• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Fall Edition #8 Round 2
11 11

156 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2023 at 7:17 PM, jcjames said:
On 10/27/2023 at 7:08 PM, g-man said:

4/5 🎯…..1 point (just missed running the table but guessed 2.0 on The Thing) :banana:

data-tng.gif.1b71b230c4c2d1e6c6ec69eb43588239.gif

If that was the last book, I put 2.0 on it as well lol

Four points and that's the one! Ten total at least one bullseye 🎯

On 10/27/2023 at 7:02 PM, CGC Mike said:

Prize #8

Light silverfish damage back cover

Multiple shadow cover

Small tear left center of back cover

Light creasing to cover

Light finger bends on cover

Thing #15

Moderate staining to cover

Heavy spine roll

Multiple tear spine

Multiple tears right center of front cover

Multiple creases cover breaks color

Shocking Mystery #51

Light staple rust

Light pieces out of cover

Light bends to cover

Silverfish damage back cover

Fantastic Fears #5

Multiple stains center front cover

Light foxing to cover

Multiple creases cover breaks color

Romantic Hearts #9

Tear left center of whole book

Stain top of front cover

Moderate creasing to cover

Medium stain right bottom of back cover

Foxing to cover

Moderate spine roll

Multiple tear spine

When the notes on that last book said tear through spine entire book when we were to grade it? doh!

Doh I had a patsy walker #11 or #12 like that, years ago circa 2016-18 via spare a grade they told me it wouldn't grade higher than 2.5. I've since parted ways with it but snap! Doh

3742256_Full_Rev.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

5 points same as last round. I knew the Shocking Mystery was trouble and should have gone with my gut on the Prize Comics as I wanted to bump it down to a 7.0 last minute.

Prize Comics #8 - 7.5  +1

Thing #15 - 3.0 +1

Shocking Mystery Cases #51 - 4.0 +2 :sick:

Fantastic Fears #5 - 4.5  :acclaim:

Romantic Hearts #9 - 3.5 +1

On 10/27/2023 at 5:04 PM, skypinkblu said:

and yes, I managed to mess this round up, Tom;) 7 points.

That's not a mess...that's at minimum very good to fine/fine+ which was my score...1 off on 4 books and 3 off on the Thing book...I went 1.8...(figuring it was 1.5 to 2.0 max and split the difference) shocking that go a 2.5.  If someone showed me that at 2.5 and requisite pricing I'd laugh.  My 4 1-off grades from first book to last over/under/under/under...

I honestly had to Google silverfish cuz I had no idea what it was. Just when you think you've seen every defect this contest throws you a curve ball. I imagine next round will show a book with damage from a bow and arrow with part of the arrow still stuck in the book.

• Administrator
On 10/27/2023 at 9:56 PM, Ride the Tiger said:

I imagine next round will show a book with damage from a bow and arrow with part of the arrow still stuck in the book.

:idea:

That was so exciting.....After the first 4 books I had 2 points ...I thought my ship had come in ...and that 5th book has a tear on the spine going thru the whole book....I thought that sounded really bad  .....so I gave it a 2.5 .....well that was stupid and I ended up with 5     That's still a record for me.....every round there is always one book that kills me.

On 10/27/2023 at 10:00 PM, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

That was so exciting.....After the first 4 books I had 2 points ...I thought my ship had come in ...and that 5th book has a tear on the spine going thru the whole book....I thought that sounded really bad  .....so I gave it a 2.5 .....well that was stupid and I ended up with 5     That's still a record for me.....every round there is always one book that kills me.

I said 3.5 on the Romantic Hearts. Agreed; I wouldn't call it 4.0 with that trauma. A big tear through the whole spine is pretty rough!