• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Link Fall Featured Auction Nov 17
2 2

125 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2023 at 7:27 PM, Grendel72 said:

The incription by Gaiman rly hurts to see. Not that I could afford it but I wouldn't bid on it. 

Of all the comic book series out there, I would daresay that this is one that the writer's inscription is more relevant than the artists.  Not saying that the artists did not do a brilliant job, but it's Gaiman's show.  I don't think this is the one to hit 10K, though.

On 10/30/2023 at 2:25 PM, Aahz said:

Of all the comic book series out there, I would daresay that this is one that the writer's inscription is more relevant than the artists.  Not saying that the artists did not do a brilliant job, but it's Gaiman's show.  I don't think this is the one to hit 10K, though.

I think you meant to say that it won't hit $100K.

It should be noted that in addition to the plethora of Sandman OA that has come to market over the past few HA auctions, and those listed in the Nov HA auction, there's another batch of Sandman art already in queue in the miscellaneous section of the Jan HA Signature auction!  

On 10/30/2023 at 11:44 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

It should be noted that in addition to the plethora of Sandman OA that has come to market over the past few HA auctions, and those listed in the Nov HA auction, there's another batch of Sandman art already in queue in the miscellaneous section of the Jan HA Signature auction!  

Glad I'm not the only junkie that spends too much time searching for the upcoming gems on HA.com. March International already posting :)

On 10/30/2023 at 1:44 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yes 100K.  Wishful thinking I guess.  :-)

There have been three pages from Sandman # 8 (Death First appearance) that have hit the open market since last year (2022). All three have feature Death. One is currently in auction from the same issue, but it does not feature the character. 

Page 21 Sold on Apr 8, 2022 for $90K  on HA
Page 14 Sold on Nov 18, 2022 for $102K on HA 
Page 7 Sold on Jun 7, 2023 for $100.5K on Clink

IMHO, this is a far better page. Selling over 100K is not farfetched.

Sandman DEath Pages.jpg

Edited by Matches_Malone

On 10/24/2023 at 6:27 PM, Grendel72 said:

The incription by Gaiman rly hurts to see. Not that I could afford it but I wouldn't bid on it. 

Yep. The price point matters not, when the artwork is so badly defaced and in the absolute worst spot on the page - it just ruins the impact of the art, especially this page with incredibly powerful scenery and dialogue. Hopefully the person who buys it sets aside another $5-$8k to have it restored. 

It is the best page out of the ones previously for sale, but yikes: Gaiman might has well wiped his rear end with the artwork. It's pretty rough.

Edited by Dr. Balls

I like the signature and the message… if only we could turn a dial and make it a bit less dominant!  It becomes such a focal point. It would be hard to assess how much it would bug you without living with it for a while.

What would you do if you dropped all that cash and decided you couldn’t get used to it?!?

On 10/25/2023 at 1:26 PM, comix4fun said:

I normally really REALLY hate these. The care Gaiman took on this one makes it not as bad. In the blank space off to the side minimizes the detraction to me. 

Also, given what this page is...the absolute heartbreaking peak of this issue and Death's role in the Sandman universe....it's hard for me to even see the inscription beyond all that.

I see it the same. The signature won't affect its value. It is not like A+ pages from this issue are growing on trees. 

On 10/31/2023 at 6:03 AM, Matches_Malone said:

IMHO, this is a far better page. Selling over 100K is not farfetched.

Agreed, it's a great page.  The only question is whether bidders will be put off by superficial considerations such as the aesthetics of the inscription and signature by, you know, the guy who is the only reason why anyone even cares about this series.  

On 10/29/2023 at 11:56 PM, batman_fan said:
On 10/29/2023 at 10:38 AM, tth2 said:

:wishluck:

You know if it is something you want it will break a new record.

Who said it's something I want?

I just want it to go for a shockingly low price as a protest against creators signing OA!  How dare they!

On 10/31/2023 at 11:31 AM, batman_fan said:
On 10/31/2023 at 11:29 AM, tth2 said:

Who said it's something I want?

I just want it to go for a shockingly low price as a protest against creators signing OA!  How dare they!

At least he didn't "Stan Lee" it

I could actually understand the reaction better if it was Stan Lee that had actually signed it.

On 10/30/2023 at 9:34 PM, tth2 said:

I could actually understand the reaction better if it was Stan Lee that had actually signed it.

The funny thing is Stan would have signed it if you paid him.  I also don't mind signatures OA, now comics is different story

On 10/30/2023 at 11:34 PM, tth2 said:

The reaction isn't hard for us to parse out.   Its large, distracting and in the middle of the page.    If it was small and in the margins no one would say boo.

It sort of reminds me of how as a hobby, in the early days, we got books signed on the interior, often the page 1 margin, when the signatures were "for us."

It was only when signatures evolved into something for resale that people began to have the covers signed.... the grass roots desire to have the book signed tended heavily to have them signed unobtrusively so that the signature wouldn't distract.   That same desire is probably what bothers us as a hobby, at least some of us, when it comes to having a big white signature in the middle of what is supposed to be a large black moody space.

While it personally wouldn't stop me from buying the page if I was in the market for it, I might bid an increment or two less.    Its a bit distracting.

Obviously the comparison stops there as no one would have had gaiman sign it that way for resale considerations, but the basic desires at play are the same and as you hint at, Stan Lee's signatures are the best example of how for many people less is more when it comes to signatures.

There has to be a natural tipping point as to what people like and don't like in a signature after all.    Otherwise, we'd be getting every panel signed in multiple colors of sharpie.

Edited by Bronty

On 10/30/2023 at 10:34 PM, tth2 said:

There's a pretty good chance he did...black sharpie in the last panel. 

On 10/31/2023 at 7:15 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I wonder what Mike Dringenberg thinks when he sees this over his work.

Over a flat black background? Probably not much. 

I mean, he's never been a fan of respecting other people things, remembering the whole "To eBay" Sadfan debacle, wouldn't be appropriate to claim offense here. 
ForEbaySadfan.jpg.37a2980be0f488adba120ddff7915673.jpg

Edited by comix4fun

On 10/31/2023 at 8:15 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I wonder what Mike Dringenberg thinks when he sees this over his work.

It should be "Gaiman can do whatever the hell he wants on my art, because if I hadn't gotten the privilege of working on a series written by him, no one would remember who I am."

On 10/31/2023 at 11:20 AM, tth2 said:

It should be "Gaiman can do whatever the hell he wants on my art, because if I hadn't gotten the privilege of working on a series written by him, no one would remember who I am."

That's a bit misleading, yes? The "look" of Death was entirely Mike's creation and has been well documented.