• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a way to “unrestore” a purple label book that says ONLY “Cover cleaned”?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

There is nothing on the label or in the notes about trimming or color, touch or anything like that. The only thing it says is “cover cleaned. “. I’m wondering if anybody knows if this can be sent into CGC, worked on, and end up in a blue label case.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

IMG_1391.jpeg

IMG_3612.jpeg

On 10/26/2023 at 2:18 AM, flying_bison said:

There is nothing on the label or in the notes about trimming or color, touch or anything like that. The only thing it says is “cover cleaned. “. I’m wondering if anybody knows if this can be sent into CGC, worked on, and end up in a blue label case.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Books with trimming can have the pages leaf-casted and go from Purple to Conserved.

Color touch can be removed and go from Purple to Universal.

Cover cleaned is either Conserved or Restored depending on how it was done and cannot be reversed. 

On 10/26/2023 at 8:48 AM, Phill the Governor said:

Books with trimming can have the pages leaf-casted and go from Purple to Conserved.

Color touch can be removed and go from Purple to Universal.

Cover cleaned is either Conserved or Restored depending on how it was done and cannot be reversed. 

This is correct.  You can probably get it into a conserved label, but not blue. But it's rated B-1, which doesn't sound great for a cleaning.  

If it wasn't in the slab that says it was cleaned, is there some tip-off that it was cleaned? How can you tell, other than it looks particularly sharp? Was there some type of disclosure sent in with comic stating that it was cleaned, presumably professionally, at the time of grading?

I guess I am asking why you couldn't crack it and resubmit it and hope for a blue label?

On 10/26/2023 at 4:53 PM, Lightning55 said:

If it wasn't in the slab that says it was cleaned, is there some tip-off that it was cleaned? How can you tell, other than it looks particularly sharp? Was there some type of disclosure sent in with comic stating that it was cleaned, presumably professionally, at the time of grading?

I guess I am asking why you couldn't crack it and resubmit it and hope for a blue label?

No.

While it is possible.. something like cleaning that's in the resto scale is and should be something that has tell tale signs if you know what you're looking for: excessive whiteness with or without underlying stains still present, change in sizing, texture, feel, smell, etc....

On 10/26/2023 at 5:38 PM, The Lions Den said:

If you're not happy with the book being in your collection, sell it for a fair price and move on...

This make way too much sense. 

Unless you're one of those people that doesn't like to waste an opportunity to take advantage of someone else.  Then this is just loser talk.  :preach: