• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is A Man Called Nova a good read?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I’m very fond of it, as it was one of the first titles I connected with and bought on a regular basis when I started collecting seriously back in 1977.

That said, nostalgia aside, it’s fairly standard, generic Bronze Age super-hero material. Also remember that the final storyline gets concluded in John Byrne’s first run on Fantastic Four, issue 208 up.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Oh boy! I get to be Debbie Downer!

Nova is a title I bought new off the rack and I never cared for it very much. As Ken said, it was fairly standard and generic, and made in the mold of Spider-Man. (Just what we needed with 3 separate Spider-Man titles a month.) By the time the series ended I was barely reading it and just buying because it was a title I collected. In terms of art, I think batman_fan might be misremembering. The Sal Buscema/Tom Palmer duo was only on an issue or two. Mostly it was Sal with Giacoia or Sinnott inks. I like Sal, but this was the period where he was churning out what seemed like a dozen books a month and I found the results pretty rote and dull. Carmine Infantino took over around #15, with mostly Tom Palmer inks until the end of the run, but that still wasn't enough to pique my interest.

I really enjoyed it at first, but I remember thinking they took the "bad luck" of Peter Parker and just made it exponentially worse (imo). Still I really liked the design and the similarity to the green lantern corps. If I remember right, you had to finish the final story in the Fantastic Four, which actually got me interested in that book at the time.

Nova was the first non “classic 60s core” hero I became a huge fan of. He reminded me of Spidey except with way more power a bit less of a diva. I had a bunch of issues from LCS growing up and the full run was literally the first thing I bought on internet when rec.arts.comics.market was where you sent strangers money hoping you didn’t get ripped off (I went 4 for 6). I always thought they gave up on the character too quick as he had potential to be Marvel’s GL. 

On 10/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, Cman429 said:

Nova was the first non “classic 60s core” hero I became a huge fan of. He reminded me of Spidey except with way more power a bit less of a diva. I had a bunch of issues from LCS growing up and the full run was literally the first thing I bought on internet when rec.arts.comics.market was where you sent strangers money hoping you didn’t get ripped off (I went 4 for 6). I always thought they gave up on the character too quick as he had potential to be Marvel’s GL. 

I agree completely. I didn't really like the Larson Nova series, but enjoyed the one that spun out of Annihilation. I honestly, thought that was setting him and the Nova Corps up to be Marvel's Gl.

As a kid I loved the series pulling it from quarter bins in the 1980's.  Like many books read in my youth, I now finding it lacking but some of the art and covers are excellent. 

If you are not digitally inclined, pick up Essential Nova and decide if you want to pursue further

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/28/2023 at 8:28 AM, 1950's war comics said:

Nice ! a Nova with an original brown mailing wrapper and subscription crease would be something to see !

I know, right :facepalm: ?  Those essentially pointless mailing sleeves were all but worthless :frustrated:!

On 10/28/2023 at 1:35 PM, TRMN8R5 said:

I know, right :facepalm: ?  Those essentially pointless mailing sleeves were all but worthless :frustrated:!

What’s the highest grade given to a creased subscription copy that somehow, miraculously, has survived further damage while in transit?

Marvel would probably have an attitude similar in principle to Howard Rogofsky’s…

’A subscription crease, if carefully applied, is not considered a defect.’

On 10/27/2023 at 9:39 PM, Jeffcmeadows said:

I agree completely. I didn't really like the Larson Nova series, but enjoyed the one that spun out of Annihilation. I honestly, thought that was setting him and the Nova Corps up to be Marvel's Gl.

The initial Nova Corps mini series, the set up for Annihilation, was very good, and the main series started well with the introduction of Knowhere and Cosmo the Space Dog, but then it lost its way a bit by being included in one crossover event after another.

Worth a read, though.

I bought it off the comic rack when I was a kid and I really liked it up to around the Spider-man crossover and after that it didn't grab me as much. I continued to buy it because I had the first group of books but I stopped before the run concluded.