• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

slabbed pulps at new york comic con
3 3

31 posts in this topic

I don’t have a lot of CGC graded comics due mostly to storage considerations. I can’t imagine how much more space my pulps would take up if slabbed…:pullhair:

That being said, I am mostly a cover collector when it comes to pulps so I am looking forward to having just a few. 

Is it a one size fits all sort of slab?  It seems like it would be tough to account for varying thicknesses...

A LOT more variables in terms of grading than comics, too.

Only stick the very highest of grades in there, please, let my people go! (:

On 10/18/2023 at 11:17 AM, Robot Man said:

I don’t have a lot of CGC graded comics due mostly to storage considerations. I can’t imagine how much more space my pulps would take up if slabbed…:pullhair:

Actually, with pulps, the difference won't be as significant, I'm thinking.  The plastic of the slab is "X" amount thick.  I'm assuming it will be the same plastic for both comics and pulps.  Adding that thickness to a thin 36-page comic is a considerable increase in size.  Adding it to a pulp that's already an inch thick isn't, comparatively, that huge an increase in thickness.

On 10/22/2023 at 8:29 AM, Robot Man said:

At a quick glance that 5.0 looks pretty nice. Looks like I will have my hands full re-grading my pulp collection soon…

Not sure . You can't tell from that far away . I see a lot of wear on the spine and the bottom corner , who knows what else we can't see .
But I share your concern . Hopefully they grade as per Heritage standards as I got most of mine from there .

Edit : I took a snapshot and enlarged it . There is some kind of stain or color rub or creasing on the top right . Lots of wear on the spine . I am thinking it is graded fairly for a pulp ./

Edited by MauriceSS

My guess is their standards will be stricter than Heritage and traditional pulp grading schemes (G/VG/Fine/only upper crust VF).  There sure ain't gonna be a bunch of nine pluses floating around.

I can only imagine the crazy backlog when people send in their books in a rush to get the best one in the box.

Let my people go!

On 10/22/2023 at 10:22 AM, Darwination said:

My guess is their standards will be stricter than Heritage and traditional pulp grading schemes (G/VG/Fine/only upper crust VF).  There sure ain't gonna be a bunch of nine pluses floating around.

VF are very rare at Heritage . Never seen 9s ( maybe one ) . Based on what do you think CGC will be stricter ? So far based on their sample , it is graded same as Heritage .

Edited by MauriceSS

On 10/22/2023 at 10:14 AM, MauriceSS said:

Edit : I took a snapshot and enlarged it . There is some kind of stain or color rub or creasing on the top right . Lots of wear on the spine . I am thinking it is graded fairly for a pulp ./

what's the cert # on that slab?   

Edited by Dr. Love

Totally just a guess, but I think a lot of the subtle but extensive restoration work that's been done to keep the pulps together will have more of a light shone on it and that perhaps more of the faults in the interior pages (water damage etc) that sometimes slip past Heritage aren't going to get by CGC.  We'll see, though.

Things have radically changed in my lifetime. Many, are vast improvements and many aren’t. I don’t fight change but I retain a lot of great things from the past. Vinyl records, tube amps and carburetors come to mind. I believe some of us oldsters would fare far better in the event of a huge unnatural upheaval.

I can say, collecting comics was FAR better in the old days…:preach:

I get that collectors like to know what they are buying and want to protect their investment.

Slabbing also encourages commodification, cold speculation, and serves the purposes of grading companies and auction houses who will be taking in the lion's share of any new pulp slabbing frenzy (THE HOUSE ALWAYS WINS).

Pulps and comics are books that are meant to be read.  I own many thousands of books and zero slabs.  But to each their own. :banana: