been nicer and more genuine. Bought a print, got some sigs, and walked away feeling great about it.

He returned the next year, and this time Spencer was also there, so I was able to pick up a couple of pieces of art. There's this Steppenwolf piece that is marked "trading card", though to me it looks like the artwork to the Super Powers figure, and I've not seen it repeated anywhere else. And on the other end of the spectrum, this terrific Trencher splash. I think I paid like $125 and $150 each, to me still the bargains of my life. I already treasured them, but now they seem even more precious, and also bittersweet.

I'm glad that it seems like Keith is finally getting his roses in recent years. You have a new generation of artists like Michel Fiffe who are vocal about their Giffen appreciation, and it's about time. Well overdue, actually.

RIP to one of the best to ever do it.

(Forgive the cruddy pics)

IMG_6057.JPG

IMG_6058.JPG