• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do we buy graded golden age comics? Support Group Thread........ Raw Sharing only!!!!!
3 3

70 posts in this topic

I am having issues lately since I got rid of all my graded comics........

I only want raw now so I can inspect the item myself.....

I've always been like that but this is becoming a real subject with me since comics have shifted to investments purely for most part now.

This became a thing with me in earnest when I was just walking around a comic shop one day and the owner was bragging to a friend about a submission he had to CGC.

He was explaining he took an incomplete key bronze marvel and married a page in it and sent it in to be graded. He got a blue label and a decent grade as it was pressed decent etc...... blah blah blah

The owner was just giddy with his ruse and the bragging about it???? I don't even know how to describe my reaction at the time..... I was more shocked at the store owner than the actual subject of the grading thing probably.

What a cheating person in life......

So here we are........ Graded things everywhere for kings ransoms and we have no clue what we are buying in reality.

This stuff is for real...... no joke my friends.....

We have zero clue if our item is legit.......

So..........

Why Do We Buy Graded Comics?

Please chime in. I need a support group................ Feel free to share your favorite raw comic you have inspected yourself!!!!!

Edited by JB123

On 10/28/2023 at 9:35 AM, Bookery said:

To be fair, the whole taboo of "married pages" is another of those strange idiosyncrasies of the comics community.  It's not like the centerfold was replaced with a reproduction... all of the material is still original, still part of the first release of that issue, still part of history.  So the staples don't match up perfectly... knock a couple of grades off.  In the collecting of first edition books, collectors switching out dust-jackets with the book underneath is common (not that there's really any way to tell in most cases).  Have a fine book, but ratty dj, and a nice dj on a book with a cocked spine, and most collectors will switch them out so that they have one overall nice copy and one uniformly lower-grade copy.  It's not a perfect analogy, of course, but close enough that it's worth contemplation.

Well - Lets build a bear......

I want an item as it was pulled or came off assembly etc.......

I can make things myself?

An original item that has been enjoyed and passed on is a comic book. It slowly degrades as time goes on and that is life and a fun game and hobby.

Anything else becomes another monster of its own in my mind. The monster is related to money.....

I feel we lose our collecting morals because we feel we may profit............ Or lose out......

What Say You......... 

On 10/28/2023 at 6:53 AM, JB123 said:

I can make things myself?

An original item that has been enjoyed and passed on is a comic book. It slowly degrades as time goes on and that is life and a fun game and hobby.

What Say You......... 

Love to marry a 1st wrap, loose covers or centerfold to resurrect a GA comic for reading pleasure. Cleveland con pic courtesy of Robert Beerbohm's fb page from circa ... ?

image.thumb.jpeg.ca039e880b41b43c4deca47531d8d2b1.jpeg

On 10/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, aardvark88 said:

Love to marry a 1st wrap, loose covers or centerfold to resurrect a GA comic for reading pleasure. Cleveland con pic courtesy of Robert Beerbohm's fb page from circa ... ?

Would you love to submit your married comic to CGC and receive a Blue Label? Kind Sir?

After you read it of course.......... You better.......

On 10/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, aardvark88 said:

How many times have you been Married? Kind Sir?

On 10/28/2023 at 9:02 AM, JB123 said:

Would you love to submit your married comic to CGC and receive a Blue Label?

After you read it of course.

Yes, as after slabbing a coverless and/or married GA, one can still read the first and last page entombed. Pic from Cleveland con 1960s:

image.thumb.jpeg.40de77d4041380db72e66236655de80e.jpeg

Commoditization, as RM notes above, is the only reason to get a book slabbed, or to buy a book that has been slabbed.  When I'm looking for a new-to-me used car, I take it to a mechanic I know to look it over and make sure there's no hidden damage or serious mechanical issues.  In a way, CGC serves the same purpose giving the buyer some confidence that a book they're considering is in a certain condition and therefore has a certain value based on other recent sales of that book in that condition.  A significant percentage of the hobby has agreed that it will accept this arrangement.

Now, I personally greatly prefer raw books and that's mostly what I buy.  But I can see the value in having "keys" and other expensive books in slabbed condition if only to forestall any debate over condition and approximate value.

On 10/28/2023 at 12:08 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Commoditization, as RM notes above, is the only reason to get a book slabbed, or to buy a book that has been slabbed.  When I'm looking for a new-to-me used car, I take it to a mechanic I know to look it over and make sure there's no hidden damage or serious mechanical issues.  In a way, CGC serves the same purpose giving the buyer some confidence that a book they're considering is in a certain condition and therefore has a certain value based on other recent sales of that book in that condition.  A significant percentage of the hobby has agreed that it will accept this arrangement.

Now, I personally greatly prefer raw books and that's mostly what I buy.  But I can see the value in having "keys" and other expensive books in slabbed condition if only to forestall any debate over condition and approximate value.

What You Can Do When Your Car Breaks Down In Traffic

On 10/28/2023 at 12:06 PM, aardvark88 said:

Yes, as after slabbing a coverless and/or married GA, one can still read the first and last page entombed. Pic from Cleveland con 1960s:

image.thumb.jpeg.40de77d4041380db72e66236655de80e.jpeg

Tomb Of Horror? or Tomb Of The Dead? Tales From The Tomb?

On 10/28/2023 at 12:14 PM, JB123 said:

Tomb Of Horror? or Tomb Of The Dead? Tales From The Tomb?

I had a comic one time that was so incomplete it was Tombless. CGC refused to slab it!!!!!!!!!

Comic Jokes!!!!!

Anyone got any?

I am relatively new to GA, I buy graded books not only so I know what's up with it - but to also avoid the hassle of dealing with sending back something that is incomplete, missing stuff, etc. Of course, the OPs story about CGC not catching a married page on a submission could also be a new factor we're seeing more and more of.

I've got a few PLODS and GLODS, and I honestly don't bat an eye at resto or married pages - not on GA.

I've been surprised enough times on GA books I bought raw to convince me to buy slabs. The only GA books I buy raw are beaters (2.0 max) at a discount, so if there's unforeseen problems I can either live with it or deal with the inconvenience at a price point that doesn't feel too risky.

On 10/28/2023 at 12:22 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I am relatively new to GA, I buy graded books not only so I know what's up with it - but to also avoid the hassle of dealing with sending back something that is incomplete, missing stuff, etc. Of course, the OPs story about CGC not catching a married page on a submission could also be a new factor we're seeing more and more of.

I've got a few PLODS and GLODS, and I honestly don't bat an eye at resto or married pages - not on GA.

I've been surprised enough times on GA books I bought raw to convince me to buy slabs. The only GA books I buy raw are beaters (2.0 max) at a discount, so if there's unforeseen problems I can either live with it or deal with the inconvenience at a price point that doesn't feel too risky.

If PLODS and GLODS are all MODS..........

Are all MODS, GLODS?

Any thoughts?

On 10/28/2023 at 12:53 PM, D84 said:

MY BATMAN #9: I married the centerfold, knowing that the tear through the entire book (minus the centerfold) and the main book is miscut (centerfold is square) should make it obvious to catch, but...

2030899-002f.thumb.jpg.f9dd376d43921c4325c8dab7c4fccc4c.jpg

I've cracked the book out and decided to not trust slabs anymore than I would a raw copy.

OMG that explains your picture for chat? I feel your consternation!!!!!!!!!

On 10/28/2023 at 12:53 PM, D84 said:

I've cracked the book out and decided to not trust slabs anymore than I would a raw copy.

I would buy lots of comics if they were not slabbed.

The prices get near real estate depending on your area.......

Why would I spend billions on an item without a proper title search? I'm a title search expert and they won't let me in the file?