• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You paid what for that?
1 1

213 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2023 at 9:32 AM, namisgr said:

I paid 25 cents each in 1974 for these comics, part of over a thousand books bought off the rack between 1972 and '76.

Hulk180.jpg.72d360fe032d1d9e2f18be74bff9d728.jpg    Hulk181front.thumb.jpg.b756eac0bc1343c54da47dc590742dbc.jpg   Hulk182.jpg.7217372da4743d3a2aa99826104792df.jpg

You paid how much for the first appearance of Crackerjack Jackson?

An absolute steal.

Congrats.

On 10/29/2023 at 9:54 PM, JollyComics said:

I know few people own the original video arcades at homes but no Asteroids. :cry:

I bought a console that has 61 games on it, such as Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong I, II, and III, Frogger, Centipede, Dig-Dug (my favorite), Galaga, Galaxian, Breakout, Burger Time, Zaxxon, and many others. Unfortunately, no Defender, no Asteroids, and no Q-Bert (another favorite of mine). My grandchildren and I play multiple games every time they come over to visit.

On 10/30/2023 at 12:30 AM, davidking623 said:
On 10/29/2023 at 9:58 PM, KCOComics said:

I was bigger on Space Invaders. I had it for the Atari 2600 (the reboot. The original 2600 was before my time). 

1983 Ms Pacman is my favorite. There are 3 places in New England that I know of that still have original ones.

I just played a Pac Man at Costco like 6 or 7 times getting killed every time it felt like the original and stood just as tall as I remember . They wanted around 600 for it and when I went back a few days later they were all gone , I was surprised . Not that I was buying it ,just surprised they were all gone . Now i am gonna go search Ebay did I miss out on the new flip . 

They're called Arcade1up

Arcade1Up | Officially Licensed Arcade Cabinets

If it is anything like my Sams club :) I own a Final Fight/GhostandGoblins/1944 cabinet, along with a TMNT #1&2 countertop arcade.

Arcade 1up are made well, but are about half the cost of the original old stuff. While Arcade 1up are new, some are made smaller to be cheaper, eh to make it affordable. Most importantly most cabinets come with more than one game loaded to choose from.

All good :) but check them out! The more pricey ones are the "shooters" like the Terminator 2 Cabinet.

The best part is you have infinite lives and can play all the way through in one sitting. Most have multiplayer, which is good for guests to play with!

3547012_Full_Rev.jpg

4004235_Full_Rev.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/30/2023 at 9:31 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

They're called Arcade1up

Arcade1Up | Officially Licensed Arcade Cabinets

If it is anything like my Sams club :) I own a Final Fight/GhostandGoblins/1944 cabinet, along with a TMNT #1&2 countertop arcade.

Arcade 1up are made well, but are about half the cost of the original old stuff. While Arcade 1up are new, some are made smaller to be cheaper, eh to make it affordable. Most importantly most cabinets come with more than one game loaded to choose from.

All good :) but check them out! The more pricey ones are the "shooters" like the Terminator 2 Cabinet.

The best part is you have infinite lives and can play all the way through in one sitting. Most have multiplayer, which is good for guests to play with!

3547012_Full_Rev.jpg

4004235_Full_Rev.jpg

I love that lol.

I'm afraid if I actually bought one,  I would never have time to play it and it would become furniture! My kids would like it for at least 15 minutes.  

On 10/30/2023 at 9:04 AM, KCOComics said:

I love that lol.

I'm afraid if I actually bought one,  I would never have time to play it and it would become furniture! My kids would like it for at least 15 minutes.  

Ya when I first got it I took those pics for relative back cover pics in the registry, ie all american men at war, and hellboy. tenatively....

If I took pics now, it IS furniture for sure! So trust your gut. I still make time to play it every once in a while, but as it is in my comics room, it is now surrounded by empty boxes and etc

Except the TMNT, it gets played more often :) 

I paid like a little under 160.00 which includes tax money in 2019 , for my Asteroids Arcade 1Up. I used money saved from my Mom's birthday money and Christmas money for a couple years I figured if I saved it and waited for it to go on sale I would get it as long as I was only using the Money gifted to me . So after going to check out Asteroids on Walmart last night I ran into it for a grand the exact same one here . https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcade1Up-Asteroids-Arcade-Machine-4ft/828150107?from=/search If I have time I will take a picture of the playing part of it as it has been extremely used very well .

I saw a table top model that supposedly has the same size screen as the original games.  It was on a shopping network for $399 but I found it online for $249.  It's got two Pac-Man plus some weird Pac-Man-like game, Galaxia and Space Invaders. It's perfect for my needs.

On 10/30/2023 at 12:37 AM, VintageComics said:

I was a Donkey Kong and Frogger guy, but more DK. 

I used to have a paper route across the road from our local mall and after collecting paper route money I would go straight to the arcade and spend all my cash on those games. 

What in incredibly fun time to be a kid in the 80s. There was a crossover of good times in the 80s as the digital age was just setting in so got a little of everything. 

We played kickball in the streets, Monopoly in our homes, we had a field at the end of our cul de sac so we had tree forts and bike paths, and we had the era of video games appear. 

It was a great time to be a kid. 

Good Times , the good ole days !

On 10/29/2023 at 7:48 PM, JollyComics said:

I played for 4.5 hours on one quarter and got 477,300 points on Asteroids.

Asteroids was my jam back in the day and could play for hours on one quarter. I miss the cigarette burns on the control deck lol!

Two other favorites were Robotron 2084 and Dragon's Lair.

On 10/30/2023 at 3:34 AM,  VintageComics said: 

Can you guys please stop talking about video games?

I'm worried that my stalkers are going to have this thread moved to the WC too. 

:roflmao:

Stalkers?  You make more posts on the boards and have written an order of magnitude more words than any other forumite.  Even those like me who've put you on ignore can't escape from the plethora of posts and their frequent showing up anyway as quotations in other posts, often dealing with topics either forbidden all across the boards, or those appropriate only for the Water Cooler.  
You also have no idea how infrequently many of us call for moderation by reporting your posts, particularly since those of us using the ignore feature are spared from at least 9 out of every 10 of them, and have given up bothering to pay attention.

Finally, since I don't have access to the first 6 posts in the thread, I took the thread title at face value and posted on it in regards to comic book buys.  It seems like a good topic and I'm interested in the experiences of others related to it, so I most certainly have no gripe with the title topic of the thread.  The Golden Age forum has one like it, but with focus on Gold, and it makes for a very entertaining read.

Edited by namisgr

On 10/30/2023 at 11:26 AM, universal soldier said:

Asteroids was my jam back in the day and could play for hours on one quarter. I miss the cigarette burns on the control deck lol!

There is a Dragons Lair Arcade 1 up, at the link I provided earlier or just google acrade 1 up for their site.

It is fun for cheaper than an official older cabinet, for me, they are about the cost of one typical slab per month. I got mine from when I had periodically taken a break so to speak from the comic hubbub, BUB! :whee: @universal soldier 87 reviews

image.png.5a9967aa9968bb84a0a1c6b7e670150d.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I probably wouldn't push it so much, as I know even for causal gamers it is a space commitment. 

I also know this time of the year there are eventually discounts around the sales of the holidays etc. 

On 10/30/2023 at 11:26 AM, universal soldier said:

I remember the quarters lined up along the bottom of the screen when the first Space Invaders machine was installed in the Student Union, not unlike quarters lined up on the pinball machines. It seemed like it was in use 24 hours a day.

On 10/30/2023 at 1:13 PM, Math Teacher said:

I remember the quarters lined up along the bottom of the screen when the first Space Invaders machine was installed in the Student Union, not unlike quarters lined up on the pinball machines. It seemed like it was in use 24 hours a day.

I remember the 80s when new arcade machines came out every weekend.  In South Florida, we had the largest arcade in the world in the mid 80s called Grand Prix Race O Rama.  It was literally a block long and would get in multiples of each machine.  I remember when Punchout came out and they probably had 10 of them.  When I would come home on breaks from college, me and my buddies would go to the Fort Lauderdale Strip and on the way home stop in Grand Priz at 1AM and play games.  Those were the days! I have owned nearly every video game system ever made but sold most of them a few years ago.  I am still a very avid gamer on Xbox, PS5 and Switch.  To me, games and comics always went hand in hand.