• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When a piece you own becomes a cover!
2 2

7 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, Grant Turner said:

I know there was a thread on this a long time ago, but I can’t find it.

I wanted to share that a Rob Liefeld sketch I bought two years ago from Glen Brunswick (on their dealer YouTube show) is going to be a variant cover on an upcoming issue of Uncanny Avengers 

I'm very excited!!!IMG_8446.thumb.jpeg.3d33cc5c46ab1802ace1c7da49e38731.jpegIMG_4114.thumb.jpeg.7862169574015b28b7ccec24221c3cc7.jpeg 

Nice, but if it's a Liefeld, Cap's chest needs to be of gigantic proportions!

Cap's shield looks a bit wonky, though the feet are showing signs of improvement  ;)

Edited by The Voord

On 10/20/2023 at 9:25 AM, Grant Turner said:

I know there was a thread on this a long time ago, but I can’t find it.

I wanted to share that a Rob Liefeld sketch I bought two years ago from Glen Brunswick (on their dealer YouTube show) is going to be a variant cover on an upcoming issue of Uncanny Avengers 

I'm very excited!!!IMG_8446.thumb.jpeg.3d33cc5c46ab1802ace1c7da49e38731.jpegIMG_4114.thumb.jpeg.7862169574015b28b7ccec24221c3cc7.jpeg 

How exactly does this work?  Presuming you had the OA before they decided to make it a cover, where are they sourcing the image from?  Does Rob (and every artist) take high res scans of all their work prior to sending it out so they can use it as cover art?  Additionally, how do you know yours is the original art the image is coming from?  I mean, asides from the obvious that everything looks the same, but don't artists also do rough preliminary sketches?  For example, this unpublished cover looks very similar to the actual cover used, yet, it isn't.

Jim Lee Batman #616 Unpublished Cover / Contest Original Art | LotID #232001 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

On 10/23/2023 at 2:37 PM, ExNihilo said:

How exactly does this work?

I know Rob draws it out on paper then copies it to blue line and does all additional work (inks, color, effects, etc) on the copy.

so these pencils are the only pencils done for the cover.

I assume he had the copy on file and submitted it as a variant but not 100% sure how that all played out

( when I got it, I posted about it on social media and Rob chimed in.  Said he really liked how it turned out, the powers that be went in a different direction.  So I think he had it ready to go if another opportunity were to ever come up)

Edited by Grant Turner
Additional information